Went out to the TerrebonnePSO Range today [lots of pics and poor shots lol]

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    Shot my G17l for the first time, and spent some more time with my Sako Vixen (.223). I definitely have learned a lot today and am already practicing stuff like my grip, stance, and pulling the trigger. I can't wait to get back to the range again next week to see if I can manage a little more consistency and tighter groupings (with both the Glock and Sako).

Anyways, let me start off by saying today was as pretty a day as any to go shooting. Fair amount of cloud cover and wind made it comfortable. I still broke a sweat somehow :dunno:

I left my house with all this.
    oh343d.jpg

Drove down this road:
    21jt8i1.jpg

And found this place:
    112fj2a.jpg

I then idled down this awful road:
    29xslfb.jpg

Before I got here (normally filled with cop cars):
    167tsvk.jpg

Looks like someone had a lot of fun:
    zk0h80.jpg

Anyways, on to the shooting! I first shot my Glock 17L. I did 100rds at roughly 12yds. I should note that this was my frist time shooting the pistol, and only the third time that I've ever fired a pistol at a range (and only the 3rd time ever, for that matter).

Hopefully, that'll explain my terrible groupings and accuracy. I didn't take any pics while I was on the actual pistol range becuase some other people showed up and I dunno, I just feel awkward shooting a camera and not a gun at a rifle range :rofl:

Anyways, the targets are posted in the order they were shot. The first 4 were shot at with a full 17rds, while the last two only had 16rds a piece. I varied the target height between clips. Also, I am now aware that a Glock's magazine should not be called a clip at all. It was just easier to write :squint:

1st time up: 16 of 17 on the paper
    2n9zuav.jpg

2nd time up: 15 of 17 on the paper
    152f0vq.jpg

3rd time up: 17 of 17 on the paper, only 4 outside of the larger circle. This was one of my better attempts
    29dboev.jpg

4th time up: 16 of 17 on the paper; I'm pretty sure this was one of the times I changed the targets height. That or the "glocks shoot down and to the left" finally showed up in my shooting :confused:
    35bwc5j.jpg

5th time up: 11 of 16 on the paper; I think I was too confident and trying too hard here. I also tried a few shots with my right eye aiming (I am left eye dominant).
    ztaedy.jpg

6th time up: 16 of 16 on the paper; easily my best grouping I think. I was happy to run out of ammo on this note :D
    nn7ha1.jpg

Next, I decided to spend some more time with my Sako Vixen in .223. This was probably my best day with the gun compared to previous attempts. However, not the best groupings I've had with the gun. I'm very confident that the sight is rather off, especially at 50+ yds, which is what the last 2 targets were set at. My first attempt at 50~ yds wasn't bad, but I was bummed about my job with the 2nd target since I then realized that my "wind compensation" was really just a "your scope isn't sighted in properly compensation"

I'll hopefully get back out there soon and shoot the rest of the .223 rounds I have and hopefully get the scope adjusted better.

Anyways, here's the ugly range, my Sako, and my 1st target at not very far at all:
    28vvfoi.jpg

My first 7 shots at that short a range: This is better than I've previously done at this range, so I was happy about that. And honestly, I was pretty :mad: that 1 shot wasn't really on the orange. In all, not too bad, but I definitely need to tighten my grouping.
    2bpdab.jpg

The results of the targets moved way down range (those targets in the back of the first pic):

16 of 21: This was fairly good. The last time I was at the range I didn't shoot this distance because of how awful I did last time.
    The first time up, I was 4 of 7 on the paper, the second time up I was 7 of 7 on the paper; and the third time up I was 5 of 7 on the paper.
    2lcqs6p.jpg

This is the 2nd target I set up. I only had time for 7 rds, and additional 1rd. I was 8 of 8 on the paper, but pretty pissed with the results because this was when I realized how baddly sighted the gun was
    dlsy1z.jpg

In all, I'm happy with the Sako's results, but I've read else where that I could "easily manage 1" groupings at 100yds." So, I've got a lot to work on. Again, not terribly bad consider I think this was only my 4th time shooting her, and the only other rifles I've really shot besides here were .22s at a summer camp using iron sights :rofl:

IMPROMPTU CLIFFS:

Things I learned today at the range:

1. I'm not that terrible of a shot with my new pistol
    2. Confidence != accuracy
    3. Even though I'm right handed, my left eye dominance takes over when I'm shooting a pistol :hs:
    4. My scope on my sako isn't sighted in properly :doh:
    5. I need to purchase "reactive" targets so I can clearly see where my shots are landing and adjust accordingly.

Things to do next time I am at the range:
    1. Work on 2-3rd groupings with my glock, and take the time to properly adjsut between groupings.
    2. Use those reactive targets so my shots will appear bright orange and I can tell how good/bad I'm doing.
    3. Sight in my Sako Vixen for 25-50+yds
    4. Do more to observe the good habbits of other shooters and practice said habbits (ie: grip, stance, trigger practice, draw, etc).
    5. Be more consistent and manage better groupings :x:
    6. Relax more and become patient with myself so I can avoid trying to force a shot.

I'm hoping to get back out to the range on Monday since a friend who couldn't make it today really wants to go. Hopefully I'll be more relaxed and comfortable then with my stance and trigger pull to get some better groupings. :x:

stovebolt6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    berwick la
    looking like a good start just keep up the practice, and it will get better.

i have seen way worse from some of my close friends, and they have a lot more trigger time than you.

keep it up man.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    Thanks! I was hoping to not have any miss the paper at least, but that was probably unrealistic for me to expect considering how many rds I ended up shooting.

I know it's one of those things that will come with time. I'm just impatient. Hopefully I can turn that into quality time spent practicing. :D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Great pics man. By looking at your targets at 12 yards, it seems like you just need to focus on trigger control. You may have to get a little used to your cross-dominant situation, but that is not a big deal.

Crisp clear front sight. One shot at a time with a smooth even trigger press tstraight to the rear. Say it in your head, clear front sight, clear front sight, squeeze, squeeze, BANG.

If you can mentally make yourself focus on that front sight and never move it, you will be OK as long as you do not jerk the trgger. Once you get that down, you can increaqse speed and work on more combat or self-defense oriented shooting.

Not horribly bad though. that long slide will definitely work towards your adnavtage for accuracy.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Congradulations. Get out and shoot that is the only way to get better. With the rifle have someone who has alot of confidence or practice with scoped weapons shoot it. If they too can not get tighter grouping t may be a problem with the scope or the mounts or you could try different ammo. It may be something wrong with setup causing the shots to drift and may not be you.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    Yeah, trigger practice was the first thing Spank said when he saw the pics. It kinda cracks me up beacuse in hindsight, stuff like stance, grip, trigger pull, etc are all equally important in shooting, yet I never once thought to being something I needed to get educated about.

thanks for the insight. I'll definitely try that routine out to help calm myself.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    Congradulations. Get out and shoot that is the only way to get better. With the rifle have someone who has alot of confidence or practice with scoped weapons shoot it. If they too can not get tighter grouping t may be a problem with the scope or the mounts or you could try different ammo. It may be something wrong with setup causing the shots to drift and may not be you.
    Yeah, very true. I've got a Marlin 30-30 and I'm POSITIVE it's scope is terribly off. I've wanted to sight it in for a while now because it shot worse than my sako. Main reason I've not bothered to do that is becuase I'm not too confident in my shooting.

That, and I was hoping to find one of those bore lasers and using that to just make it really easy to do. I think the range actually has a gun stand (haggard looking, but hopefully it'll work) that can be used. I don't think it's too great though because everyone seems to just use the sandbags already set up at the tables.

I'm also wondering if it could (this is a stretch) be the rounds I'm using. I'm shooting Monarch rounds (cheap Russian stuff that Academy sells) and even in 55gr, the casings aren't properly ejecting every time. Could be the bolt on teh gun, but I'd like to think and hope that's not the case :hs:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    #1 that ammo will never get really tight groupings that I would say is defenitely part of the problem. But still at what looks to be 25yrds it should do better than that. (Please dont take anything I say personal just trying to help).

#2 put a sand bag front and rear. I see you had one for the front of the weapon did you have something on the rear?

#3 Check to make sure all of the screws that have anything to do with mounting the scope to the rifle are tight. Once the scope is mounted to the gun you may not beable to check some screws on the bases but either take the scope completely off to get to them or just check what you can.

Keep in mind that until you have the gun sighted in you really are not trying to become a better shot. What I mean by this is if your set up (Gun, Scope, Ammo, Rings, Bases) is not all tuned in then you dont know if you pulled a shot or not. So you as of now do not know if the set up is the problem or if you are imparting the inaccuracy.

So prority 1 is get the gun sighted in and see what it can do. Then once you know the the rifle can group if you are not in the X ring then you pulled the shot. Right now you cant tell. You may have been holding steady for all of your shots and they all would have been in the X ring with a good set up.

You have to have confidence in your equipment. Then you can go from there. Until you know what the weapon can do then anytime you miss your shot placement you are wondering is it me or the gun. I have one bolt gun that I am particularly fond of. If the shot is off target there in no question that I did not do my part. I have 110% confidence in the equipment so you take 1/2 out of the equation. I know where the shot is going to go before I pull the trigger. (Many people here will call BS but those that have rifles like this and shoot will understand).

But just have fun w/ it and try to not get too frustrated. I would love to help you out if I can. Just do not live around Houma / Thibodeaux and I am always away on work.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    lol, I'm not taking anything personal here. There's a lot about firearms I really don't know, and I'm perfectly fine admitting that :D

I'll definitely see if I can manage a better grouping with a better round. And for #2, no I only used one sand bag. I had my non-shooting hand holding the butt of the gun's stock. A 2nd sandbag probably would have been more effective in that situation.

Thanks for the tips and I'll definitely do that. The scope was probably mounted on teh gun some 15-20 years ago, so something could have definitely come loose in that time period. Again, thanks for the tips!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You MAY want to start a little closer to the target with the G17L and gradually move back one step at a time as long as you can keep ALL shots on the target. SQUEEZE the trigger and you will pull fewer low left. You had a good group on the last target, just pulled a few as many of us do.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Shot my G17l for the first time

Things to do next time I am at the range:
    1. Work on 2-3rd groupings with my glock, and take the time to properly adjsut between groupings.
    2. Use those reactive targets so my shots will appear bright orange and I can tell how good/bad I'm doing.
    3. Sight in my Sako Vixen for 25-50+yds
    4. Do more to observe the good habbits of other shooters and practice said habbits (ie: grip, stance, trigger practice, draw, etc).
    5. Be more consistent and manage better groupings :x:
    6. Relax more and become patient with myself so I can avoid trying to force a shot.

I'm hoping to get back out to the range on Monday since a friend who couldn't make it today really wants to go. Hopefully I'll be more relaxed and comfortable then with my stance and trigger pull to get some better groupings. :x:

Great pics man. By looking at your targets at 12 yards, it seems like you just need to focus on trigger control. You may have to get a little used to your cross-dominant situation, but that is not a big deal.

Crisp clear front sight. One shot at a time with a smooth even trigger press tstraight to the rear. Say it in your head, clear front sight, clear front sight, squeeze, squeeze, BANG.

If you can mentally make yourself focus on that front sight and never move it, you will be OK as long as you do not jerk the trgger. Once you get that down, you can increaqse speed and work on more combat or self-defense oriented shooting.

Not horribly bad though. that long slide will definitely work towards your adnavtage for accuracy.

True what Nolacop is saying. Look at these charts. I'm also right handed and left eye dominant, si i know what you are going thru.

284960537_EVTE3-L.jpg

284961085_pVAt5-L.jpg

284960720_oufSP-L.jpg

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Not bad for a first trip out. It gets better. I went from barely qualifying to shooting expert during basic training. Now I don't practice as much and my eyes are going bad and I'm mediocre at best.

The more time you dedicate to it the better you will shoot to a certain extent.

Get some snap caps and practice your trigger pull. Then take a friend to the range. Have him load the weapon. Let him put in a snap cap without telling you and see if you jerk. Then allow him to suprise you with a real round when you don't know its there. See if that makes a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom