watch out for Monroe PD...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I just spent an hour on the roadside after getting pulled over for a traffic violation. About 45 minutes of that was because I had a handgun in my vehicle. Apparently Monroe PD is claiming that guns in a vehicle must not be "immediately accessable"; they have to be in the glove box or trunk. They also inquired about a receipt, which I do keep after reading about NOPDs shenanigans. I guess Monroe PD is taking a lesson from them. They also filled out a very thorough and invasive "field incident report" which included my SSN, shoe size, check for missing teeth, brand of shoes I was wearing, tattoos, and also if I usually keep a weapon in the vehicle. I guess I now have to worry about being stopped and harassed for being a "known gun toter" if I go to Monroe.

So in short, if you carry a firearm in your vehicle, stay the hell out of Monroe.

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    baton rouge
    people seriously are expected to carry a receipt for a gun purchase? Where did this come about. I can barely remember to grab my wallet and cell phone when i leave the house, you can forget any receipts for a gun i have in my vehicle. Im no bashing, very curious as to where this requirement got started and if there is any truth to it. As fas as i know, it not coming back listed as stolen, and you have it in your possession is considered "owning" it.

The incident report thing seems odd, what were you pulled over for? As far as the things they took down, my medical records have "extensively tattooed" as part of my past medical history in them, so im not even surprised that was recorded.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This is ripe for challenge.

What legal basis do they have for enforcing the "immediately accessible" rule? None that I can think of. I have never seen anything like that in LA law (Tx had something to that effect at one time). Absent that, they are making their own rules. (Ya in a heap o' trouble boy). Police departments are not supposed to make law.

The remainder of their activity in the stop is harassment.

You know, much as I hate to say this, the ACLU might be interested in this.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    The incident report thing seems odd, what were you pulled over for? As far as the things they took down, my medical records have "extensively tattooed" as part of my past medical history in them, so im not even surprised that was recorded.

I was pulled over because someone was stopped in the middle of the road and I drove around them on the paved shoulder. Even though it's "that spot" where half the town does it, it is technically illegal and I did it. I never contested that. The officer who initially stopped me for that was a Captain. After I told him I had a gun in the car he ordered me out and called 4 more officers to check it out and grill me. As far as the tattoos, I have one but it doesn't show so they couldn't have known that.

As far as what the captain claimed about guns having to "not be immediately accessible", I do wonder if he knows better but just told me it's the law to get me to do things the way he likes. The question about the receipt came from one of the other officers who responded. The first question was "Where did you get it?", and when I replied that I had a receipt I was told "You really need to keep that with you."

Last edited:

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    The remainder of their activity in the stop is harassment.

Pretty much, but I don't have the kind of money that a lawyer costs.

You know, much as I hate to say this, the ACLU might be interested in this.

I thought the ACLU didn't handle 2nd Amendment cases?

At any rate, I wasn't able to get badge numbers anyway. Monroe PD have theirs taped over most of the time.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    why tell them you have a firearm in the vehicle? If you aren't a CCW holder and carrying, you aren't required. You don't have to give them permission to search the vehicle, which I doubt would happen under the traffic stop circumstances.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Also, keep in mind that this is the same Monroe PD who within the last few months performed an investigation into a dogcatcher who, in front of multiple witnesses, killed a mother dog and puppies which were locked in a cage because the mother dog growled at him when he hit the side of the cage with a stick. The dogcatcher, in front of at least 2 people and a camera killed the dogs with a pellet gun and Monroe PD determined that he had acted in self defense.

Monroe public employees who are connected with the current mayors administration can get away with pretty much anything they want. This includes police, dogcatchers, street crews, the whole lot. More than half of the police force have left since the mayor appointed the new police chief, and I suspect the ones I dealt with today were the dregs who have hung around.

So again, stay the hell out of Monroe.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    why tell them you have a firearm in the vehicle? If you aren't a CCW holder and carrying, you aren't required. You don't have to give them permission to search the vehicle, which I doubt would happen under the traffic stop circumstances.

Because it was laying in plain sight on the passenger seat where he would have seen it anyway.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I thought the ACLU didn't handle 2nd Amendment cases?

Maybe, maybe not. Here's a link to a blog post about the ACLU getting involved in a similar situation in Texas just a few years ago.

http://reason.com/blog/2007/04/06/the-aclu-defends-gun-rights

Relevant excerpt:

But in a report issued last February, the ACLU of Texas, the Texas State Rifle Association, and the Texas Criminal Justice Association showed that many district and county attorneys are instructing police to carry on as before, arresting motorists for UCW at their discretion and letting prosecutors and judges sort things out.

Given its mission, the ACLU certainly should be fighting such lawless harassment of innocent people. But it is notable that the gun angle did not prevent the Texas chapter from getting involved, despite the national organization's position that the Second Amendment does not protect an individual right to keep and bear arms. Since it does not believe the Second Amendment imposes any limits on the government's authority to restrict possession of guns, the national ACLU has never challenged gun control laws. By contrast, the ACLU of Texas supported statutory changes aimed at allowing law-abiding Texans to keep guns in their cars, whether for self-defense or while on the way to and from the shooting range, and now it is monitoring enforcement of the changes and recommending further revisions to ensure that the legislature's intent is implemented.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Gentlemen, discussion of the traffic stop is encouraged. If this turns into a bash Monroe PD or cops in general thread, it will be closed with a quickness.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Gentlemen, discussion of the traffic stop is encouraged. If this turns into a bash Monroe PD or cops in general thread, it will be closed with a quickness.

If Monroe PD has a pattern of covering for their officers who do things like this, it is something that the members of this site may need to know in order to stay out of jail.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If Monroe PD has a pattern of covering for their officers who do things like this, it is something that the members of this site may need to know in order to stay out of jail.

If someone else has a similar experience then they are more than welcome to post it. Otherwise, keep the focus on your original post. If your whole intention for posting it in the first place was to start a bashing thread then the temporary ban you just came off of will become permanent.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    You need to get the incident report.

Yes, the ACLU will get involved in 2A cases. There was a case recently in New Orleans where the ACLU was involved.

Was the gun in a holster?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom