Wanting to Get into Competitive Handgun Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MD_Wells

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,

I'm in the New Orleans area, and I have been considering getting into competition shooting with a handgun.

I read a little about IDPA, and was just wondering which of you shoot competition in the area, and your experiences with various organizations.

Any sharing of your experience or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Mark

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Hey Mark. I shoot IDPA (when I can get there:)) in Amite with Tangiapahoa Practical Shooters. (tpsclub.org) Super nice guys there. Very welcoming to beginners and willing to walk you through things. There are a number of youtube videos explaining the basic rules and procedures. To get started all you really need is a pistol, holster, and eye/ear protection. Follow the basic safety rules and have fun! They shoot the first Sat of the month so you are GTG for next weekend if you want.
    Scot

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    www.lagator.org lists just about all the local handgun competitions.

We have several types of local matches:

LSS is a steel challenge type match.
    Several USPSA matches.
    One newly formed IDPA club in Thibodaux and a long running "outlaw" IDPA type match in Amite.
    ICORE is for revolvers only.
    Nicks Shooting Range in Garyville also has a form of handgun competition is challenging and requires no movement. This match is not listed on lagator.org.

All new shooter friendly and all can be shot with the most basic of equipment...A safe handgun, serviceable holster that covers the trigger guard and as little as 3 magazines/speedloaders and way to carry them.
    Eye and ear protection is mandatory.

On Dec 5th they will resume the man vs man steel plate matches at the old St. Bernard Indoor Shooting Range on Friday nites. These are fun matches and shooters will be classed to compete with shooters of his or her skill level.

Pick your poison and come out and play.

Last edited:

cbh005

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    This is a good thread. I have been shooting paper targets for a while and would like to get into competitive shooting as well. The websites posted above are very helpful. This isn't my thread, but thank you all; you have helped me as well.

Top Bottom