What’s the most essential gear to have during a national emergency?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    A big stash of Crackers , Sardines , Vienna Sausages and Spam !

This is what I keep in my Hurricane supply cabinet ...
    along with Toilet Paper and Paper Towels !

What kind of Emergency we talking about ...
    the Frito Bean Dip shortage ... what !!!
    Gary

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I always thought that food, water, shelter was actually in reverse order.

Shelter (incl security and protection from the elements)
    Water (way to collect and store)
    Food (pantry, long term stores, foraging).

After watching people stand in 100f heat for hours after Katrina for a tarp and 2 cases of water…I decided to start there.
    Assuming our multi billion $$$ levees don't allow for flooding like 2005, I will be staying in place like I did after Ida. All of us probably have more guns'n'ammo than required so it really boils down (pun intended) to ensuring you have clean water and food sources beyond your stockpile. Our tri-fuel generator ran for nearly two weeks on household natural gas supply before Entergy got our electricity restored. But this thread reminds me we all need to be better prepared to survive.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I grew up downriver from New Orleans basically at or below sea level. Lived through many hurricanes down there starting with Betsy. After I got out of school, I moved to Baton Rouge to about 35 feet ASL. Lived through lots of hurricanes there starting with Andrew. Getting ready to move to Franklinton to about 280 ASL. Continually looking for higher ground has basically been my lifetime strategy. Pretty much the same for the rest of my family. I no longer have any relatives in or downriver from New Orleans except in a cemetery.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I grew up downriver from New Orleans basically at or below sea level. Lived through many hurricanes down there starting with Betsy. After I got out of school, I moved to Baton Rouge to about 35 feet ASL. Lived through lots of hurricanes there starting with Andrew. Getting ready to move to Franklinton to about 280 ASL. Continually looking for higher ground has basically been my lifetime strategy. Pretty much the same for the rest of my family. I no longer have any relatives in or downriver from New Orleans except in a cemetery.
    Betsy was the first bad hurricane I remember also ...

My daddy was a Lineman for Gulf States Utility Co ...

He was gone from home for 3 weeks putting up downed power lines .

Is we showing our age now !
    Gary

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hurricane Betsy was the first one I remember . I've really grown to hate those damn things .
    I was pretty young for Betsy and thought it was a great adventure. I was happy to haul water in buckets from a few blocks away to boil and so we could flush toilets. Fast forward to sitting in the attic of my house for Andrew looking for a water leak and watching the rafters move back and forth with the gusts. Ohhhh merde!

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I am Praying for another Hurricane Season like last year ...

Not One Named Hurricane Hit Louisiana ... Yes !!!

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but I don't remember any Hurricanes ... If I'm wrong ... let me know so I can amend My Prayer's ... I don't want to give the Good Lord any bad info !
    Gary

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Nutria burgers is another good one that comes to mind. Never would have thought it was edible but I have a Cajun uncle who made it taste delicious.
    Several years ago they were trying to get people to eat them so they had a nutria cookoff. Smiley Anders (RIP) was a "judge" and when asked what it tasted like, he paused and said, "kinda like cocker spaniel". :bowrofl:

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Water and water filtration, canned goods if you don’t have freeze dried or MREs. Any Medicines you are currently taking. Self defense and for long term disasters, multiple people will help in the long term.

Edited to add. A small solar panel set up for charging small items like batteries for flashlights really helps out.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Water and water filtration, canned goods if you don’t have freeze dried or MREs. Any Medicines you are currently taking. Self defense and for long term disasters, multiple people will help in the long term.

Edited to add. A small solar panel set up for charging small items like batteries for flashlights really helps out.
    Also the means to cook food and boil water.

Top Bottom