Waterproof safe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Just wondering, for us New Orleanians out there, if there is a big reputable gun safe that is able to withstand flooding and protect our firearms from the devastation of a flood or hurricane? I know that in the future, if I ever have to evacuate, I will not be able to bring all of my firearms. Hell, even if I don't evacuate, I still want something that I can put my valuables and firearms in. I want something that I can trust will withstand and keep my items safe and damage free. Is there anything out there that would fulfill these needs?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Buy big pelican cases. That would be your only option for floating and being 100% water proof. Now as far as their being safes....

Dave

Commander 007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    If it’s not bolted down it probably will float if the air cannot escape. Take large trash leaf bags, place firearm in muzzle up, remove the air with a shop vacuum, twist end tightly, fold end over itself and place a wire tie or two to secure knot. Vacuum. will pull through barrel and chambers tearing bag, so dont rush, water proof for the amount of pressure it will be under. Place back into safe. Just like vacuum packing. The water can rise in the safe slowly and then go down keeping your valuables dry. Do same with ammo, electronics, and valuables. When water goes down unwrap and you’re ready to go.

Last edited:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Water will find it's way into any room, vault, safe or whatever, given enough time under water.

Best way to keep guns dry would be live near the top of a mountain. I live on a hill side and figure my guns will be safe since it is highly unlikely water would get to the house but even if it did, the safes would stay dry until the water receeded in a few hours. My ammo is over six feet off the floor so it would be protected as well.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Give me all your firearms. I'll hold onto them for you. For South Louisiana I'm on a mountain at 60 feet above sea level.

Dave

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    don't they have some sort of water proof bags for guns/ammo?

if not, im thinking of putting some guns/ammo in sealed pvc pipe with moisture absorbers in the attic or under ground.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Give me all your firearms. I'll hold onto them for you. For South Louisiana I'm on a mountain at 60 feet above sea level.

Dave

My wife is from West Yellowstone, Montana. She laughed at that. "Wow! 60 whole feet?!?" LOL

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Has anyone every considered using silicone to seal the door of the safe before leaving for a hurricane? If I had to leave, I'd do my best to bring what I could, but I've been entertaining this idea for a while now. Perhaps it might help limit the exposure, especially if there was only a couple of inches of flooding.

I've also considered building a small pedestal, to get my safe at least 6 inches or so higher. I'm not sure how much my house flooded during Katrina (didn't live there), but the home inspector said it doesn't look like it was very much. 6 Inches might be a big difference. I'm just not sure how solid I can bolt everything down with that setup.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The only firearm that went unscathed at my father's house was in an ammo can. I think bagging them would have at least limited the damage if not preserved them, but that's just an opinion.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    My plan right now is this... build a pedestal strong enough to hold the safe ~5" or so high, cover with carpet. Run the bolts through the pedestal and into the slab. Seal the holes in the safe with silicone. In the event of a hurricane, I'll take everything I can to my parents home, put the rest in bags, and do my best to seal the door with silicone.

Thankfully my house has storm shutters so, I won't have to spend as much time boarding up the windows... lol.

I plan to put the safe in my closet, so it should be more difficult (but not impossible) for any intruders to get enough leverage to pull the safe over with the longer lag bolts.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Sealing the door with silicone is iffy at best . A lot of safes have holes for the anchor bolts , and electrical connections .
    Hydraulic pressure can overcome some of the best do it yourself waterproofing efforts .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom