What is most potent .38 ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I have a Taurus model 85 stainless .38 special, NOT +P rated. What would be the most potent round (off the shelf commercial ammo) I could load in it for personal defense without causing any structural damage to the firearm. I recently bought a box of Remington 130 grain; they have a slight taper to a smaller flatpoint.

Would a 158 grain SWC be good? Thanks

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Myself, I would recommend Hornady TAP with the 158gr XTP/HP. I've been reloading with the 158gr XTP/HP's since they first came out and I read a FBI ballistics test on them way back in the early '90s.

Screaming Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Heel of the Boot
    I think you've made a good choice. Wadcutters are nasty to shoot, but they're cheaper and they mushroom up something awful to create a really ugly hole. For that gun, I'd say you've made a good choice. Even the cheapo LRN ammo that's out there would work. 158gr wadcutters work too.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    Other than the 135gr Gold Dot [which is +P], nothing expands well out of the snubbies.

A 148gr wadcutter is gentle in the recoil department, meets IWBA desiderata and cuts a larger wound channel than any other profile. When I last carried a J-frame on a regular basis Fuzzy Fletcher was offering Jimmy Cirillo's SafeStop ammo. That's what I used, but Jim is dead, Fuzzy isn't selling SafeStop anymore and none of the small ammo vendors were interested in it.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    You guys are making too much of this. We're talking about a belly gun, for Pete's sake.

As noted above, the only current factory load "optimized" for a snubby is the 135gr Gold Dot. By optimized, I mean that it is loaded with a special canister powder which burns completely in two inches. The old Federal 125gr NyClad was similar, but has been out of print for some time.

And all this means is that muzzle flash and blast is reduced, since all of the powder is consumed before the bullet exits the muzzle. All muzzle flash consists of is unburned powder being ejected and "flashing" when it leaves the barrel.

IOW, you can jack up the powder charge all you want; but only so much of it is going to "burn" in two inches, and the rest is wasted. If you don't believe this, shoot a standard .38+P and then a .357 out of a Ti-Scan S&W Chief, over a chronograph. You'll get MAYBE another 150-200 fps from the .357; at the cost of a virtually uncontrollable launch platform.

And always keep in mind that there is NO such thing as a magic bullet. At the relatively slow velocities you get from a snubby, just about anything will do. The Gold Dots have an extraordinarily large cavity, and therefore might, MIGHT, provide a bit more expansion due to hydrostatic effects.

The old standby, a 158gr SWC soft lead hollowpoint at around 800fps or so, will do the job if you do yours. You can spend big bucks on exotic ammo if you want; but if you think you're going to get any markedly superior performance out of a snubby with it, guess again... ;)

It didn't even click to me about a snub nose. And it should, my wife has a Mod. 85CH snub. In that case, 158gr for WC/SWC/RN/FP and 125gr HDY XTP for hollow points. In my most humble opinion, of course! ;)

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    This is what I like about this forum. Good information explained in practicle terms. One more question. My wife has a Taurus snubby 85 titanium. What low recoil load would you suggest. She bitches about recoil. Among other things. :rolleyes:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    "Low recoil" is subjective.

This a multi-faceted topic, with a scope far beyond the reach of your typical armchair commando magazine article or "test".

The first thing you want is a standard pressure (non +P) cartridge. Second, you want to give her every edge, and while in the real world bullet shape at snubby velocities really doesn't matter, it COULD... depending on where she hits the bad guy, how he's dressed, etc. So we want a SWC bullet.

In a standard velocity load, don't waste time with a hollow point. The prime desiderata is penetration, and a hollow point and 750 or less fps just will not reliably expand, plus it will be "slowed down" by what expansion does occur; i.e., less penetration.

The next criteria is mass; we want the heaviest bullet we can get. Penetration requires both velocity and mass. We already know we're NOT going to get the velocity we need from a snubby (especially with a standard pressure loading), so the next best thing is mass. A cast 200gr SWC, over three grains of 231, is great... if you reload and know where to find that odd-ball bullet. I do both, but the truth is that what little bit of advantage this combination MIGHT give out of a snubby simply isn't worth the effort to me. I 'm perfectly happy with issue factory offerings. I was quite pissed when Federal dropped that 125gr NyClad load; I worked two shootings involving it, and it performed quite well (for a .38). I have no doubt the Gold Dot load will do as good or better. But there's that recoil factor you're trying to avoid...

I know that Remington still makes a 158gr solid SWC standard pressure load. I would be surprised if Winchester, Federal, and CCI/Speer don't. You're going to have to bite the bullet, so to speak, and spend some bucks on different offerings until you find one she can live with.

As a last resort, you could try a 148gr target wadcutter load. If THAT bothers her, take the gun away from her, or get her a .22. However, you're walking a thin edge here. To say that this loading is marginal would be stretching the term to its elastic limits.

There are two immutable facts concerning snub-nosed lightweight revolvers; they are delightful carry pieces, and they are distinctly unpleasant to shoot.

No free lunch... :(

For personal carry I have it loaded with Gold Dot's +P. I guess you summed it up best "delightful to carry, unpleasant to shoot" If she can't work through it I'll get her something else and keep it for myself.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Ya think???

I think some one needs more range time.

I expect a snub nose titanium to have a good degree of recoil. But you really don't know the degree until you actually shoot it. The whole point of my post was to try to find a possible ammo solution for the pistol. Not to drum up nonproductive smart ass comments like yours.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Not being a smart ass - Ti guns are for serious enthusiasts, not women who are against recoil.

She wanted something light weight. These guns are marketed, at least by some gun stores, as great for women. They are not. To make a long story short it was bought from a local gun store two days after Katrina when things were crazy and there was a run on guns. The line to purchase a pistol went out the front door and selection was not the best. If I had time (and electricity) to research revolvers and a good stock selection I would have made another purchase. Worst case it will be my personal carry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom