Vanek Trigger not suitable for carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I see post after post on forums that proclaim proudly that one should NOT install a vanek trigger on a carry gun.

What I want to know is why? I haven't yet found a reason.

It doesn't defeat any of the safeties, and there are plenty reports of it being reliable.

So then what gives?

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    because it probably comes with a reduced striker spring which may lead to a miss fire. remember the loudest sound in a gun fight is your gun going click.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My Glocks are equipped with Vanek or Glocktriggers and are in holsters that cover the trigger guard. They have a fairly light trigger pull and do not fire without pulling the trigger. They are properly set up and are safe and reliable.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    because it probably comes with a reduced striker spring which may lead to a miss fire. remember the loudest sound in a gun fight is your gun going click.

The light firing pin springs like this work best with a lightened firing pin.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

It doesn't.

It uses factory glock parts that are tuned.

True the Vanek trigger uses factory GLOCK parts, but the striker spring has been altered (i,e, a coil or 2 cut off)...

So then, all of my match ammo that was loaded with Wolf primers and I had roughly 5-7 light strikes out of 100 mean nothing then...

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Massad Ayoub (dont feel like looking up the correct spelling) has been denouncing trigger jobs in carry/self defense guns for years. Same goes for reloaded ammo. Both under the premise that the DA could make the case that you were trying to make your gun more eviller or that you weren't in control of your weapon when you shot the BG. In the chest. 5 times. While it was trying to rape your daughter.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I would say liability. If something goes wrong and it is all factory some of the liability would be shifted to Glock. Not to mention the trigger is scary light. Too light for carry IMHO. For a range pistol they are the bomb. I love the Vanek on 34.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    You also have to remember that a lot of it is the companies trying to cover their own asses so you don't sue them if your gun fails to work properly and you get shot.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    LIABILITY

As mentioned B4 it could bite you on the rear end IF at some point you were to apear in Court to defend youself after a confrontation, it is the same stupid believe that lots of Departments have and the reasson they use the NY trigger setup on Glocks to prevent an "AD". At the same time it is only a way to cover they own azz up for lack of proper training, the #1 Safety should always be your brain that allows you to make a conscious decision to put your finger on the trigger and shoot or not.

Heaving a 10# trigger or a 1 1/2 # trigger will kill the same way, the diference is how fast you can continue to put BB's on target.

You should also use good quality ammo for self defense and NOT reloads, at least this way the chances of hearing a CLICK instead of a BANG is lower.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I still call BS on the legal issues. It's been brought up 1000 times and still NO ONE can present a justified self defense case in which a trigger job mattered.

The only liability I can imagine is if somehow you have a negligent discharge and someone gets hurt or killed. Then it could come back to **** you in the cornhole. But being good safety conscious gun owners, we don't have to worry about NDs right?

As for reliability...go run a box or two of your carry ammo through it and see what happens.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I would say liability. If something goes wrong and it is all factory some of the liability would be shifted to Glock. Not to mention the trigger is scary light. Too light for carry IMHO. For a range pistol they are the bomb. I love the Vanek on 34.

See, I don't buy that. Anyone who carries a 1911, carries a trigger lighter than a vanek. I think proper training would remedy this.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    See, I don't buy that. Anyone who carries a 1911, carries a trigger lighter than a vanek. I think proper training would remedy this.

This is what I've always considered when the discussion of "too light for carry" is brought up. I suppose the thumb safety does provide a certain measure of extra security, but... when it's deactivated by default during the drawstroke... Your point becomes entirely valid again.

While I definitely see the legal problems that might come into play, I too have heard this referenced thousands of times without any citation to suggest it's actually come into play during a trial. I'd be willing to bet no one would ever notice your trigger job unless you brought it up, especially if it was obvious that the pistol-in-question was the one used in the shooting. Maybe if they had to test fire it for ballistics, someone would notice. But I have to imagine most of those guns go in an evidence bag at the scene, and never come back out again.

Maybe some of our experts could shed a bit of light? I know LSP has got to have some experience in this regard.

clay7160

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Abbeville, LA
    I just shot my Glock 17 GEN 4 with Vanek Classic trigger for the first time this weekend...it was great, the trigger pull is light, but as others have said.....you must pull the trigger to fire....for those that keep their finger off the trigger until ready to fire, there should be no reason the gun should go off, just my .02

turbines

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    NC
    Discussions regarding whether one should carry with a modified trigger or not is nuts. Does anyone really expect Charlie Vanek of any other third party trigger tweaker to tell you it's okay to carry their trigger in a defense weapon? Charlie and all the rest of them will tell you don't do it. It's all about liability and nothing to do with reliability. In the end you have to make the decisions about your trigger and it should NOT be based on someone else's advice.

Yes I carry with a Vanek trigger and a stock glock firing pin spring but that doesn't mean you should.

LSP552

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I once asked Charlie that question on the phone a few years ago. He comment was if I wanted to, then use one of the GSSF kits with standard springs. The G-17 I carry most of the time is set up like that. Every serious Glock I own has a factory "-" connector, including those carried on and off-duty before I retired.

Ken

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom