What am I buying?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    This is more of a "rant" than a question, but it just drives me crazy. Yesterday my wife sent off our last payment to the IRS for taxes they say we "owe" them. What the hell did I buy from them? I buy a vehicle, I owe the dealership the cost of the vehicle, etc. I've worked my way up in the oilfield since '94 and have worked very hard to have the position I have at a younger age than most of my equals. They cut the hell out of my wife and I's checks every payday. I have them take extra out so we don't owe so much at tax time, but still again, here we sit paying more taxes. What am I really paying for? Yea, I know, I gotta pay it, but why and what reason? This just burns my ass every year.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I got fed up a few years ago. Now I regularly go to my representatives Web sites and tell them I want lower taxes and less entitlements. If everyone made it their issue they'd have to start responding to it.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What burns my ass is when money gets taxed more than once. This is an actual example.

1. The money I take home from my paycheck has been taxed once. I buy stock with this money.
    2. The profits I make from my stock are taxed at upwards of 30% for capital gains.
    3. The items I buy with the proceeds from the sale of the stock is taxed again. Alcohol, gas, property... tack on additional taxes on top of sales tax.

Don't even think about buying stock in a foreign company like the company I work for. Foreign government taxes get tacked on to other taxes as well.

Its all just too much. Im to the point now where I'm not even buying stocks anymore in my day trading account because the taxes cut into my profits too much. I don't know about the rest of you, but if my taxes were cut I would DEFINITELY be buying more stocks, land, and having a house built which would create jobs and stimulate the economy. So what am I doing now with the money I'm making? Absolutely nothing. Its sitting in a savings account drawing fractions of a percent and that's where it will stay.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    What burns my ass is when money gets taxed more than once. This is an actual example.

1. The money I take home from my paycheck has been taxed once. I buy stock with this money.
    2. The profits I make from my stock are taxed at upwards of 30% for capital gains.
    3. The items I buy with the proceeds from the sale of the stock is taxed again. Alcohol, gas, property... tack on additional taxes on top of sales tax.

Don't even think about buying stock in a foreign company like the company I work for. Foreign government taxes get tacked on to other taxes as well.

Its all just too much. Im to the point now where I'm not even buying stocks anymore in my day trading account because the taxes cut into my profits too much. I don't know about the rest of you, but if my taxes were cut I would DEFINITELY be buying more stocks, land, and having a house built which would create jobs and stimulate the economy. So what am I doing now with the money I'm making? Absolutely nothing. Its sitting in a savings account drawing fractions of a percent and that's where it will stay.

Yeah but then the leaches might have to start working and the democrats would lose votes.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Also you're either not withholding enough or you need to hire someone better to do your taxes ;)

And if y'all make enough money, it would likely save you some taxes to get a divorce.

Pump out some kids while you're at it or invite some old people to come be your dependents.

However, this is not to be construed as tax advice and you should consult an accountant or attorney ;)

Last edited:

Malaka

Seeker of Truth
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Covington, LA
    And if y'all make enough money, it would likely save you some taxes to get a divorce.

Pump out some kids while you're at it or invite some old people to come be your dependents.

However, this is not to be construed as tax advice and you should consult an accountant or attorney ;)

That's an interesting thought. I wonder what the perfect combination of marital status / dependents / alimony & child support / pre-tax "child care" spending account (to your ex-spouse hehe) / pre-tax healthcare spending account / etc. would be to minimize somebody's taxes.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    They take about $600 out of my check everyweek $600 I could be buying guns, eating out, saving to purchase a house, or spending at locally owned stores. Im tired of supporting corporations I refuse to shop at walmart unless no local businesses have or can get something I need. I see small mom and pop businesses drying up and going out of business all the time all over the united states with my job. There are very nice small communities turning into ghost towns due to this economy and peoples drive to save a buck shopping at huge department stores. Big power lobbyist corporations will be the demise of our country. I know this is off topic just fed up with it.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    you know I have no problem paying my fair share but i really need to ask what is income security ? The we have 16% for medicare and 8% for health??? And good old social security just maybe I might get a few dollars from it if I live long enough.

Top Bottom