What if...slugshot?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Ok, I know I am posting a lot, but what with messing around with my new 870 my brain has got to ticking about shotgunning.

I reload cartridges, but not shotshells. I'd like to, but I can't afford to get different equipment, nor do I have the time or space, and I hardly shoot shotguns anyway.

I had a thought, though, while contemplating rifled slugs.

What if you were to load a shotshell with some .38 or .32 wadcutters, say stacking them up in whatever is the neatest configuration. Probably get 6 or so in there. Now, what if you were to meticulously rifle each one of these, or maybe just shoot them from a revolver into a very soft target (water tank or whatever) to get rifling on them without deformation.

Would these small rifled slugs perhaps perform better than buckshot at longer ranges?

Is there any reason why this would be retarded?

Sorry, I just have ideas. Maybe they're crazy...or maybe AWESOME?

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    There are several different types of exotic shotgun ammo, might be able to find something to suit your needs. The 12ga pitbull looks interesting:
    "Pure Power! The Pit Bull is a powerful 12 gauge round packed with six 00-Buck pellets topped with a heavy-duty 1.3 oz. slug! Loaded extra hot for MAXIMUM stopping power! Once it bites, it won’t let go. This is the number one rated ammo for home and self defense.
    Can Not Ship Ammo to Alaska, Florida, and Hawaii"

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Nah, Finals are over on Friday, I'm just procrastinating!

I know about multi-projectile .38 rounds. In fact, I posted about double ball loads a while back. Still trying to figure out exactly what I am going to attempt with that one.

RMc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Dixie Tri-Ball

Try Dixie Tri-Ball 12 buckshot from Dixie Slugs Co. Three hard cast .60 caliber buckshot pellets and ultra tight patterns at 40-50 yards with full choke guns.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The problem is that the goal of rifling is to get the projectile to spin going down the barrel- either from the twist of the barrel or the rifling on the slug fitting the barrel. Either way, the slugs have to fit the barrel. Three stacked projectiles might work, but not as well as a single. That almost brings up the old 'stack of dimes' idea...

Another idea might be to take a fosters slug and cut it into four interlocking pieces, looking at it from above... at least they would pick up spin.

Keep in mind that while experimenting with different loads is fun, don't try to use them as a defensive load. The jury will hang you!

Last edited:

RMc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Well:

The problem is that the goal of rifling is to get the projectile to spin going down the barrel- either from the twist of the barrel or the rifling on the slug fitting the barrel. Either way, the slugs have to fit the barrel. Three stacked projectiles might work, but not as well as a single. That almost brings up the old 'stack of dimes' idea...

Another idea might be to take a fosters slug and cut it into four interlocking pieces, looking at it from above... at least they would pick up spin.

Keep in mind that while experimenting with different loads is fun, don't try to use them as a defensive load. The jury will hang you!

Smoothbore slugs depend on weigh forward design to remain stable. Slugs designed for rifled barrels are simply bullets (bore diameter or sabot) designed for a low pressure .73 caliber rifle that we call a 12 gauge.

Stacked large hard cast lead buckshot have proven tight patterning ability and are available in factory ammo - definitely not experimental designs.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom