What distance to practice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am going to Precision today to practice with my carry handgun. Those of you who practice drawing from a holster concealed, how far our do you put your target to practice shooting?

Thanks
    Scott W.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    90% of my practice at Precision is rapid fire at 10 feet or less while drawing from the holster. The other 10% time I'll put it all the way back to the end and to wrap up for fun I'll shoot the steel plates with the .45.

Be sure to bring your holster and use it safely. It's one of the few ranges around here where you can still draw from the holster and shoot rapid fire.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Additionally, they don't have a good selection of targets there. The most popular targets people use there is the B27 silhouette but the X on those is way too low. If you train to shoot for that X you'll just hit people in the stomach where they will enventually bleed to death after killing you.

If you use the B27 target shoot for the 8 point mark on it. That's pretty much center of mass and will more likely result in a quick stop.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I think that most confrontations originate at 20ft or closer. It takes an attacker with a knife 1.5 secs to cover 20ft and gut you...so 20ft or less is what I train at. If you have someone that can move the target for you (like Dawg did during our test) I think that is a good idea too.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I forgot to say it in my last post...

For defense training, I usually don't go out past 20 feet or so. I do go as close as 7 feet while already drawn.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I drew and shot at 20 feet today. Its MUCH different than target shooting IMO. Some things I learned include... the need for more practice, the importance of lifting my shirt high with the left hand so that my gun doesn't get tangles up while being drawn, and proper sight alignment. Overall I didn't think I did too bad. It seems like forever between drawing and the time the first shot goes off, but in actuality it all happens relatively fast. Right now I'm more focused on safety and correct technique than speed. With practice I hope to be able to accomplish well placed shots with a smooth, fluid motion.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you want some help let me know and I'll meet you up there next time. I usually shoot at Precision at least once a week and have a shot timer we can use to gauge your progress.

My opinion, learn to draw with one hand. 50% of the time it's the only one you're going to have available.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you want some help let me know and I'll meet you up there next time. I usually shoot at Precision at least once a week and have a shot timer we can use to gauge your progress.

My opinion, learn to draw with one hand. 50% of the time it's the only one you're going to have available.

I'll definitely let you know next time. Thanks for the offer. I could sure use someone to point out to me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

And just for an XD range report:
    I shot 250 rounds today out of my 9mm subcompact without a single hiccup.
    I had 2 shots that I had to release the trigger again because I don't think I let it out past the reset before squeezing again. Operator error.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Precision is in Baton Rouge off Seigan Lane. The ventilation in there is excellent.

You probably won't have any problems with a well lubed XD, but it's critical you learn and practice malfunction drills as part of your routine. I've been to enough classes to know that Murphy's Law is still in full effect.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I drew and shot at 20 feet today. Its MUCH different than target shooting IMO. Some things I learned include... the need for more practice, the importance of lifting my shirt high with the left hand so that my gun doesn't get tangles up while being drawn, and proper sight alignment. Overall I didn't think I did too bad. It seems like forever between drawing and the time the first shot goes off, but in actuality it all happens relatively fast. Right now I'm more focused on safety and correct technique than speed. With practice I hope to be able to accomplish well placed shots with a smooth, fluid motion.

Scott:

You are to be commended for recognizing the need for practice and then following through. Lots of folks talk about it, but very few actually do it. remember, the only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss - take your time while you hurrry.

I'm betting you'll be one of the 1% that sign up for a tactial pistol class.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think a tactical pistol class would be extremely interesting and intense. I can definitely see myself taking one of those classes in the near future.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I think a tactical pistol class would be extremely interesting and intense. I can definitely see myself taking one of those classes in the near future.

Stay in tune with this site http://www.louisianaselfdefense.com/ and Pangris. Any instructor he brings to town is well worth investing your time with.

The only reservation I have about the preceding recommendation is that Pangris will tell me I ended it with a preposition.

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Stay in tune with this site and Pangris. Any instructor he brings to town is well worth investing your time with.

The only reservation I have about the preceding recommendation is that Pangris will tell me I ended it with a preposition.

LOL It is a common southern attribute to end a sentence with a preposition. That being said, I a'int got no clue where them classes is gonna be at.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    They are held at the LSU Police Academy range about twice a year. Next one is carbine training in September. Handgun class is next year. Average price is about $500 + another $500 in ammo for 2 - 3 full days of training. Start saving now if you feel your life is worth $1,000.

Top Bottom