VIDEO: The "Easy Fire Starting" tool does exactly that!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegallyArmedAm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Lake Charles, LA
    At the recent NRA Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, IN, Paul and Chad stumbled across a really cool fire-starting tool. They liked it so much that they each bought one!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Ancient viking secret
    ubu4a8am.jpg

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    LOL, was thinking a book of matches, as lighters can self destruct from heat in a car.

Always wanted a manual fire starting thingy.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't get it. In my pack I've got waterproof matches, 25 cent bic lighters, and a pack of petroleum jellied cotton balls- why on earth would you defer back to this?

technology rocks. To heck with going back to rubbing stuff together for "survival". To further heck when every alternative answer is cheap and practical.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't get it. In my pack I've got waterproof matches, 25 cent bic lighters, and a pack of petroleum jellied cotton balls- why on earth would you defer back to this?

technology rocks. To heck with going back to rubbing stuff together for "survival". To further heck when every alternative answer is cheap and practical.

The bic is the first choice. Actually, first and second choice... waterproof matches are good for a limited number of fires. But if you end up having to cross a creek and everything gets wet (and you're freezing) the magnesium fire starter WILL work.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I really do get it. Guys like to play with toys, and guys like fire. Put the two together and you've got something that turns every man into a giddy child. I think there's also some underlying instinct that makes it feel better to do it the "primitive" way (although stuff like this is far from primitive). I've got magnesium fire starters and all that fun stuff. When I go hiking, when I go camping, when I pack a bugout bag...it's Bic lighters all the way. They weigh nothing, make fire instantly, last what seems like forever, are pretty much everything proof, and yes they work fine wet.

Simply put, fire starting gizmos like this are the 1911's of fire making. :o

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I really do get it. Guys like to play with toys, and guys like fire. Put the two together and you've got something that turns every man into a giddy child. I think there's also some underlying instinct that makes it feel better to do it the "primitive" way (although stuff like this is far from primitive). I've got magnesium fire starters and all that fun stuff. When I go hiking, when I go camping, when I pack a bugout bag...it's Bic lighters all the way. They weigh nothing, make fire instantly, last what seems like forever, are pretty much everything proof, and yes they work fine wet.

Simply put, fire starting gizmos like this are the 1911's of fire making. :o

Yeah; I have actual flint and tinder because it's cool. I really want one of those little fire piston things too because they're cool.
    Picked up one of these guys about four years ago because it's a nice fixed blade knife with a built in fire steel and that's cool. At least I actually take it camping unlike the flint and steel, but I do have a bic in the backpack too.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Still have to put a vote in for dryer lint. I did a bunch of wilderness survival back in my late teens and early 20's. Have yet to find a better receptacle for a spark. Especially if you use fabric softener.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Still have to put a vote in for dryer lint. I did a bunch of wilderness survival back in my late teens and early 20's. Have yet to find a better receptacle for a spark. Especially if you use fabric softener.

Dryer lent? Interesting..... I can't wait to get home this afternoon an try this.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have actually tried my flint a few times. Only once could I actually get the fire started. Its crazy... but gasoline and a lighter or a match seemed to work a lot better...

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Top Bottom