Weapons for TEOTWAWKI

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We are/were running a discussion on bug out bags and what kind of stuff we'd need; that's fine and dandy, but, Let's assume TEOTWAWKI and TSHTF. Realistically, if we ever had to live off the land for a long period of time, hunting and fishing to provide our next meals, wouldn't a Compound bow and multiple arrows be the best solution?

Here's my arguement:

Ammo:
    In this situation, you wouldnt want to set up camp in the same place for more than a couple days, and, worst case scenario, you will be moving every night. You can only carry so much ammo before the weight becomes prohibitive. On top of that, how many different KINDS of ammo would you need? .308 for big game, .223 or .22 for small game, and a pistol as back up? Now you're going to try to carry 3 kinds of ammo, and anywhere from 250 rounds to, well, what's the limit? 5k rounds gets heavy. With a bow and arrow, you can reuse the arrow heads, assuming you retrieve them from your kill and wash them off real nice.

Concealability:
    Again, Tin Foil Hat time, but if you're ever in a situation where you're defending yourself/position against another person/people, the quietness of the bow wouldnt give away your position the way a gun would. If you fire one shot from your gun, you've compromised your own position; with the bow, I would think that most people wouldn't even know you were around until someone sprouted an arrow from their body.

I know the bow is bigger to carry and a bit more cumbersome, but if you're on a trek through a forested area on foot, would you rather carry one bow and a back up pistol, or two rifles with ammo slung across your back?

This is only my opinion from what I would consider my "observations"; If anyone feels/knows any different, please, enlighten me, and present counter arguements.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    pellet gun could be useful. good for small game, ammo is cheaper and lighter than even .22 lr ammo, plus its fairly silent. this is something i'm considering adding to my collection. i definately want to have my g22 or even better whenever i get a chance to purchase one a g17 with me for selfdefense. ar7 is something i'm also considering getting; a small, simple .22 lr that's waterproof. it also depends on how the shtf. economic meltdown where everyones panicking and looting is one set of weapons, red dawn or obama dictator situation is another.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    Suppressed AR15 sbr and a 22lr kit. Concealable(realatively), quiet, and takes care of varmints(4 legged or 2)

Problems with the bow- short range, arrows bend, slow rate of fire, and even though the first shot is quiet, its obvious where it came from and that you are close. It did work for Rambo though and that counts for something.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I say keep the handgun . You might need to conceal a weapon if you are poking around somewhere and don't want to attract attention . Easy to keep on your person while sleeping , cooking , etc .

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Bows also a no-go for me. I have a few recurves, and though they are exceptionally light, they have a very limited range (for me at least) and are very hard to become accurate with at any considerable distance.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I'd have to stick with ruger 10/22 and pistol. Can kill anything I want to eat with 10/22 and can carry lots of ammo. And more than likely, anyone you come across is likely to have more 10/22 ammo. Pistol for conceiled carry. Only used for protection when 10/22 is not available..

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    You already know my bug out gun is 10/22 I have one for each adult and a dozen mags or so each, and I know my rifles out past 100yds.

In all reality, I'm not bugging out. I have over a years worth of food at my house, and so does my neighbor. I'm plugging into the neighborhood to get to know everyone. The house is over 15 miles from the nearest town and 27 from the nearest city. Everyone in the house has an AR, and there are a few 7.62x39 rifles in case we should come across ammo. I'm currently searching for an AR10 for lookout post, which, in all reality as things progress I don't know that .308 is enough gun, and I need to learn to shoot at distances up to a mile.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I like the bow idea for long term. I don't know that I would take it on foot though. If I make it to someplace to be stationary it would be nice to hunt and not have the whole neighborhood know I was armed. In an urban environment it duplicates a silencer, though more powerful than any handgun round. Making replacement arrows is not impossible either. Save the ammo for times when it really matters...

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    RIIIMovieBow.jpg

I want this bow.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I can't tell if you are joking or not. That is bad. You either need less tin foil or more humor.

I am indeed pre-bugged out. You are constructing a list for BOB and considering the viability for a Bow as a good bug out weapon. What makes your paranoia ok and my tin foil hat too tight? I relocated to a remote area with plenty of wildlife, water, and no natural disasters to speak of. I also found something akin to my dream home in the process.

You have bug out destinations, I have bug out defensive plans, and I can see someone approaching from a half mile in every while my lookout post can see up to 6 miles. As for being able to shoot up to a mile, I would like the capability. I doubt I would ever use it, but being able to neutralize a threat without even being seen, could be handy.

I do like the idea of a bow for hunting and quiet work, but it must be a recurve for sustainability. It would be near impossible to construct your own arrows that could withstand the forces of being launched by a heavy pull compound bow. Re-stringing a recurve is a much easier task and can be done with inexpensive "spiderwire" type fishing line.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    a suomi 9mm?

seems like it would be a good hi-cap carbine.
    70 or so rounds per drum, plus the drums are cheap like 30 bucks

wonder if red jacket would be able to construct a folding stock,add a pistol grip, and suppress one

almost like this
    suomi01.jpg

Last edited:

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    AR would be quite versatile.
    AK would probably be the same, but *perhaps* more durable.

I think carrying one of these with as many rounds as tolerable would be priority 1. If you're hungry enough, and there's certainly no game wardens around to give a "crap," then you can find SOMETHING to kill and eat. Deer, random birds, dogs, whatever... we're talking true survival mode here.

You DO need a fighting chance against what will become your worst enemy - and that is, fellow man. Lucky for you, you are currently toting the "standard" of modern warfare. While a pistol could certainly come in handy in an emergency, our best bet would be to limit our rounds due to weight. A .223 or 7.62 round would be worth much more at only slightly bigger size. I figure 1 pistol, 2-3 magazines, and perhaps only 50 more rounds or so. If I truly need those rounds, then I'm without my main weapon, and screwed anyway.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Ya'll go play 'Batman in the boondocks'

Myself, if TSHTF and I'm humping out, I'm going TO an are where I have more ammo.

I'll take my Glocks (One .22 conversion kit)
    And a AK

And those suppressors (Hear me Will):D

I'll take a Suppressed AK or Krink and 30 rounds on tap over your bow anyday...

Top Bottom