Water purification.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    Anyone have one of the Bubi bottles? I'm ordering one tonight to test out.

Silicone bottle able to be put in a fire and boil water is a good feature. A little pricey but I think it's worth it if it works.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    Anyone have one of the Bubi bottles? I'm ordering one tonight to test out.

Silicone bottle able to be put in a fire and boil water is a good feature. A little pricey but I think it's worth it if it works.

FYI, you can boil water in any plastic soda bottle. Just in case you didn't know.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I saw an ad for the lifestraw too. Anyone have any experience with it?

No but I'd really like to look into that Lifestraw Family. Uses a bladder to pull water from a hopper through the straw/filter. Seems that would be more practical than just a straw in your pocket.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    you could use it for cooking and such that way, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard to start a syphon through the lifestraw and some tubing to fill up a gallon jug/water bottle/cooking pot.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    No but I'd really like to look into that Lifestraw Family. Uses a bladder to pull water from a hopper through the straw/filter. Seems that would be more practical than just a straw in your pocket.

Yeah, the actual straw would just be good for backpacking/SHTFandgetthe****inthewoods

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Same reason you can boil water in a paper cup, the liquid inside moderates the temp of the surface in contact with the heat. It'll burn or melt if its not a water wetted area, but it'll do. We used to boil eggs in Dixie cups for breakfast on camping trips.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    So you're telling me that I can put a 2L bottle of water in a camp fire and it won't melt?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So you're telling me that I can put a 2L bottle of water in a camp fire and it won't melt?
    Yes. I did this on MLK day when we went out in the woods. It is due to the specific heat capacity of water (if I remember correctly from Chemistry). The plastic will not melt until all of the water has turned to steam and left the bottle. My only idea about how this could be a bad idea is parts of the plastic getting absorbed into the boiling water, but that is probably still better for you than protists in the water...not really sure though.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Yes. I did this on MLK day when we went out in the woods. It is due to the specific heat capacity of water (if I remember correctly from Chemistry). The plastic will not melt until all of the water has turned to steam and left the bottle. My only idea about how this could be a bad idea is parts of the plastic getting absorbed into the boiling water, but that is probably still better for you than protists in the water...not really sure though.

The trick is to get BPA free bottles to limit harmful leeching (i.e. the new nalgene).

Bulldawg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    New Roads
    I don't actually have a bug out bag, but I have done a lot of long distance backpacking, where you must purify you water everyday, filling up several times a day.

If you want to go with a pump filter, then the Katadyn water filter ($84.95) is one of the most reliable and tested on the market.

Personally, I like to use Aquamira water drops. You simply mix Part A with Part B based on the amount of water you are filtering, add it to the water, shake and drink after 15 minutes. I like this option because it's lighter than a pump (crucial when backpacking), cheaper and quicker/easier.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Have you tried the Aquamira filtration straws?
    I bought a couple off the NRA store website for emergency use nad helps the NRA also. They supposedly crry the lifestraws at Basspro also for $20. I think I paid $25 for 2 of the aquamira straws.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom