What’s so great about 6.5 ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Long story short, my son is now the owner of my Savage 110 FCP in .308 win (he killed his first deer with it 3 weeks ago) and I’m now in the market for a replacement.

We swung by Bowies and Academy to browse, and nearly half the rack was 6.5 creed more or some 6.5 variant.

Granted, I’ve done minimal research, but what’s with the hype? Is it really that good of a performer?

Handled the Tikka’s, Christensen arms, savages, and the two Rugers and one Remington they had on the shelves but none of the “spoke” to me. Only one that tickled the fancy a bit was a Wetherby.

So, should I REALLY be considering that round? Advantages / dis advantages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    My impressions only. I have no direct experience with any 6.5 variant. What I have read is that 6.5 has long been popular in Europe. 6.5 bullets offer high sectional density and ballistic coefficients and deep penetration in big game with moderate recoil. As with any other caliber, proper bullet selection for the intended use is important.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    6.5 Creedmore uses a .308 case necked down to a 6.5 mm bullet which makes a round that’s flatter shooting with better ballistics, similar to a 7mm-08 I reckon. So most people compare it to a .308. It’s kind of a niche caliber, ok for deer. Works great on a AR10 platform is really why it took off. On the AR10 platform, it is to the 7.62x51 what the 300BLK is to 5.56 on the AR15, meaning the only difference in the rifle is the barrel and you use the same mags and bolt, yada yada (although there are 6.5 specific BCG’s with twin ejectors and so forth I’ve found the standard AR10 bolt works just fine) That’s the meat of it. It’s not exactly a wonder cartridge and ammo is not easy to find. For a bolt action hunting rifle I much prefer a .270 Winchester.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have owned, shot, and hunted with both 308 and 6.5 CM for years. Both are great and good for hunting. The main advantage of 6.5 is the ballistic coefficient of the bullets which helps with long range accuracy.

Hunting like we do here in the south, the advantage diminishes as most shots are 50-100 yards for most people and maybe 200 yards at the most.

However, another thing to consider is that it has less recoil than the 308. This may be helpful to some people. If recoil does not matter, you should stick with 308 for shorter ranges for more energy. Both have a great selection of bullets. That said, I have killed many deer and hogs with 6.5 no problem even a 200 pound buck.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Highstandard40’s answer is what I have read.
    And just to disagree with everybody else. (having fun guys…)
    I believe the 260 Remington, which I have, is the 308 necked down. I absolutely love it with the Nosler 129gr ABLR.
    Eespecially on our pipeline where we have up to 600 yards if we chose. Great BC with this bullet in the 260. We have two pipelines that cross as well as open pastures so we routinely exceed 200 yards.
    And let’s face - you don’t need much to kill a deer…

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Put together a modern sporting rifle in 6.5 Grendel a few years ago. I was very surprised how accurate it was right out of the blocks before I was able to work up a specific load. All I ended up doing with load development was making the holes overlap more.

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To start, the .308 has been my go-to cartridge for 40+yrs and the .270 a second choice. Both with much success. Hard to beat what works.

That said, I have .260 Rem, 6.5CM and 6.5x55 Swedish firearms. Bolt guns, single shots and AR10s. Went through a couple of other 6.5mm’s in the past. 264 Win Mag & 6.5-06. Plus, I was fortunate to have shot a couple of custom 6.5x.284s belonging to a friend quite a bit. (Should have talked him out of one). No big complaints or issues with any.

The .260 (6.5-08), 6.5CM, 6.5x55 and 6.5x47 are, for the most part, ballistically similar with the 6.5x55SM having the edge due to a slightly longer case. The 6.5CM, has the shortest case but stays in the race due to higher pressures. The long for weight 6.5 bullets have excellent BC for long range performance and penetration capability for hunting.

The advantage of the 6.5CM is the use of the .30TC as a parent case and a 30degree shoulder. The case is shorter allowing the use of long ogive projectiles without seating the bullet deep into the case. The shorter case design also keeps the OAL with long projectiles short enough for the magazine box in a short action or an AR10 mag.

I like the 6.5CM for long range PRC style shooting and have used it antelope, whitetail and hog hunting. With the advancements in bullet design for both target and hunting use, one can pick their poison and do well.

Less recoil than the .300 Win Mag and better down range performance than the .308 past 1000yds.

Currently, I am working up loads for a .260 Rem in an XP-100 style pistol to use when hunting in the future. Should be interesting.

Now that there are a few more 6.5mm cartridges out there (6.5PRC, 6.5-300 Wby, 26 Nosler, etc.) I may need to try something new. The shorter barrel life in the over bore cartridges is a concern though.

Too many choices, too little time>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mgro10

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2023
    Leesville
    308 is good but the 6.5 is like your 24 year old hot trophy wife… it’s just better. But your 308 is still a hot 40 year old mom… if that makes sense

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    A PICTURE PAINTS A 1000 WORDS

Attachments

• 65creed.jpeg
      65creed.jpeg
      77.1 KB · Views: 96

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I've seen some problems with deer running off and little blood trail mainly because of too heavy a bullet used on deer. The 6mm best weight for deer hunting is 100gr, the 7mm-08----140gr. With 6.5 in the middle-----120gr to 130gr should be optimum for deer.

logan350z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2023
    Riverview
    Long story short, my son is now the owner of my Savage 110 FCP in .308 win (he killed his first deer with it 3 weeks ago) and I’m now in the market for a replacement.

We swung by Bowies and Academy to browse, and nearly half the rack was 6.5 creed more or some 6.5 variant.

Granted, I’ve done minimal research, but what’s with the hype? Is it really that good of a performer?

Handled the Tikka’s, Christensen arms, savages, and the two Rugers and one Remington they had on the shelves but none of the “spoke” to me. Only one that tickled the fancy a bit was a Wetherby.

So, should I REALLY be considering that round? Advantages / dis advantages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ive always thought of it like a chonky in between 556 and 308 but far more effective than 300.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I'm not a fan of the 6.5CM but I also have nothing against it. I am a fan of the 260 Rem., however. Seems many 260 Rem barrels have twist rates too slow for the longer, heavier bullets but if one is willing to rebarrel with a faster twist the 260 would be the way to go for .264" bullets with BCs popular with the 6.5CM.

Observing Hodgdon's load data for the 6.5CM, the loads with 100 gr. bullets look good, up to 3100+ FPS, but velocities get pretty low with 130-grainers. I believe it's safe to assume that the usual true factors that need to be considered regarding any cartridge's bullet selection aren't being considered with hunting with the 6.5CM and especially with the heavier bullets in .264" caliber, by many people, as many simply may not know the details of their bullet choice(s) regarding bullet construction and how a given bullet will likely perform at its general velocity.

I'd say stick with classic cartridges based off of either the 308 Win. case or the 30-06 SPRG case and roll with it. Put some powder behind the bullet and stop torturing game animals with weak cartridges, and while they're at it, spend some time learning something about ammunition.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The .260 rem will fall short in chasing the lands with 139-140gr bullets as far as fitting in a mag. I shot it competitively for a while so I’m quite familiar with the round. 2.860” max reliable with the binder plate in an AI mag. And yes I have tried mags without the binder plate with less than favorable results.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Mentioned in a post above was case length on a few cartridges had inaccurate info.
    The 6.5x47 Lapua is shorter than the 6.5 creedmoor case.

Attachments

• IMG_2866.jpeg
      IMG_2866.jpeg
      92.5 KB · Views: 51

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm not a fan of the 6.5CM but I also have nothing against it. I am a fan of the 260 Rem., however. Seems many 260 Rem barrels have twist rates too slow for the longer, heavier bullets but if one is willing to rebarrel with a faster twist the 260 would be the way to go for .264" bullets with BCs popular with the 6.5CM.

Observing Hodgdon's load data for the 6.5CM, the loads with 100 gr. bullets look good, up to 3100+ FPS, but velocities get pretty low with 130-grainers. I believe it's safe to assume that the usual true factors that need to be considered regarding any cartridge's bullet selection aren't being considered with hunting with the 6.5CM and especially with the heavier bullets in .264" caliber, by many people, as many simply may not know the details of their bullet choice(s) regarding bullet construction and how a given bullet will likely perform at its general velocity.

I'd say stick with classic cartridges based off of either the 308 Win. case or the 30-06 SPRG case and roll with it. Put some powder behind the bullet and stop torturing game animals with weak cartridges, and while they're at it, spend some time learning something about ammunition.
    I rolled 139gr Scenars out of that .260 with impressive accuracy. Primer pockets were shot after 4 to 5 firings though.
    Leaky primer pockets can jack up a boltface quick

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    For 130 gr. hunting bullets in .264" I'd choose Swift's Scirocco II. 1:9 recommended twist, ogive not crazy long unlike the Berger 130. Hodgdon load data for 260 Rem with a 130 claims velocity from their 24" barrel average (rounding) from 2500 FPS to 2750 FPS depending on powder burn rate. Not bad for a heavy-for-caliber bullet in a short action cartridge.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    For 130 gr. hunting bullets in .264" I'd choose Swift's Scirocco II. 1:9 recommended twist, ogive not crazy long unlike the Berger 130. Hodgdon load data for 260 Rem with a 130 claims velocity from their 24" barrel average (rounding) from 2500 FPS to 2750 FPS depending on powder burn rate. Not bad for a heavy-for-caliber bullet in a short action cartridge.
    Not sure if you have seen this but a good read on bullet weight, speed, and barrel length on the 6.5 creedmoor with drift and drop calculated into the data. It’s good stuff

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I cut my 24" Howa bull barrel down to 18" and recrowned to hunt with a suppressor. It always shot good, but it's a tack driver now even with the 140s.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I cut my 24" Howa bull barrel down to 18" and recrowned to hunt with a suppressor. It always shot good, but it's a tack driver now even with the 140s.

It has been my experience that a can screwed on the end of a barrel turns a good load into a great load.
    Maybe it’s more mass at the end of the barrel to help tune it. Or, maybe it’s the human element with the shooter having less recoil and noise allowing him to focus more on the shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom