Vortex

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    For what use? They're fine for a plinker but I've seen way too many fail to ever trust them for anything more.

they do have a lifetime warranty. And are also redoing their sales strategy. Arfcom put one through a good torture test. It lived.

I was looking at one of the micro sparks. Havent bought it yet.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I had a SPARC. It was a good optic. Dot looked very good. As Speed said I dont know if I would trust it over an Aimpoint but for plinking they are great

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    For what use? They're fine for a plinker but I've seen way too many fail to ever trust them for anything more.

I agree with Speed. I had a SPARC and another issue was that the damn thing would turn on in transport due to the on switch location. Not a bad range sight but not for defense use.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Another thing would be battery life. My Aimpoint I can keep on for 3 years without turning it off. With the SPARC if you leave it on between trips on accident, the battery will die. Learned that last time.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    they do have a lifetime warranty. And are also redoing their sales strategy. Arfcom put one through a good torture test. It lived.

I was looking at one of the micro sparks. Havent bought it yet.

You'll hear a lot about Vortex's warranty and customer service, both which really are good from what I've seen. However that doesn't mean squat if the optic is on a defensive firearm. If your optic craps out when you need it, the stellar warranty will hardly be any consolation.

So again it comes down to intended use.

tsi_engineer

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have the strikefire...honestly its a great bang for the buck red dot. I did however replace it with an eotech and couldnt be happier. Like DubShow said, you cant exactly compare it to an aimpoint or anything else though because its not apples to apples.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would put vortex on the top 3 or 4 for scope makers, well above lupey and almost on par for NF.. Almost.. as for red dots.. meh not so much.. they are just an OK red dot.. I would not put it on anything that I am going to use for a serious life threatening event.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    thanks gents.. think im just gonna get another aimpoint pro

susuha6a.jpg

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have a Strikefire. Ran it in a carbine carbine class, and I tripped and hit the dirt with the rifle it was mounted on. Next time I took it to the range I couldn't get the thing zeroed because the adjustment ranges got all messed up.

Whenever I get around to sending it off to Vortex for the warranty I'm going to sell it when get it back. Even if it wasn't for that issue I still prefer my EOtech 512. Way better sight picture.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Aimpoint PRO all the way. Even if it's just for range use. Just buy once, cry later, keep it, and just put new rifles under it when you want/need to. Besides, it's been my experience that the hogs absolutely hate them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom