What Dilllon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I was going to go use a RCBS Piggy Back conversion. Have had it and never set it up, on my old RC single stage but looks to be finicky so axed that idea. As figured getting a real progressive is key to problem free.
    Would keep my single stage for forming brass and reloading but want to go with a 650 or 550 and use it just for 9mm and 45acp.
    What one would be better keeping in mind I want to swap from 9mm to 45acp.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The RL-550 is cheaper to buy and swap from one caliber to the other. It doesn't have auto indexing, which is important to some. The XL-650 has auto-indexing and the case feeder is able to handle rifle calibers as well, which you can't do on the RL-550. The XL-650 w/case-feeder is ~$350 more in cost. To switch the XL-650 over to another caliber is a little more involved but can be done by most in less than 30 minutes. An XL-650 conversion is $75 versus $47 for the RL-550. That is most of the differences but there are a few more.

Beauxdog

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    I was in the same boat you were about two months ago. Although I dragged my heals for a long time. I had been using a single stage since the late 70's and went to a turret about three years ago. I never had a problem with the single stages... They crank out good ammo.
    However, recently I decided to go full on and buy a Dillon. I thought about the 550 but in the end I went with the 650. So happy with it! The only complaint I have with it is I run out of lead to fast! :)
    I bought mine from Beauxdog (Bryan)..... He has them setup in his shop so you can see them in action. I'd recommend taking the drive to his shop. Great guy and a wealth of knowledge. Tons of powder and components too.
    I load .45acp, .45 colt and 9mm on it at the moment. I don't have a problem doing the caliber changes on it. Actually just changed it tonight from 45 colt to 45acp. Only took about 20 minutes but I also didn't have to fool with the primer tubes since both use large primers.
    Anyway all I can say is I'm very happy with the 650.
    Oh and get the case feeder. I originally bought mine without and used it to load about 400 9mm. It gets tiring to keep filling the case tube since it goes fast. I was back at Bryan's the next week picking up the feeder.

I still use my single stage to load 30/06 and 45/70 but only because I don't shoot those that much. If that changed I'd get the caliber conversions for those calibers too.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks I guess one day I will go see them in action. Looks like the RL550 is a Turret of sorts {reverse that is} as the plates moves instead of the dies. How much better is it than say a RCBS Turret?
    That may be better for me as it has easy change overs. I load lots and lots of calibers and would keep one a single stage. But want something faster for 9mm and 45, as that is what I cast and shoot the most of when I shoot.

Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    With a turret, the best you can do is process one case to loaded round at a time, dragging the tool head to each position--so one loaded round could take 3-5 pulls of the handle. With the "crippled" 550, you procrss four cases with each pull and with the 650 you process five cases with each pull--and it auto-indexes, which I consider safer.
    If I wanted a turret, it would be Lee, with auto-indexing.
    Watch videos and read the manuals before you buy anything.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The 550 is far from a turret press. It is a manually indexed progressive and will produce ammo capable of 1/4" groups at 100 yards.
    I have both 550 and 650 presses and use both of them, a lot. I'd love to add a 1050 to the stable but bench space and funds are preventing that, for now.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks for the replys I thought the RL550 only did one case per-pull. Looked at a Video at Dill after i saw ya'll post here.
    Think that will be my best bet but will go to BR and try them out. since you guys say he has them set up.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Are y'all getting them locally are ordering online

Bought mine from Bryan (Beauxdog) at Louisiana Gun and Reloading 12728 Jefferson Hwy in BR. I'm not sure if he is back open yet though after his shop took on a little water from the flood. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Do y'all guys know if Bryan is back up and running yet..thanks

Hes on this thread and is checking his email. I had a message from him on the 7th and said he was still waiting on flooring contractors so I don't think he is open yet. He said he would take a couple weeks to move back in once they are done.
    I'm sure when he is open he will send an all clear. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom