Weight lifting, what to start with?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I got a gym membership and am finally getting back into weight lifting. It may be another week or so before I get my free personal trainer session, so I was wondering what a good daily workout routine would be to start out with. I'm not doing anything crazy, just want to get more upper body strength and better toned muscles.

Also what are some good (preferably all-natural) muscle building supplements that won't break the bank?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well you are 24 so building muscle should not be a problem. I would recommend starting out with LIGHT weights for the first few weeks as you get back into it. Always warm up and stretch out before working out. So, for workouts. Day one, fun muscles, shoulders / arms (bi/tri) / pull-ups (weighted pull-downs if you can't do a pull-up).
    Day two: Legs and chest.
    Day three: Recovery Day.
    Day four: Shoulders / Arms / back.
    Day five: Legs and chest

That is what I would do for a first week back, but I don't know where you are starting at. After your week of that, your personal trainer will advise something better.

As for supplements...just eat healthy. Meats, veggies, nuts, etc. If you are gung-ho on taking a supplement, whey protein is a good choice.

I would also recommend signing up for the Men's Health Magazine and their free newsletters.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I got a gym membership and am finally getting back into weight lifting. It may be another week or so before I get my free personal trainer session, so I was wondering what a good daily workout routine would be to start out with. I'm not doing anything crazy, just want to get more upper body strength and better toned muscles.

Also what are some good (preferably all-natural) muscle building supplements that won't break the bank?

Frederic Delavier has a great series of books that are well rooted in research and an easy read. As far as supplements, creatine, protein (if your diet is inadequate), caffeine (preworkout). Light weight and good technique I'd also emphasize. Would skip squats and deadlifts until you're with a trainer as well

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Squats and Deadlifts are two of the best lifts you can do. If you really want to build some core strength look into the Hatch Squat program. It upped my Squat 55lbs in 12 weeks, but also really helped in every aspect of working out by really strengthening my core. I have abs of steel under my gut now! You probably be limited in what you can do depending on the gym. I bet they don't have bumpers, so you won't be able to do some explosive lifts like cleans, Snatches, Jerks. You could at least throw in some overhead should presses. To much bench pressing will cause shoulder mobility issues if you ever want to get into Olympic Style lifting, it takes a while for the "Bench" guys to limber up to do proper Olympic lifts.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm a big advocate in the Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength, 5x5 routine.

That is an excellent program to start building strength.

For supplements I'd just go with a good multivitamin and some whey protein powder. I like optimum nutrition for both.

ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (I recommend going with the chocolate)
    ON Men's Opti-Men

Bodybuilding.com usually has good prices. Steer clear of GNC it is overpriced in most of my experiences and the staff generally don't have a clue (think of it like the guys at the gun counters in Academy).

They also have a forum with a ton of information, product reviews, and advice on how best to get back into it.

I'll mirror the prior recommendation about holding off on squats and deadlifts (especially deadlifts) until your trainer shows you the proper form, if you don't know it already. They're heavy lifts working. Very important parts of the body.

Time everything. Time your rests so you know if you're starting to slack. Keeps track of the weight you're lifting at each lift so you can work on slowly increasing that weight.

Last edited:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm a big advocate in the Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength, 5x5 routine.

+1, check out Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Just about anyone who's actually done it swears by it...and he makes it pretty plain that to build strength, you only need to focus on some basic exercises with less than an hour a day in the gym.

One thing to point out though, Starting Strength and Stronglift 5X5 are different programs. VERY similar in approach but Starting Strength mostly focuses on 3X5 rep sets with higher weight...if I'm remembering correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

I also read a Men's Journal article recently that did a pretty good review of the book and broke down the most basic exercise program for building strength:

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/print-view/a-new-way-to-work-out-20130607

Last edited:
    Top Bottom