Went to Jim's today out of desperation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Been there a few times.

1. They have lots of guns, accessories, parts.

2. Their customer service is lacking.
    a. Expect to wait to get some help.
    b. Don't expect a knowledgeable staff member to help you
    c. Expect to be told what you want.

3. Their policies are not consumer friendly.

I'm generally pretty easy going about stuff. I really find that I don't like going to Jim's.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I've been a number of times as well and have never experienced any customer service problems. Sure they may not know as much as they think they know but how's that different from anywhere else. Their prices are high and I've never purchased anything from them but I would not hesitate if I found something I wanted right then.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    That's because they hear, dozens of times a day... "I can get that for $___ less at ______".

Fine... go to _______.

Look, I'm not defending the place, as I have no stake in it nor a dog to protect. But I go in there a few times a month, and it NEVER fails... there is always some nimrod in there wanting a brother-in-law deal, and then getting pissy when they refuse; or an "expert" pontificating on his prowess/collection/whatever while the counter guys struggle to politely listen; or someone wanting some work done to his 1898 Rast-Gasser, and is amazed that they actually want to charge a fee for the work.

I worked part-time (off duty) in a small gunshop in Monroe for over a year. IOW, I have experience on both sides of the counter. Deal with enough tools (and their numbers are legion), and soon you'll be making yourself be polite.

I didn't say it was right... but its real.

my experience was a bit different than what you put it, but i know where you're coming from.. i walked in ready to drop $1,000 on a USP Compact Tactical. they didn't have it in stock and they wanted $200 more than what any other shop was asking to order it... the guy could have easily said: "Well have you looked at a M&P 45?" At that point he could have moved inventory, still got the sale, saved the customer money, and perhaps created a repeat customer. instead, he was very two dimensional and left it at that..

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I do go to Jims, I talk to Brian, or, if he sees me, and is not with a costumer, he will come over and ask if I need any help. Brian's a good guy, knows what he is talking about.
    When we had the problem with the scope, he called back and tried to make it rite, I still go in there, just not with a gun or scope to be dropped of for repair

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jim's business model excludes the savvy gun enthusiast that buys multiple firearms per year and appeals more toward the first-time and occasional gun buyer.

Conversely, Bud's Gun Shop, CDNN, etc focuses on high volume and directly targets the multiple guns/year purchasers...like most of us.

Both models are successful and as a consumer, I find them both useful.

bozakz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pine Grove, LA
    your a first time coustmer now they know your face be prepared to see there asses now

We didn't purchase anything but the wife liked the lc9. I think Nathan is the guy that helped us. Super nice, knowledgeable, and willing to show us anything. We went from 1911's, the judge, m&ps...you name it.

The wife and I own a business in lp and it all boils down to cus service. Even dealing with some of the worst customers you have to bite ur tongue and be nice.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Jim is a great guy. He personally knows more about all kinds of guns that I will Ever know. He doesn't come onto the floor much because he's really busy doing owner stuff in the office. Brian is The Best salesman and assistant manager I've seen at a gun store. I have repeatedly walked in, asked for Brian, and had him Find, order, and install whatever random part im looking for. I really don't mind paying the premium price because the customer service is That Good (provided you blow past the flunkies at the counter). As for the counter monkeys, you have to understand, they are Young guys, paid 8 bucks an hour, and the turn over is high. Are you expecting an expert? Also, you should hear the crap they do All Day, Every Day. From the poor guy who has No Clue what he wants (most common customer) to the a-hole who Demands to handle anything he wants and Doesn't Buy Anything, ever. So these young guys don't know much, and they are a little jaded from the retards and jackasses who float around like bar flies. Cut them some slack.
    Gunsmiths: Jims does all my gunsmithing work, specifically a guy named Scott. He can't do everything but he's a cool guy and won't screw you. The "master smith" Mr. Pete, is a dick. The amount of vitriol and plain old crabbyness that man spews is Epic. I won't let him touch my guns. If it requires more work than Scott can do, I send it off to the factory, which Brian will do for you, no questions asked.

Jub Jub

Cadillac
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    These same counter nazis who try to tell you the best way to protect yourself and your property kept a $6000 1911 in an UNLOCKED CASE!! To be fair, it is Jim's we're talking about so it was probably a $2500 1911 that they were selling for 6 grand.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    They aren't. Some are certainly not as knowledgeable as we might want them to be, but to the best of my knowledge I've never seen anyone in there, treated with less than courtesy and professionalism, who didn't ask for it first... with the exception of a certain "gunsmith" who is there part-time. Probably the same personality-challenged individual alex is referring to... :D

I stood there and heard two sales guys and a gunsmith talk MAD S#!t about a guy that drives a Lotus (BTW a very nice Lotus) that had bought a Kimber .22 and was having grouping troubles.

"Professionalism" At its best right??

Last edited:

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I stood there and heard two sales guys and a gunsmith talk MAD S#!t about a guy that drives a Lotus (BTW a very nice Lotus) that had bought a Kimber .22 and was having grouping troubles.

"Professionalism" At its best right??

now, THAT sounds like the Jim's I go to

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'll just say this. I've seen some of the same rifles and pistols on the shelves and in the cases for the past 3 years.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have never had any problem there.

You guys should try Lafayette Shooters', where the prices are MARK-UPS from MSRP'S. And, every employee is an absolute genius, walking firearms encyclopedia, & absolute authority on every subject.

One usually gets what one pays for, remember ? Were "Jim's" really that bad, the market would kill it. Looks to me that Jim's is prospering, even in this recession.

I, and probably many others, wish we had a "Jim's" here in New Orleans.

Buncha cry-babies here !

leVieux

Top Bottom