Water prevention for gun lock

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I searched high and low for a combination cable gun lock to use as a lightweight lock for my fence gate. It's an iron fence and the lock in the self contained knob and latch which may or may not work, but since I do not have a key, I went this route. I also need to have my son afforded access to it without carrying a key.

With that said... Since this lock is not designed for outdoor use, I would like opinions of what to do to protect the lock from weather without compromising utility.

I have some Super Lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon, typically used for rubber gaskets in water applications. I predict using it like packing a bearing, pressing it into all of the holes and crevices. I also have gun oils and such.

What will provide me with the best coverage without greasing up my hands every time I/son use the lock?

Lock looks like this

Gun-cable-locks-combination.JPG

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have gate locks that have been in use outdoors for more than 20 years and I use a quality lubricant on them about 2-3 times a year. I normally use the same thing I use on my guns which is Mobil 1. It is in a bottle with a needle tip and easy to use. It has many uses around the house, automobile and guns. If you find the oil too thick mix 3 parts oil with 1 part Dextron ATF. Any good lubricant should work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom