What do I do with this?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I received a letter from the La. Dept of Revenue with regards to taxes owed for 1998 by my eldest son, who passed away in 1999. Amount around $120. I had received the same letter in 2000 about this matter and took a copy of death certificate to the local office and spoke to them. They pecked around in their computer and made a copy of the certificate and she said it was taken care of. Now, 9 years later, here we go again.

I do not feel like tackling this again. If I just ignore it, what can happen? He lived at home with us at the time so the address is the same as ours. He was a Junior so our names are alike. They do have his SS# correct so is there any chance of them screwing up my tax records? If not, I'd like to ignore this letter as it isn't pertaining to me. Thanks

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    call the 800 number and explain the situation... or just tell them that he no longer lives with you and give them his current address as the address of his burial site in care of the cemetery's name... that will get the point across.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Hearing from people I know who have dealt with IRS (just noticed you said LDR) screw-ups, it is probably worth it to deal w/ it now. If this somehow gets pinned to you, then it could take years of your time and more than the $120 to get it resolved. Hopefully someone who works in this Field can chime in with more experience (b/c I do not have any).

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I received a letter from the La. Dept of Revenue with regards to taxes owed for 1998 by my eldest son, who passed away in 1999. Amount around $120. I had received the same letter in 2000 about this matter and took a copy of death certificate to the local office and spoke to them. They pecked around in their computer and made a copy of the certificate and she said it was taken care of. Now, 9 years later, here we go again.

I do not feel like tackling this again. If I just ignore it, what can happen? He lived at home with us at the time so the address is the same as ours. He was a Junior so our names are alike. They do have his SS# correct so is there any chance of them screwing up my tax records? If not, I'd like to ignore this letter as it isn't pertaining to me. Thanks

I'd probably work on it. My father and I have the same name minus Jr or Sr. Even though some of my credit shows on his and some of his on mine. Credit companies are looking to screw anyone. Luckily the things showing on ours vice-versa are bad or good, we are working on fixing it. It is worse in your situation where you are still dealing with a lost one and they keep bringing up emotional memories. I hope you can get this taken care of.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    probably the easiest thing to do is send the letter back with a copy of the death cert. and leave it at that...just ignoring it could end up with them compounding fines and still having to deal with it again later...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    probably the easiest thing to do is send the letter back with a copy of the death cert. and leave it at that...just ignoring it could end up with them compounding fines and still having to deal with it again later...

I agree. Send them a certified copy of the death certificate. They should need no more than that.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Did you accept your son's estate? If so you're liable for his bills as well as his possessions. You may be stuck with this, but I'd talk to the attorney that did the estate. IANAL though...

Top Bottom