USPSA 9mm minor loads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I've been working on a 9mm managed recoil load that will meet USPSA minor power factor and function reliably in a G17 at the same time. So far my best luck has been with between 4.0 and 4.5 grains of W231 under a 124 grain plated bullet. Hopefully by posting this in the competition thread I'll be able to barrow some experience that may save me some time at the reloading bench. Anyone care to throw out a few suggested loads that I can cross-reference with published data?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I'm using 115gr Ranier HP with 5.0gr IMR 7625 for now. Will be using 125gr Bayou Bullet in the very near future. Powder for the Bayou Bullet is still unknown.
    www.bayoubullets.net

Last edited:

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thanks for the info, folks-

ForrestB, does that American Select load cycle reliably in your Glock (I assume 17 or 34) without modification?

scooterj, I had a chance to speak with Donnie M. at an EAPS match and I'm interested in getting my hands on some Bayou Bullets also. He mentioned that they should pose no leading problem for polygonal rifling, so I'm looking forward to giving them a shot in the gock. I'm anxious to see the results.

ForrestB

Wife Shoots Also
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Luling, La.
    Thanks for the info, folks-

ForrestB, does that American Select load cycle reliably in your Glock (I assume 17 or 34) without modification?

scooterj, I had a chance to speak with Donnie M. at an EAPS match and I'm interested in getting my hands on some Bayou Bullets also. He mentioned that they should pose no leading problem for polygonal rifling, so I'm looking forward to giving them a shot in the gock. I'm anxious to see the results.

The 3.4 gr. load of American Select cycles reliably in mt Glock 17 and my XD Tactical. Both have stock springs in them. It is pretty clean burning, nothing like N320, which is the best. I use 3.2 gr. of n320 over the 125 gr. GAT Bullet with grest results also. If I can help with anything else just give me shout. Take Care, Forrest:D

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    3.3 grains of Titegroup with a Zero 147 gr JHP bullet: makes a PF of around 136-8 in my Glock 34. I used a 13# ISMI spring. My G17 with the same load will chrono maybe 3 lower than that.

A word of caution: before you try to get a load that just breaks 125 PF, remember this. At a major match you may be chronoed first thing in the morning in the fall or mid-day in May. Some powders are more temp sensitive than others. You lose the chrono stage (i.e. below 125), there's no alternative for minor Production but shooting for no score. Make sure your preferred load makes minor under different conditions. And give yourself a little wiggle room: I've seen chronos at major matches vary plus or minus 2 or 3 from my chrono and from match to match.

I find my gun is a little more responsive with a PF in the upper 130s. YMMV.

Last edited:

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    "ForrestB, does that American Select load cycle reliably in your Glock (I assume 17 or 34) without modification?"

Robert, I have some American Select if you would like to give it a run. I really don't like the way it meters as compared to WW 231, E-3, Solo 1000, and VV N-320.

The Winchester pamphlet list the 9 mm 124 grain lead RN at 4.0 grains of WW 231 for 1035 fps.=128 pf. / Using WSF 4.7 grains for 1055 fps=130 pf.

124g FMJ at 4.5 of WW 231 for 1060 fps.=131 pf. /Using WSF 5.3 grains for 1115 fps.=138 pf. with the minimum being 4.7 grains for 1015 fps=125 pf.

Glock does not recommend the use of lead bullets in their pistols. I have shot a good many lead and moly through my G34 without any problems. I have friends that have shot thousands upon thousands (lead) through theirs without problems.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Is there a reloading thread on BS where everyone lists their favorite reloading recipes? Projectile, case, primer, powder, oal, etc. I tried someones favorites in 9mm last year and they were more accurate than any factory ball ammunition I compared them with.

Top Bottom