VIDEO: The "Easy Fire Starting" tool does exactly that!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Magnesium fire starters work. They work wet. They work cold. It just doesn't matter, they work. They won't get ruined if they get wet like matches. They won't run out of butane like Bic lighters.
    The magnesium burns hot enough to ignite tinder that a Bic lighter won't char.

Buy a magnesium bar. Put it in your bug out bag. It weighs less than aluminum.

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    I like to have magnesium and a ferro rod for a last ditch, just in case. That doesn't mean I don't also have several lighters, matches, and fuel in there as well.

Sent from iPhone. Inconsequential word may have been left to die on editing floor.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have found that the flint in lighters over time can degrade from our heavy humidity, even the bics. If you are chubby like me don't discount the amount of lint that can collect in the ole belly button, you never know when you might need it;-) I caught SCD (survival crap disease) a couple of winters ago, I wish I hadn't bought all that stuff, I could literally by another gun with all the cash I wasted. Damn Dave Canterbury videos!

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Have found that the flint in lighters over time can degrade from our heavy humidity, even the bics. If you are chubby like me don't discount the amount of lint that can collect in the ole belly button, you never know when you might need it;-) I caught SCD (survival crap disease) a couple of winters ago, I wish I hadn't bought all that stuff, I could literally by another gun with all the cash I wasted. Damn Dave Canterburry videos!

I mean I'm not going to be featured on Hoarders or Doomsday Preppers, but a well-stocked bag or two is just being well prepared, especially for people that frequent the outdoors.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I mean I'm not going to be featured on Hoarders or Doomsday Preppers, but a well-stocked bag or two is just being well prepared, especially for people that frequent the outdoors.

Couldn't agree more. My motivation in assembling bags has as much to do with hurricane prep as anything. Kind of a, need not have vs have not need.

That reminds me, I need to go through my bags and sort them again.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah i just did my hurricane prep last weekend. made sure extra outdoor lighting was functional (mine is wireless), made sure generator had fresh oil, stocked up the gas cans, grabbed some lights, lanterns, and extra batteries.

The stuff I added that I didnt have last year was a Family Filter from Lifestraw. I've got a creek behind the house and tested it- I can't recommend highly enough. I got it on a lightning deal at amazon for 50 bucks. Added a duracell USB charger for the phones (used our car chargers in the past, which cost fuel) and glow sticks. I figure glow sticks are a cheap and easy way to entertain and keep track of a toddler if the power goes out.

Otherwise- camping packs have bic lighters and waterproof matches, and my truck bag does as well. I won't be adding flint, rocks, or any sticks to rub together lol. What I will add after this thread is a gallon size ziploc bag of dryer lint in each bag. Nearly weightless and free.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    10-4. Have read that 100% cotton is best for dryer lint. I have 4-5 1qt ziplocs of the stuff. Have tested my lint which is not all cotton and it works just fine, cat hair does stink a bit though, lol. Char cloth works great too if you get bored next time you're bbqn'. Insect repellant spray, corn chips, are all good fire starters. Don't think we need fire to much down here, at least in the summer, but the need to boil water and cook with couldn't hurt.

madppcs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Cant believe nobody has mentioned a magnifying glass? Thats a heck of a fire starter that only needs moderate sunlight.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    nobody said that you can't have a lighter., a ferro rod AND a freznel lense, ya know. big deal, 1 extra oz to have such an important option. If weight bothers you so much, better stick with a .22lr, or at the most, a 223 with .22lr conversion unit. cause the extra 15 lbs of a 308 (and enough ammo to matter any over having a 223) is going to be a lot for you. Toddlers will have to learn to entertain themselves and be SILENT, as the Indian kids were (or get everyone killed).

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I figure in a SHTF situation it will either be extremely hot so fire will not be needed, of there will be a lot of lightning and everything will be on fire (except the zombies as they are flame proof).

I keep burn cream in my BOB just in case. Always nasty when you burn a pinky and have to deal with the pain.

I recently saw what looked to be an Indian toddler and it was anything but quiet. However no one died so I felt better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom