UPS Center in the Big Nasty FAIL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I went to the customer center at the main UPS center in New Orleans East to ship some ammo. First of all, the lady at the counter was in no way rude or impatient. Very sweet actually. Just really clueless. She said they have to open every box and check the contents before they can ship it. Ok, no problem. When she saw it was ammo she went :eek4: and said she didn't think she could accept that. I told her that she could, and to just check their own policy. She then asked if I as a gun dealer, to which I replied "No, but I am not shipping a gun" (even though I could). Then, she said she wanted to call her supervisor and make sure. She calls him, and he doesn't know if they can accept it either. Finally, I asked her if I needed to call the 800 number for UPS, or did she want to do it. She called and they told her it is fine as long as there was a ORM-D sticker on the box, which there was.

It isn't bad enough the lady who worked at the UPS facility didn't know her own rules, but for the supervisor to be just as clueless! It boggles the mind.

Also, the supervisor said that after the 1st of the year she couldn't accept ammo shipments anymore. Anybody know about a policy change coming??

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I went to the customer center at the main UPS center in New Orleans East to ship some ammo. First of all, the lady at the counter was in no way rude or impatient. Very sweet actually. Just really clueless. She said they have to open every box and check the contents before they can ship it. Ok, no problem. When she saw it was ammo she went :eek4: and said she didn't think she could accept that. I told her that she could, and to just check their own policy. She then asked if I as a gun dealer, to which I replied "No, but I am not shipping a gun" (even though I could). Then, she said she wanted to call her supervisor and make sure. She calls him, and he doesn't know if they can accept it either. Finally, I asked her if I needed to call the 800 number for UPS, or did she want to do it. She called and they told her it is fine as long as there was a ORM-D sticker on the box, which there was.

It isn't bad enough the lady who worked at the UPS facility didn't know her own rules, but for the supervisor to be just as clueless! It boggles the mind.

Also, the supervisor said that after the 1st of the year she couldn't accept ammo shipments anymore. Anybody know about a policy change coming??

That is very common and in some places you are required to go to a specific store referred to as a HUB such as Port Allen or Hammond and they do inspect the contents before packing and shipping.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    I went through the same thing at UPS on brownswitch .I was trying to ship an ACOG scope .....She wouldn't take it "it was a gun part " .
    So i went to the UPS store on Gause and sent it .:D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I had great luck shipping both lots of ammo and rifles at both UPS hub locations (NOLA and Covington). No problems at all. The UPS stores are a joke though.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I went through the same thing at UPS on brownswitch .I was trying to ship an ACOG scope .....She wouldn't take it "it was a gun part " .
    So i went to the UPS store on Gause and sent it .:D

UPS Stores are not owned by UPS and can't ship any gun parts per their contract with UPS.
    You have to go to the UPS HUB, have UPS pick it up or hand it to the UPS driver.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I had great luck shipping both lots of ammo and rifles at both UPS hub locations (NOLA and Covington). No problems at all. The UPS stores are a joke though.

Im glad you have luck in Covington. Everytime I go to ship something gun related, I get **** from one of the ladies there. Its comical and most of the time I just laugh and go back when someone else is there or I run to the post office. I just like UPS tracking better than USPS.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    UPS Stores are not owned by UPS and can't ship any gun parts per their contract with UPS.
    You have to go to the UPS HUB, have UPS pick it up or hand it to the UPS driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_UPS_Store

"The UPS Store, Inc., franchisor of The UPS Store brand, is a wholly owned subsidiary of United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS)."

They used to be called Mail Boxes, etc. until UPS bought them out.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_UPS_Store

"The UPS Store, Inc., franchisor of The UPS Store brand, is a wholly owned subsidiary of United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS)."

They used to be called Mail Boxes, etc. until UPS bought them out.

The franchise is owned by UPS, the individual stores are owned by franchisees.
    One of the UPS Store owners is a member and sponsor here.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    A quote from macmail, member and sponsor here and owner of The UPS Store at Siegen Lane.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?68475-So-What-is-The-UPS-Store
    Now that you know at least some of what the UPS Store is and can do for you, let me explain briefly what The UPS Store is NOT.

The UPS Store is NOT:

-Owned by UPS
    -Neither myself nor employee’s work for UPS
    -The UPS Store’s DO NOT have, drive, or dispatch the *brown trucks*
    -The UPS Store’s DO NOT control the delivery of, or the time of delivery of packages on the *brown trucks*
    -By Contract, The UPS Stores are not allowed to and DOES NOT ship hazardous materials. This includes ammunition, anything in a box marked hazardous materials, certain batteries, corrosives, and certainly no explosives. Read more Here, towards the bottom of the fourth paragraph.
    - By Contract, The UPS Stores are not allowed to and DO NOT SHIP GUNS or gun parts!! Period. Read more Here, bottom paragraph. I truly wish I could, but it’s not my rule.

Do not misunderstand; UPS, The brown truck people, CAN and WILL ship firearms. *The UPS Store*, the retail outlet, cannot. If there is ever any doubt whether or not my store can ship your item, please call ahead.

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    UPS also fails in ammo delivery. They steal ammo orders. I have had it happen twice in the past 3 months or so. I called Sportsman's Guide and Ammo to Go on both occasions and both said they were having a major ammo theft problem with UPS. SG said they were going to switch to FedEx because of this same thing happening all across the country.

I have a large number of CCTV cameras that are recording 24/7 and at the time the drivers said they "delivered" the packages to the "front door" there was no UPS truck in sight. I had one truck drive past but never stop. The camera does not lie so I can prove they never stopped. The shippers didn't want the videos and just sent replacements orders.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Im glad you have luck in Covington. Everytime I go to ship something gun related, I get **** from one of the ladies there. Its comical and most of the time I just laugh and go back when someone else is there or I run to the post office. I just like UPS tracking better than USPS.

Well it has been a couple years since I shipped ammo there, but the first time I went in armed for battle with UPS guidelines printed out and the corporate number saved in my phone. Surprisingly the black lady behind the counter didn't even bat an eye when I told her it was ammo, she just checked for the ORM-D labels and asked if I had any .38 to sell. :D

Same result shipping a couple rifles from the NOLA location, lady there knew the deal, asked for the FFL info and I was in and out in 5 minutes.

The Fedex hub in Covington is a different story, I had a nightmare of an ordeal trying to ship a handgun there and will never go back.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    as far as I know....

If you walk in there to ship ammo and you want them to print the label and you pay them on the spot for shipping costs, yes most times they will open the box
    If you walk in there with the label already printed from your FREE TO SIGN UP FOR ups account, they will not (or have never for me) opened up any box. It gets billed to your CC after shipment is complete.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I shipped ammo twice this year via UPS, and went to the UPS Customer Center on Firestone out in Metairie.

Neither time did they give me an issue, although I was miffed the first go round at having my careful tape job cut open so they could look at it.

If they're changing policy/not shipping after the New Year... I'm pretty much screwed. As I'd assume a lot of Internet gun/ammo sellers are as well...

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Is there an advantage to UPS over FedEx?

I've shipped firearms back to manufacturers through FedEx stores a couple of times with no problems.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Not sure if you can ship ammo through Fed-Ex. Anyone know? I just shipped 500 rounds of Xm193 to cali through UPS in port allen, cost me $34.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The franchise is owned by UPS, the individual stores are owned by franchisees.
    One of the UPS Store owners is a member and sponsor here.

I think that's like saying McDonald's restaurants are not owned by McDonald's. OK, true, but they do fall under the purview of McDonald's, Inc. They're not an entirely separate entity.

A quote from macmail, member and sponsor here and owner of The UPS Store at Siegen Lane.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?68475-So-What-is-The-UPS-Store

By Contract, The UPS Stores are not allowed to and DOES NOT ship hazardous materials. This includes ammunition, anything in a box marked hazardous materials, certain batteries, corrosives, and certainly no explosives. Read more Here, towards the bottom of the fourth paragraph.

By Contract, The UPS Stores are not allowed to and DO NOT SHIP GUNS or gun parts!! Period. Read more Here, bottom paragraph. I truly wish I could, but it’s not my rule.

Ammunition is NOT considered a hazardous material. Primers and gun powder is but not ammo. Ammo falls under ORM-D, not "hazardous material". That's why you have to pay a hazardous materials fee when ordering primers or powder but not ammo.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/hazardous/service_definition.html

"UPS does not accept hazardous materials shipments at UPS Customer Centers, The UPS Store®, Air Letter Centers, Authorized Shipping Outlets, commercial counters, or using Internet shipping. Ground shipments of ORM-D materials in the 48 contiguous States may be accepted at some locations."

Nothing at this link says the UPS Store cannot accept firearm parts, just firearms.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

"UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
    UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
    Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally."

"Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer."

I don't know if it is in the UPS Store contract but it certainly isn't in those two links macmail referenced.

as far as I know....

If you walk in there to ship ammo and you want them to print the label and you pay them on the spot for shipping costs, yes most times they will open the box
    If you walk in there with the label already printed from your FREE TO SIGN UP FOR ups account, they will not (or have never for me) opened up any box. It gets billed to your CC after shipment is complete.

Maybe that's why I never have a problem. I have a UPS account (free to set up, big discount on shipping even if a low volume shipper).

UPS also fails in ammo delivery. They steal ammo orders. I have had it happen twice in the past 3 months or so. I called Sportsman's Guide and Ammo to Go on both occasions and both said they were having a major ammo theft problem with UPS. SG said they were going to switch to FedEx because of this same thing happening all across the country.

I have a large number of CCTV cameras that are recording 24/7 and at the time the drivers said they "delivered" the packages to the "front door" there was no UPS truck in sight. I had one truck drive past but never stop. The camera does not lie so I can prove they never stopped. The shippers didn't want the videos and just sent replacements orders.

Technology win. If it is a problem they should just require a signature on delivery. I wonder if the theft problem is only in certain areas. Did you talk to UPS about the non-delivery with video proof? It seems they would want to take care of that.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Not sure if you can ship ammo through Fed-Ex. Anyone know? I just shipped 500 rounds of Xm193 to cali through UPS in port allen, cost me $34.

As I was figuring out what carrier to use, I got the impression that UPS was the only way to go.

IOW, I'm pretty sure that FedEx doesn't take ammo/ORM-D.

As to the theft of ammo packages-- I'd LOVE to read about some 9mm Major on its way to a Major match that got stolen. Sucks for the shooter of course-- but hilarious when the thief loads it up and blows hi Hi-Pernt to smitherines.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've had amazing luck with UPS on Commission Blvd here in Lafayette.

Just shipped a handgun to a buddy's FFL in Illinois. I expected all sorts of **** to go through. Went there and the lady had no issue. Never opened the box, hesitated, or had a question about it. I had the copy of the FFL in-hand in case she wanted to verify and she never even asked. Just put the address in and said "thank you". I had my **** straight on it too, though. I knew it had to be Next Day Air (legitimate-wallet-rape) and so there were no hiccups.

I was told be a buddy later that they don't ask to see the FFL because their software automatically checks the FFL database, apparently, to see if the address is valid. He said once he transposed a couple digits and they rejected the address, he saw, fixed the numbers, and they took it. So apparently that's why.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom