Value of this Hoyt recurve?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Got this years ago at a flea market, and just never put in the practice with it. So, now I'm trying to figure out what kind of price to put on it nowadays. Hoyt Xpert recurve, 64", marked 46# which I assume is the draw weight, no string, the one the local outfitter made for it started making really unhealthy crackling sounds and fraying within the first few shots:eek3:. The front is, for lack of a better word, banana yellow. Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

hoyt1.jpg

hoyt2.jpg

hoyt3.jpg

hoyt4.jpg

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Dunno but I work with a 4-H Archery program and we need equipment so if you come with a price let me know.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    How long had it been since the bow was shot when you started hearing the cracking noises?

Strings are going to fray during use. Depends on how bad it was fraying as it could have been a poor quality string used. Was it the string itself cracking or the bow?

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Dunno but I work with a 4-H Archery program and we need equipment so if you come with a price let me know.

I use a compound bow, so I don't have a lot of experience with recurves. However, having pulled a 50#(@28"draw) I would say that 46# might be too much for your average 4-H student. Would make a good bow for an adult instructor though.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    How long had it been since the bow was shot when you started hearing the cracking noises?

Strings are going to fray during use. Depends on how bad it was fraying as it could have been a poor quality string used. Was it the string itself cracking or the bow?

As to how long it'd been since the bow was used, I have no idea. I've seen some with similar markings that people date to the 50s and 60s, but I bought this one in '99 and tried it out then. I'm pretty sure it was the string itself cracking, I could see threads popping, starting and stopping with when it made the sounds. I've looked the bow itself over VERY closely and see no cracks.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    As to how long it'd been since the bow was used, I have no idea. I've seen some with similar markings that people date to the 50s and 60s, but I bought this one in '99 and tried it out then. I'm pretty sure it was the string itself cracking, I could see threads popping, starting and stopping with when it made the sounds. I've looked the bow itself over VERY closely and see no cracks.

Well that's good as the string can be replaced fairly inexpensively. I couldn't imagine a hoyt recurve bow failing under normal usage.

As far as value, I would estimate $100 - $200.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana

run a cotton ball over the length of the limbs to see if it catches any of the strands of cotton. If none, the bow itself is fine and the strings were the problem.

Top Bottom