VATA Group, (Covington)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ok I got in touch with Greg Lapin about their new training center and requirements for courses, the response is

If you have a previous certificate from another school for tactical carbine and or tactical pistol, you are not required to take their intro course and you can jump to level 1 or 2 depending on what kind of previous training you had done.

Also they can schedulle training during the week if we can come up with a minimum of 6 Students. 20% Discount for Military/LEO.

Their website is http://www.vatagroup.net/home.htm, and the guys email I spoke to is glapin@vatagroup.net (Greg Lapin)

Intro to Tactical Pistol (February 20th) ($200 )

Prerequisite: None
    Class Size: 6–18
    This course is designed to develop the foundation of combative shooting skills
    needed in a tactical setting. The student will exercise these skills in a variety of shooting situations. The student will gain experience, confidence and increase their skill level with their handgun.
    T
    he following topics will be covered during the course:
    • Safety
    • Fundamentals of shooting
    • Weapon presentation
    • Malfunctions drills
    • Reloads (combat, tactical)
    • Multiple shots
    • Multiple targets
    • Shooting positions
    • Shooting on the move
    • Shooting behind cover
    A
    mmunition Requirements: 600 rounds of ammunition
    Gear List: Pistol, holster, stiff pistol belt, three magazines, magazine holders, belt,wraparound eye protection, ear protection, water bottle

Tactical Pistol Level 1 (Feb 21st) ($200 or $375 if you book both clases)

Prerequisite: Introduction to Tactical Pistol
    This course is designed to develop skills for the student who uses his weapon in a tactical environment. The course will start with reviewing the fundamental shooting skills. You will soon advance to skills that will reduce your reaction time, allow you to shoot faster with a higher degree of accuracy and increase your confidence with your handgun.
    T
    he following topics will be covered during the course:
    • Safety
    • Conditions of readiness
    • Gear placement
    • Fundamentals of shooting
    • Proper ready positions
    • Recoil management
    • Malfunctions
    • Multiple targets
    • Proper use of barricades
    • Adverse angles
    • Shooting on the move
    • Shooting positions
    • Off hand shooting
    • One-hand manipulation
    A
    mmunition Requirements: 800 rounds of pistol ammunition
    Gear List: Pistol, holster, stiff pistol belt, three magazines, magazine holders, belt, clear wraparound eye protection, ear protection, water bottle and rain gear.

Intro to Tactical Carbine (Feb 27th) ($200)

Prerequisite: None
    This course is designed to develop understanding and proficiency with a tactical
    carbine. Students will progress from basic handling and marksmanship skills to
    advanced shooting drills. This course will focus on techniques used in an urban
    environment. The student will develop skills that will increase their speed, accuracy
    and confidence with the carbine.
    The following topics will be covered during the course:
    • Safety
    • Characteristics and accessories
    • Sight-in/zero procedures
    • Fundamentals
    • Ready positions
    • Magazine changes (admin, tactical and speed)
    • Shooting positions and transitioning to shooting positions
    • Multiple shots/multiple targets
    • Malfunction drills
    • Shooting on the move
    • Barricades
    • Transition drills
    • Low light shooting
    Ammunition Requirements: 250 rounds of pistol ammunition, 1,000 rounds of
    carbine ammunition
    Gear List: Pistol, holster, belt, three pistol magazines, pistol magazine holders,
    carbine, sling, four carbine magazines, carbine magazine holders, wraparound clear
    eye protection, ear protection, weapons cleaning kit, water bottle and rain gear.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd like to see some feedback on these guys, anyone have/find any? If these fellas are legit, this could be a very good thing considering Gomez is leaving us. :wtc:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I havent been able to find anybody that has taken the class so far to give me some feedback on it, but I am definetly willing to give the guys a chance to proove themselves, I really wish for a during the week class to happen since weekends are not a good time for me.

Greg seemed to be a really knowledgeable guy with a lot of training behind him, with real life experience in Iraq which is always good to be trained by somebody who has seen incoming fire in high volumes.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    They also provide high risk security still overseas. He said all of march they will be overseas.

I'm sure they are being hired by these companies becuse they are competent with good reputations. I intend on training with them.

zonblitz

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Slidell LA
    Through talks witg Greg I also know that they train feds (I have no specifics). They regularly are away training feds in addition to doing overseas missions.

I'm excited about about having this available to us in our own back yard.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Their website isn't helpful enough for me so I emailed them to get more info.

We could probably get more info. about the trainers through their facebook pages.

I am not a member of Facebook, so I couldn't access it.

If one of you finds out more, please post it here.

I live in Covington and am interested in the upcoming classes but want to know more about VATA before committing my money.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Their facebook page only has more pics than their website, their range looks to be top notch from what I see on the pics, if I get a chance later on this afternoon I will copy paste some of the pics on here so the people who dont have a facebook can see them. For what I got from talking to Greg, they pretty much stay busy with training for diferent agencies and they dont have much time for their online relations, either way I will do the best I can.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I hope I dont get in trouble by posting their pics, but I'm just trying to help fellow BS'rs out.

attachment.php

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I know the guy in the last pic, (the one without his face obscured) he is good people and very technically and tactically sound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Marrero,La
    These guys are good instructors. They are very patient and whether you are a new shooter or an advanced shooter, they will take the time to help you learn at you own pace. The pistol class helped me alot. hopefully there carbine can help as much

Top Bottom