What do you all use to clean optics?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Well, I have taken my eotech out to shoot a few times now and each time I noticed a little oil and dirt on the lens after shooting. I have some lens cloths safe for AR coating on eyeglasses that I use on my eyeglasses and I have been using those. I question it though, because Eotech's manual states never to clean the optics dry and always use wet solution. Any decent optics cleaning kits or tools I can put together to treat my Eotech with utmost care?

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I use a product called Clear Horizons Made by Island Girl Products I purchased this a few years ago as part of a kit to protect the gelcoat on my boat. It's designed to clarify glass and clear plastic surfaces by filling in the microscopic pits and scratches without damaging any existing coatings. I have used on eyeglasses, camera lenses, and the lexan windows on the boat with very good results.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    30053L.jpg

They are less than $10. Buy one and keep it in your range bag/gun case.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    As per the USO instructions I just so happen to have laying on my desk...

To clean dust off the lense use a blow bulb, clean compressed air at low pressure or an artists camel hair (or similar) brush.

If you HAVE to clean your lenses, use lint-free surgical Q-tips or swabs and fresh filtered acetone. Pour a little acetone in a ceramic or clean metal cup (acetone will melt plastic). Dip the swab in the acetone and make a clean circular pass starting at the center of the lens. Throw the swab away (don't dip back in the acetone because it will contaminate the acetone and the surface of the lens), and with another fresh swab, repeat the process until the lens is absolutely clean. Do not rub or scrub with a scrubbing motion, make a pass and with a clean acetone soaked swab, repeat the operation.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Part of my job involves cleaning medical optics. All the manufacturers recommend denatured alcohol or acetone because they leave no film or haze.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Part of my job involves cleaning medical optics. All the manufacturers recommend denatured alcohol or acetone because they leave no film or haze.

Eotech's manual tells you NOt to use either of those.

MAINTENANCE AND CARE
    Your HWS is a precision instrument that deserves reasonably cautious care. The
    following tips are provided to ensure long lasting use of the sight.
    1. The optical system and the window are coated with anti-reflection material.
    When cleaning the glass surfaces, first blow away any dirt and dust. Fingerprints
    and lubricants can be wiped off with lens tissue or a soft cotton cloth, moistened
    with lenscleaning fluid or glass cleaner sold in any camera store.
    Never clean the glass surface with a dry cloth or paper towel; always dampen
    the glass surfaces prior to cleaning
    2. All moving parts of the sight are permanently lubricated. Do not try to
    lubricate them.
    3. No maintenance is needed on the sight’s surface, except to occasionally wipe
    off with a soft cloth. Use only a water-based cleaner such as glass cleaner,
    ammonia, or soap and water. Never use any solvent-type cleaner such as
    alcohol or acetone.

4. Never disassemble the sight’s optical assembly. The optical cavity is purged,
    nitrogen filled, and sealed to achieve fog proof performance. Disassembly
    will void the warranty.

That is why I was so unsure about what to buy and use on my optics.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I use LCD screen cleaner with and LCD or sunglass cleaning cloth. Initial pass being very wet. (A lens pen in the field, or a shirt tale if nothing else)

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Are the lenses on Eotechs glass or plastic? If they, or any part of the housing, are plastic then that is most likely the reason for using a waterbased cleaner.

The lenses appear to be glass with an anti-reflective coating applied to them. Surrounding areas are all metal as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom