USPSA ammo question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjamesmann

Sheepdog
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm new to USPSA and am trying to keep it a budget hobby for the time being. I was wondering if anyone had opinions or suggestions for a quality 9mm ammo sold at academy or the likes. Winchester 100 rd value box? Remington umc 250 rd box? 115gr 0r 124gr? I'm shooting in the production class, Taurus 92 with a kkm precision barrel, I just want a reasonably priced, reliable and consistent factory ammo till I take the plunge into reloading!

Thanks - James

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Freedommunitions.Com has quality and affordable ammo. Reloads or new. Last time u ordered 1K rounds of 115grn 9mm reloads it was under $200/shipped.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have been using freedommunitions as well shooting the 115 gr new and remanufactured stuff. I had zero problems with the new ammo. I have had a few failure to fire issues with the re-man. Not sure why as I would think they would use the same components except used brass.

If you do order go ahead and make it a big one! Shipping is free for your first time. I ordered 1000 rounds. Wish I would have made it 3-4K as there is no free ride after the first shipment.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Check around before buying Freedom Munitions as many are having issues with their ammunition.. One shooter saw 3 squib loads in 1 day between 2 shooters using Freedom Munitions.
    The Academy brand Monarch? is another to stay away from.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Some quotes from different competition shooters on Freedom Munitions:

1.At the Vogel class I hosted in June two guys were running the 115gr Freedom Munitions ammo and both were experiencing an average of like 1 light primer strike every 20 rounds with it.
    2. I bought a few thousand rounds of their 124 gr remanufactured and had a lot of issues with both my wife and my glock 34s. So much so that every stage we shot at the last two local 3gun matches had at least one light primer strike. I changed our striker springs from 2 and 4lbs to to 6lbs and still had every 20 or so get light hits. I even have a extended skeletonized striker. We bought a bunch of walmart 115 gr and took those to shoot SMM3G and had zero issues. I'm only using FM for practice anymore. from the few boxes i just looked at these are brass colored primers and sit very flat and a bit deep compared to federal
    3. I was talking ammo at Fredericksburg USPSA yesteray and they told me horror stories about Freedom Munitions NEW brass failing them in a variety of ways: squibs, inconsistent power factor, and powder as well. Primers didn't come up though. The senior USPSA group I was talking to said avoid Freedom.
    4. FWIW when I was shooting their reman 124gr a year ago my gamer gun would not reliably pop the primers. They looked like S&B primers to me (shiny gold color). CCI 500s were GTG in the same gun.
    5. They've been never been good to go AFAIK.
    6. I use them because they are cheap for practice, but I would never use them at a match.
    7. My reading of the general current on the forum, including the post above, is that FA has a relatively high number of defects that are not just a cost factor, but actively dangerous.
    8. I attended Bruce Grace practical fundamental class here in San Antonio a month ago. We had three squib loads between two different shooters, in one day. They were using two completely different lots of freedom munitions. One gentleman was using freedom remanufactured 9 mm and experienced to squib loads from two separate boxes of ammo with in the same lot. The second gentleman was using freedom new manufacture ammo, and experienced one squib.
    9. My last batch of reman 115gr had several setback rounds.

Last edited:

Leethar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Had good luck with the cheap brass cased Tulammo from walmart. Ran several thousand rounds through multiple guns before I gave up and started reloading. Never had a hiccup, and it's cheap.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I shot USPSA for almost 2 years before I started reloading. Your best bet is 115gr 100rd value packs from Wallyworld, Win, Fed, or Tula brass is all fine. I also had great results with 124gr Aguila bought online, but that's gotten more expensive since I last shot it. I'd just stick to new manufacture rds, as buying reloads doesn't save all that much, and it's worth the piece of mind (to me, at least). Follow the ammo price tracking websites, look for good deals on case quantities, and pay attention to shipping costs.

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have been seeing the UMC 9mm 115gr in the 250 round value pack (yellow box) back in stock at academy. usually around $69.00. That's the cheapest route and its been excellent in my M&P. accurate and no FTF. I haven't reloaded any of the brass yet but i'm picking it up and it all looks nice. Clean shooting as well.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The only 9mm I've bought in a while has been Blazer in bulk, either in brass or alluminum cased which both perform well in all my 9mm guns. I watch PSA and a couple other online retailers for deals and have been buying it at 20-22 cents per round shipped

Puma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Cut Off
    Initially when they first cam on the scene, i was thoroughly impressed with their ammo. Recently it seems as though QC has gone by the wayside and I've witnessed multiple people on multiple occasions have nothing but problems. YMMV

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Hmmm. Like I said, the new Freedom stuff I have used had no issues. About 1500 rounds. The re-manufactured stuff is weak and I have had a few hard primers. That is with a reduced power FP spring though so I thought that might have been the issue.

Have to say that I have run 2-3K of 9mm brass Monarch with no problem. The steel cased Monarch I definitely had issue with feeding and primers. The brass Monarch was my go to stuff when Academy had it for $10.50 a box. When they went up to $12 I switched to FM. May have to try them again.

rjamesmann

Sheepdog
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks everyone, I'll have to keep an eye on freedom munitions. But like I said I was looking for something available local, so I picked up the Remington umc 250 rd value pack from academy. My accuracy level probably won't be able to attest to its consistency but if I have any failure issues I'll report back!

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    FWIW: Chrono results

Gun: Springfield XD-9 Tactical (original XD, not XDm)
    Ammo: MagTech 115gr FMJ. P/N 9A.
    Chrono: 30 shots over a CED M2 chrono with IR screens mounted in chrono coffin (big wooden box).

Velocity low: 1115.0
    Velocity high: 1158.0
    Velocity mean: 1136.4

Power Factor low: 128.2
    Power Factor high: 133.2
    Power Factor avg: 130.7

ES: 43.0
    SD: 16.4

Of course this was in MY gun on THAT particualar day. How it will perform in YOUR gun on ANY particualar day is always a variable. However at the local club level I'd just buy it and shoot it and worry about other issues.

Top Bottom