What are we in for now? Another school shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well, we haven't changed anything since this started happening, why do we expect this to stop?

Why don't all local municipalities give the local police an office inside all public schools and give them a free breakfast or lunch there too? It gives the officers a place to do paperwork, etc. instead of having to do this inside their patrol car in a parking lot somewhere. By doing this the school has extra police officers at the school to respond to emergencies.
    That way for a relatively small coast the school has extra law officer(s) on campus. This is much better alternative compared to other security alternatives and may circumvent some idiot that wishes malicious intent at a "no firearms" school.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Yeah I don't get it. One officer per school filled with children seems like a good allocation of resources.

According to the media, keeping that in mind, there was one at this school in Washington. Although from my understanding this was a large school. 2500 students. So I am not sure one is enough for that size of a school.

I like the idea of using some veterans to guard each entrance. I am sure there would be plenty of willing.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah wow that's a pretty big school. And yeah it seems like there are plenty of common-sense ways to deter this stuff. On top of cops, vets, I'm sure there are plenty of moms, dads, granddads etc. who would volunteer to protect their kids. Let alone the staff who work there everyday.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    We need to make schools a "no sh!t head zone". The school shootings will never stop happening, so how does our planning and preparation evolve once we acknowledge this unfortunate truth.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    We had an officer assigned to West Monroe High school in Ouachita Parish. I'm not sure if they had an officer at every school in the parish, but I know a couple of the other high schools did too. This was back in 06-09 and I doubt anything has changed since I graduated. Besides there being an officer on duty there everyday just about everybody kept rifles and shotguns in their truck during hunting season. Most of the teachers and principles knew and nobody made a big deal about, hell I remember the principles taking some of the rifles out and looking at them in the morning before school started.

RovingDisco

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Rocket City, Alabama
    Back when I was in high school in Alabama several years ago we had 2 police officers (Officer Fudge and Officer Whipley). I always thought it was common to have police while in school. We also had two "security" officers that did not carry and worked for the city schools.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Yeah wow that's a pretty big school. And yeah it seems like there are plenty of common-sense ways to deter this stuff. On top of cops, vets, I'm sure there are plenty of moms, dads, granddads etc. who would volunteer to protect their kids. Let alone the staff who work there everyday.
    A colleague of mine's father is a principal in one of the parishes around toledo bend. He had told me one time that the principal has the authority to allow teachers to carry and they determine if officers are on duty or not. I am unsure the validity of his statement. Assuming this is true, why do they not take more actions? I would assume is has to do with fear for their job. Are their any educators on here that can verify that?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    wardt
    Top Bottom