What are you reading now

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    "Married to the Mouse" it's the story of Walt Disney World from the urban planning perspective. How they acquired the land, got the FL legislature to let them form their own local Government (with the right to issue tax free municipal bonds, control the building inspection process, build their own nuclear power plant). It chronicles how WDW was built and how Disney was both an economic blessing and a curse to Orange and Osceola counties.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I read a ton of random stuff, my favorites are anything by Christopher Moore, I re-read them constantly and he has a new one coming within the month. A few weeks ago I tried out Connie Willis, "To Say Nothing Of The Dog" was completely irreverent and had me laughing constantly, while "Doomsday Book" was based on similar events but much darker. Pierce Brown's first novel "Red Rising" is a dystopian fantasy I really enjoyed, can't wait for his follow-ups. Also, "The Martian" by Andy Weir was pretty good, the main character was imminently likeable. "One Second After" by William Forstchen was a pretty good post-apocalypse novel, dealing with a massive EMP strike on the US.

And since the series is starting up again, the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin, known collectively as "Game of Thrones"

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have several writers I keep up with. I've read all of Stephen Hunter's books, as well as those by Lee Child, Barry Eisler, Vince Flynn, Mark Greaney, and I'm now working my way through the books of Michael Connelly.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    "Married to the Mouse" it's the story of Walt Disney World from the urban planning perspective. How they acquired the land, got the FL legislature to let them form their own local Government (with the right to issue tax free municipal bonds, control the building inspection process, build their own nuclear power plant). It chronicles how WDW was built and how Disney was both an economic blessing and a curse to Orange and Osceola counties.

Does it cover how they tried to come to the Northshore before Orlando? And how we screwed ourselves out of a fortune?

Gman2255

Sho-nuff
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    Independence; Hammond area
    Just finished The Dark Tower series by King. It was pretty damn good. Its a western and fantasy mixed into one.
    Now I am reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Its great, seems everything i've read by Sanderson is great.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Does it cover how they tried to come to the Northshore before Orlando? And how we screwed ourselves out of a fortune?

I always heard that Disney had came to Louisiana looking at land for a possible theme park site and was turned off by requests for kickbacks. The book describes the following - Walt Disney and his people landed in Orlando and got in a smaller plane and flew over the Florida turnpike / I-4 area. He's quoted as saying "This is the place" during that flight. They immediately left Orlando for a stay in New Orleans and when they landed the news was carrying the Kennedy Assassination. They spent the night and met with some people but the Orlando site had already won. Florida had too many highways leading down from the Atlantic Seaboard and the Midwest. But there is a true story that might be responsible for the New Orleans rumor. Disney ALMOST built a theme park in St Louis, MO but Auggie Busch the Beer Magnate said "Anyone who thinks they can run an attraction in St Louis without serving liquor should have his head examined." He said this standing right next to Disney, the Governor, mayor and a bunch of other people. Walt's only reaction was to arch one eyebrow. He turned to one of his people and said "How early can we fly out of here tomorrow?" The guy told him "Walt, we're meeting with the bankers and real estate people to sign all the papers tomorrow" All Disney said was "The deals off let's get out of here" Disney World looks like a huge blessing to the Orlando area but there were/are a lot of drawbacks to the area. Infrastructure demands for roads, housing for low wage workers(tourism jobs aren't high paying for the most part) etc outpaced the tax revenures in a lot of cases. There's a feeling that Orlando got labeled as a Tourism town and a lot of High Tech jobs that would have gone there didn't because of the image.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I always heard that Disney had came to Louisiana looking at land for a possible theme park site and was turned off by requests for kickbacks. The book describes the following - Walt Disney and his people landed in Orlando and got in a smaller plane and flew over the Florida turnpike / I-4 area. He's quoted as saying "This is the place" during that flight. They immediately left Orlando for a stay in New Orleans and when they landed the news was carrying the Kennedy Assassination. They spent the night and met with some people but the Orlando site had already won. Florida had too many highways leading down from the Atlantic Seaboard and the Midwest. But there is a true story that might be responsible for the New Orleans rumor. Disney ALMOST built a theme park in St Louis, MO but Auggie Busch the Beer Magnate said "Anyone who thinks they can run an attraction in St Louis without serving liquor should have his head examined." He said this standing right next to Disney, the Governor, mayor and a bunch of other people. Walt's only reaction was to arch one eyebrow. He turned to one of his people and said "How early can we fly out of here tomorrow?" The guy told him "Walt, we're meeting with the bankers and real estate people to sign all the papers tomorrow" All Disney said was "The deals off let's get out of here" Disney World looks like a huge blessing to the Orlando area but there were/are a lot of drawbacks to the area. Infrastructure demands for roads, housing for low wage workers(tourism jobs aren't high paying for the most part) etc outpaced the tax revenures in a lot of cases. There's a feeling that Orlando got labeled as a Tourism town and a lot of High Tech jobs that would have gone there didn't because of the image.

Like you I had heard it was the kickbacks that killed the park here. I had heard it was early in the deal and that they were looking in Mandeville at the lakefront.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom