Using Hard Cast Bullets with Hi Tek Coating

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I've been reloading hard cast bullets from Missouri bullet in .44 Spl, 45 Colt, and 45 ACP. I see now that both Missouri Bullet and Bayou Bullet are offering hard cast with Hi Tek coatings. It is supposed to reduce barrel leading amoung other things such as reducing lead contact, etc.

What's been the experience with using these coated bullets? Is it worth the extra .01-0.02 per round?

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Bayou Bullets is all I shoot, 9mm and 45ACP. I have put thousands of Bayou bullet down the pipe, with NO leading at all. Just one or 2 passes with a bore snake with some solvent of your choice and the barrel is good to go (at least for me).
    Now, is it worth the .01-.02 per round. Yes. Donnie is a local guy and I help support the local guys as much as possible. His customer service is the best there is.

Bryan

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    If you are getting leading with uncoated bullets, then yes , the extra cost of the high-tech coating will be worth solving the leading problem. Lots of shooters swear by coated.
    Gary

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    I've been using Bayou Bullets for a couple of years in 9mm and 45acp. Prior to that Precision bullets. Both are excellent but I also like to buy local and its a local reloading supply ( La. Reloading in BR ) and a Louisiana company that are getting my dollars. Less costly than ordering and more than pleased with the product. A bonus is that my hands are never dirty from handling these rounds.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Ditto on what Bryanbag and 4thMiss said. BB are the way to go. Donnie has always returned my phone calls, filled my orders promptly and helped troubleshoot a problem I was having with loading the .40 caliber ones- resolved. I trust them enough to run through an M1A Thompson and they DO NOT lead.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered some sample packs from BB last week. My question was more on the collective experience of the coated bullets versus non-coated.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    I'm in the same boat as Bryan & 4th as well. Bayou 9mm and 45's have been awesome for me. I didn't really look for a cheaper alternative once I found them.

Mr. Donnie was great to deal with and was more than happy to answer all of my questions.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've been using Coated Bullets from Donnie at Bayou Bullets for a short time now. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I'm shooting .30 carbine at velocities that would require a gas checked bullet in conventionally cast. My bore is cleaner after shooting than before.

They're cheaper than plated bullets, and you can push them faster.

I'm reloading them in 9mm, .38/.357 mag, .30 carbine, and .45 acp. All with great results.

But wait, . . . There's more.

My dies aren't getting full of lube, which can cause problems with overall cartridge length.

No smoke associated with burning lube at the range.

No sticky fingers from handling lubed bullets.

And they're colorful. :)

My only problem is that Donnie won't make bullets for my .32/20, so I'm going to start powder coating those myself.

In conclusion, while sliced bread might have been a good development, these coated bullets are great.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks! My order of assorted 100 round packs (which is awesome in itself) in 9mm and ,45 arrived last week. Looking forward to loading them up. For those that load 9mm, are you shooting them in a glock? It seems that people have different results. I've read some stories about leading leading to issues.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    No problems here, Running Donnie Bullet in my 34 for a couple year and my 41 a couple months (only had it a couple months) . Accuracy has been awesome in both. No leading what so ever, at least for me.

Top Bottom