What Burrowing Critter Am I Dealing With?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    So, I notice a hole, just a few feet from my gate. A burrow of some type. I get on the Google, Norweigan rat? Not following the 6" burrow depth.

So, can anyone tell me what I am dealing with? If it is a snake, I am moving. Or really going to war.

Attachments

• Monster1.jpg
      Monster1.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 83
    • Monster2.jpg
      Monster2.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 86

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A couple weeks ago I noticed a turtle nest which had been excavated by some sort of varmint. It had a similar diameter, but not nearly as deep. Notice any egg shells? You got me curious now.

Reach down in that sucker and see what happens!:eek3:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I can't tell by the picture. Is it just a dead end hole? If so, I have had armadillos dig holes that deep in my yard.

The tape measure shows the depth, then the tunnel hangs a horizontal turn. 3" by 24" would not work well with armadillo.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very few snakes, if any, actually dig holes. They will occupy holes dug by other critters.
    If you are in the Florida parishes, it might be a pocket gopher. Otherwise, it more than likely is a rat. Set a trap with peanut butter outside the hole and see what happens. Make sure the snapper on the trap snaps towards the hole.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    A couple weeks ago I noticed a turtle nest which had been excavated by some sort of varmint. It had a similar diameter, but not nearly as deep. Notice any egg shells? You got me curious now.

Reach down in that sucker and see what happens!:eek3:

Will hold your beer while you do such. :rofl:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Very few snakes, if any, actually dig holes. They will occupy holes dug by other critters.
    If you are in the Florida parishes, it might be a pocket gopher. Otherwise, it more than likely is a rat. Set a trap with peanut butter outside the hole and see what happens. Make sure the snapper on the trap snaps towards the hole.

Yes, pretty sure it is not a snake. But, I have a dog, and that is his yard, so rat trap is not pratical.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    An armadillo won't fit in the hole. Around 3" Wide hole. The hole goes down and angles towards horizontal. Don't know how far. Yet.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    My armadillos dig shallow holes. Nothing long and deep like that.

I have no idea what it is but I have a very specific method of dealing with any hole like that. I've had snakes come out of similar holes (I've read they hijack the space) several times while mowing. I fill any hole like that with concrete as soon as I see them. Just leave it a few inches under the grass so you can cover it.

I really hate snakes but snakes popping out of holes I hate much more.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    who cares if it is a snake(s). snakes are good to have around. they eat the rats and mice you don't want in your house

Ha, my cats kill the snakes and rats then bring them in the house to eat them, that is before they vomit them up...ewww!:puke:

Just taking a guess, a mole possibly?

Usually a tunnel with a mole.

Your first instincts were probably right Fred. Or, you have a nuclear fallout induced crawfish from RSC's explosion...greasy grimy gopher guts! Now, hand me back my beer I need another sip, sir.;)

There's always Fracking to consider.:crazy:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom