Want to shoot in a pistol comp.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU

The Best There Is
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey I am and have been wanting to shoot in a pistol competition, but I havent ever been around anything like it and dont know what to do, and wouldnt mind some helpful shooting tips from someone. I was wandering if anyone here was going practicing any time soon. I can't go to precision on mondays and my wednesday nights are full to. If anyone would like to help me out and help me get introduced more to shooting pistols it would be awesome.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    www.lagator.org

YOu can also come to the Eaps match this sunday in Gonzales at the East Ascension Parish Sheriff Office range, its located right by the Lamar Expo Center by Cabelas, free to watch bring eye and ear PRO eventhough I recommend you bring all your gear for it and give it a try, you can run as slow as you need to as long as you stay safe, first time shooters fee is $5 .

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Go to "uspsa.org" and click on the banner to learn more about what USPSA has to offer. The EAPS match is this Sunday at the Accession Parrish Sheriff range off of St. Landry Rd. across from the LaMar Dixon facility. Go join in, there are many there that are willing to help new shooters. You won't be the only newbie there, we have them every month.

Beauxdog

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Don't just watch, shoot. It is eye opening how different it is shooting without a time limit at one target vs. Shooting at multiple targets, moving, reloading, with the clock ticking. You will miss targets you never thought you could miss.

Just watch your brass, these guys get mesmerized by once fired on the ground...(they still let you keep it, reluctantly)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I got a baretta 92 and a xd9

Either one would fit fine in production division.

A holster that covers the trigger guard (preferably not a cheap nylon one, although it's not against the rules) and 4-6 magazines and pouches.

You can get away with 4 but most people use 5 or so.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Ok. I guess ill just try to get all of my equipment first, and maybe go to the next one.

What don't you have? I'd be willing to bet you could find at least one or two people willing to loan out a few things to get you started.

LSU

The Best There Is
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just have the holster and mag holders that came with my xdm9 and the two clips. The baretta i just have two clips. My holster for it is back home in Tennessee

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I just have the holster and mag holders that came with my xdm9 and the two clips. The baretta i just have two clips. My holster for it is back home in Tennessee

The XD Gear is fine. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd lend you a few mags and another mag pouch or two.
    Who knows? Someone else may make you the same offer.

Taparia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    is there somewhere you can look at all the different types of shooting competitions? i have seen people talk about for example f-class. im interested in getting into this stuff but wanted to know all the different classes etc

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Just go to Precision on Mondays at 6 and you can practice there. I've been doing it, even though I've gone a couple times due to my schedule, but it's helped me a good bit already. You'll get a lot of tips and it's VERY low pressure. I hope to be able to make it to a match soon, but regardless of what everyone tells me, I want to have some clue as to what I'm getting into before just showing up to an event. Everyone has assured me that it's no big deal to go completely green though.

Top Bottom