What if a gun shop, . . .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Just batting around an idea.

What if a gun shop had an area set up with a couple of presses, and some lockers. Rent a locker for your components, and come and reload your own. That shop could also organize group buys of components, when available, at discount prices.

Say that shop had room for two benches. Perhaps four presses, ten lockers, . . .

I'm thinking aloud, but it's a bit more than a rhetorical question.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m betting there would soon be some sort of opposition from some source eventually. But yeah, I think that’s better than my 24 hour gun parts vending machine idea.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I guess my two initial thoughts are:
    1) That sounds like a lot of liablity.
    2) I wouldn't want to leave anything of mine in a gun-shop locker.

On an aside, how much does a typical reloading setup cost for 9mm? I really don't know. I'm wondering how "worth it" it would be fro an individual to use a gun-shop's equipment vs buying their own or going in with some buddies.

I also wonder how the gun shop would make sure people don't mess up the process in their store and either break the equipment or injure themselves.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I guess my two initial thoughts are:
    1) That sounds like a lot of liablity.
    2) I wouldn't want to leave anything of mine in a gun-shop locker.

On an aside, how much does a typical reloading setup cost for 9mm? I really don't know. I'm wondering how "worth it" it would be fro an individual to use a gun-shop's equipment vs buying their own or going in with some buddies.

I also wonder how the gun shop would make sure people don't mess up the process in their store and either break the equipment or injure themselves.

Any suggestions on how to limit those liabilities ? I'm all ears.

What would y'all like to see in a gun shop ?

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Think a little more out of the box than that.

What about a buying club. Limit overhead, members buy at a smaller mark up ?

I looked at doing this with a couple of Dillon 1050s and auto drives. Charge a membership fee and a usage fee.

The big problem is the liability - You could not do this as an ffl without an ammunition manufacturing and sales license - then you may have to collect tax.

After running the numbers it does not make financial sense - even with one machine.

You also need supervision to fulfill your liability and protect your machinery.

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    I'd rather New Orleans have a gunsmith with a positive national level reputation that is a full service machine shop and SOT.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    What about a buying club. Limit overhead, members buy at a smaller mark up ?

Isn't that what targetsportsUSA already does? Charge a small fee for being in a club and getting better than their already fair prices on their website. PLUS free shipping.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I see a lot of BS'ing going on and very little loading taking place.

My ''Ain't good enough 9mm reloads'' are running maybe 15 cents, I'm not a rich man.

I could encourage the BS'ing. Provide chairs. Coffee. Perhaps snacks. Would that be a good thing?

I'd rather New Orleans have a gunsmith with a positive national level reputation that is a full service machine shop and SOT.

There is a very real demand for a qualified gunsmith/machinist. Unfortunately I can barely get my own firearms back together. People are going to be sorry to see our gunsmithing services go, but they are going to go.

people would just be reloading at a bargan price and then re-selling them on this site for 3x as much... just saying :dogkeke:

Illegal activity would result in a banishment. Same with blatant safety issues.

Selling reloaded ammunition, without an FFL is a felony. The enforcement agents I know are some pretty tough hombres.

Sounds like a dream.

Sometimes, dreams can come true. There is, at least, an opportunity here.

Isn't that what targetsportsUSA already does? Charge a small fee for being in a club and getting better than their already fair prices on their website. PLUS free shipping.

I have some Googling to do. Thanks.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I could encourage the BS'ing. Provide chairs. Coffee. Perhaps snacks. Would that be a good thing?

There is a very real demand for a qualified gunsmith/machinist. Unfortunately I can barely get my own firearms back together. People are going to be sorry to see our gunsmithing services go, but they are going to go.

Illegal activity would result in a banishment. Same with blatant safety issues.

Selling reloaded ammunition, without an FFL is a felony. The enforcement agents I know are some pretty tough hombres.

Sometimes, dreams can come true. There is, at least, an opportunity here.

I have some Googling to do. Thanks.

Oh yeah,I'm a rookie reloader, No doubt someone could pick up a little more knowledge, Plus a decks of cards and a good table...not that I gamble or anything

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would like to see gun shops actually carry useful items to serious shooters, but now we’re getting into the whole profit margin and limited sales discussion.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Oh yeah,I'm a rookie reloader, No doubt someone could pick up a little more knowledge, Plus a decks of cards and a good table...not that I gamble or anything

I'm probably going to take the NRA Metallic Reloading courses to become an instructor.

I'd like to end up having weekend classes. That's a ways out though.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What kind of useful items that you don't currently see in shops?

I have yet to visit a local shop that sells USPSA/IPSC/IPDA cardboard, pasters, or even any sanctioned paper targets. It’s always the typical birchwood casey shoot-n-c or some random mini silhouette. I don’t recall even seeing a shop selling B-27’s unless they are connected to a range. Holsters, magazine carriers, and accessories are typically extremely limited.

Most shops cater to the casual shooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom