Urgent: (CALL NOW!) Amendment 2 discussion on WRNO 99.5 (Lines are open)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    I don't want to see 14:95 go away.

JR1572

There are provisions within 14:95 that could be unconstitutional -- right now. You would prefer a law-abiding Louisiana being charged with a misdemeanor for having a concealed weapon in his or her home or on private property? That raises constitutional flags -- another reason this amendment is important.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    There are provisions within 14:95 that could be unconstitutional -- right now. You would prefer a law-abiding Louisiana being charged with a misdemeanor for having a concealed weapon in his or her home or on private property? That raises constitutional flags -- another reason this amendment is important.

"Could be unconstitutional" isn't "unconstitutional".

JR1572

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I don't want to see 14:95 go away.

JR1572
    Why not get more permits? Like we could have one that limits speaking out in public or maybe only select people should be able to vote? Better yet instead of guns for wife and granny we can issue state of emergency necklaces. They probably could not defend themselves well enough anyways right? 14:95A should never been there in the first place. Criminals don't care about what law thier breaking to and from thier crimes.

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    "Could be unconstitutional" isn't "unconstitutional".

JR1572

Correct. I am only giving an opinion. It would take a court challenge for a definitive answer.

However, post-Heller and McDonald, I would have a heard time believing, when the possession of a firearm in the home is part of the "core" of the right, having a criminal restriction on how you lawfully possess/carry a firearm -- in the home -- is not an infringement of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. As you know, post-McDonald, the Second Amendment now applies to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment.

Under rational basis, it would likely survive. However, SCOTUS plainly asserted rational basis cannot protect a fundamental right -- including the right to keep and bear arms. This is one of the main reasons the standard of review is being changed under the proposed state-level amendment. Under intermediate or strict scrutiny, most courts have relied on intermediate, it is likely to be an infringement.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I'd like to see the permits gone. Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get one. I'd like to be able to carry concealed sometimes.
    I think you'll find the majority feels the same way next week if they can figure out the wording on the ballot.

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Here is the ballot question:

Do you support an amendment to the Constitution of the State of Louisiana to provide that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right and any restriction of that right requires the highest standard of review by a court?

AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    I love all of the detailed legal questions and jargon, however, when speaking to the public we need to speak simply so as to do exactly what the "other-side" is doing. Simple examples and statements that appeal to their emotion. You only have :30 second and you need to get a sound-byte that the voters will remember and sway their decision.

I like what Paul Ryan said when he was nominated for Vice President -- "Our Rights are given by God and Nature, not by the Government"

These anti-gun politicians only seek to restrict the rights of the citizens. When in fact the US Constitution was set to restrict what the government can do not the citizens. That is why each of the Amendments language states that the gov't "Shall Not"

New Orleans is in the top ten of cities with violent crimes. Other cities that are ahead of New Orleans are Chicago and DC which have even stricter gun control laws. In Chicago you are not allowed to defend yourself in your own home. This is why a fundamental right such as the right to keep and bear arms deserves the level of review as called for through "strict scrutiny"

Simple language that the voters can understand and apply to their own situation.

Last edited:

NRA80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Having the permits go away would make travel difficult... no more reciprocity.

"IF" that were to happen, like in other permitless carry states, a voluntary permit system would likely be implemented -- specifically to allow Louisianans to exercise their rights in other states.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    The most crucial thing I heard was when the DA openly said that the 2nd amendment is NOT a fundamental right such as freedom of speech, religion, etc.

Everything else was just fearmongering.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The most crucial thing I heard was when the DA openly said that the 2nd amendment is NOT a fundamental right such as freedom of speech, religion, etc.

Alarms went off when I heard that, too. He obviously believes the Founders and the current SC are all idiots. Must be angling for an appointment to the bench.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Everything else was just fearmongering.

Lots of existential angst, no doubt, but there were shreds of honesty there. Laws are made for the LCD (lowest common denominator). When it's done that way, rights are gutted. He supported that by claiming his duty was to "protect public safety" in Orleans. WY, NV, VT, AK - not a single, solitary, factual static from any of those states support any deleterious consequence from concealed carry and public safety. I guess there's some fundamental difference in their citizenry?

Top Bottom