What fixins do you put in your crawfish boil?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    MUSHROOMS!!!!!!

I was at one boil when they poured melted butter all over the crawfish after dumping them into the ice chest.

Oh... My... God... So good.

Sounds like a greasy mess. Could you peel them with butter all over them? Now melted butter to dipped the peeled crawfish and potatos in is a win. I dont usually add anything to crawfish that adds oil because then your hands are slipping off the crawfish while you try to peel them. I drop sausage in the water after I pull the crawfish.

cranedriver

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    North Mt. Hermon, La.
    I always do this after the boil, when the last batch of crawfish is pulled I bring the water back to boil and then shut of the fire then drop in a whole picnic ham. I let it soak in the water for maybe two hours with lid on the pot have gone as long as three hours before when we remebered the ham. It is real good just break out a fork and knife and start slicing, if you like spicy its on the outside and the meat gets milder as you get to the center.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Lemons,Onions, sausage,mushrooms,celery,whole heads of garlic,potatoes,fresh corn on the cob,sweet potatoes but clean em real good,and I only use Louisiana seasoning and crab boil... seems to have a better taste when you use all the extras.I dont put all this at once,just whatever I feel like eating with my crawfish at the time.Sometimes I dont put anything!!!!!!

TRON

BulletToothTony
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Potatoes, corn, cheese dogs, sausage, johnsonville brats, mushrooms, onions, can of string beans and garlic. Can't wait to try this egg thing, sounds awesome!

Masonmedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something I use to do......AFTER the crawfish boil I would use the same water and then boil some green peanuts.It takes a while to boil them,but a few hours after the full belly has worn off its a welcome treat for round number 2.Throw them right there on the same picking table you was eating the crawfish on.Nothing better than some good spicy salty boiled peanuts and a cold beer!!

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    We have thrown in everything but the kitchen sink. Deer hind quarter is good, chickens stuffed in a nylon, pork roast, hot dogs, just to name a few. I believe a Red Wing boot would come out tasting good if boiled during a crab boil.

todbnla

Spendasauris
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Picayune, MS
    If you ever get down into the New Orleans area do yourself a favor and go to the Cast Net on Haynes Blvd and buy the powdered boil that they sell has everything you need in the container including the salt. All you do is add 10 gallons of water and the mudbugs or crabs. The best that I have ever found by far way better than Zatarains or Cajunland. I also buy a bottle of lemon oil concentrate and add a small dash to give that citrus flavor. Try it out and let me know what you think....

CAST NET has the best seasoning mix I think bar none, Kenny's (the owner) secret is Chinese Pepper, EVERYTHING they sell is good but the crawfish are excellent. They make killer LOAF po boys that are reasonable too, and much less than buying indviual sandwhichs if your feeding several folks, Excellent Seafood Market!

Masonmedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can also put in a can or 2 of corn......peel off the paper and just pop a few holes in.Wehn you pull the pot open it up with a can opener and put in some bowls.Great alternative if you dont wanna be picking corn out ya teeth or just in general

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    One time my uncle sprinkled cayenne pepper all over the outside of the cooked crawfish in the washtub. Talk about burn, but he said it was "an old Cajun tradition." Well, I recently worked on a book, Bayou Pigeon, LA - Spirit of the Atchafalaya, and I learned that was a trick the owner of "The End of the World" (a bar/restaurant) used to keep his customers buying beer while they were eating their crawfish. Lol, not going to tell the uncle, but he doesn't get boiling duty anymore.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    One time my uncle sprinkled cayenne pepper all over the outside of the cooked crawfish in the washtub. Talk about burn, but he said it was "an old Cajun tradition." Well, I recently worked on a book, Bayou Pigeon, LA - Spirit of the Atchafalaya, and I learned that was a trick the owner of "The End of the World" (a bar/restaurant) used to keep his customers buying beer while they were eating their crawfish. Lol, not going to tell the uncle, but he doesn't get boiling duty anymore.

Non-related post but thanks for bringing up that book, I wound up on the website and then onto the photo gallery. I'm fascinated by the old pictures from the 30's/40's. My grandfather, father and I used to fish Pigeon back when I was younger.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I can't add much to what hasn't been said except I like sweet potatoes (cut in half long way)

I was going to add this cept, cut into about 3 or 4 pieces the short way. It's surprisingly good.

Also, a bunch of butter is very good..... makes the meat slide right on out.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Non-related post but thanks for bringing up that book, I wound up on the website and then onto the photo gallery. I'm fascinated by the old pictures from the 30's/40's. My grandfather, father and I used to fish Pigeon back when I was younger.

That book is stocked with over 1,000 images! Tons of old b/w photos that you can't find anywhere else, including a lot of hunting and fishing photos. Like you, I'm also fascinated by old pics... find myself trying to imagine what life was like back in the day.

GordonLittle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    whole raw mushrooms in a cheap lingerie bag, link sausage, whole garlic cut across the cloves, whole onions and cut lemons. I've also taken canned corn, removed the label and poked holes in the can to drain the liquid, the tossed the can in so as not to burn one's lips during consumption.

when I boiled crabs once, we had also caught a couple sheephead and a small red while crabbing. I cut the filets off skin-on, and after the boil was rolling, I placed the filets skin side down on top of the crabs and covered the pot. it was the best fish I had eaten in a while. it was hard to tell it from lump crabmeat!

I take bit of sweet corn, garlic and mushroom in my lingerie bag. It is awesome dish to enjoy with family and friends.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom