What is your income percentage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I don't think these numbers are categorized correctly. The truth of the chart shows just how BAD the economy is and how POOR we are really doing.

Just more Psy-Ops to make us forget how poor we are REALLY doing.

Point taken.

I'd like to see what the $ amts were, inflation adjusted, for the last 5, 10, 15, 20 yrs.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bottom 20%! Hell yes! Go college students and part time jobs!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The wife and I combined would be a top 3% of america... Not sure how accurate that is, figured a 3%'er would make 300k as a single income and 1% would be 500k....

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm not too surprised.

That's a good link and does put it into perspective. Then again...think about the Wall Street bankers....earning 40 or 50 million a year....and paying a lower tax rate because they are taxed at a capital gains rate while someone earning 300k gets hit with a 35% rate. Its BS IMO. Their job is investing....yet they don't get taxed like its a job.

By and large...the middle class has been getting screwed for decades. Wages have been stagnant for 40 years. The Fed considers inflation to be almost zero...like 1%

Then again....they exclude fuel and food. The 2 things needed to live...food and heating one's house or filling your tank aren't included.

..and not to disrupt the thread....this is income. Its not the same as Net Worth.

So....someone in the top 1% earning 400,000.00 a year could still be in the bottom 20% of the population of the wealth catagory if they are living beyond their means...and in debt up to their eyeballs.

======

On another note...here's another link that has some real intersting stuff about taxes and income.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivity_in_United_States_income_tax

Tax burden by income bracket
    The Congressional Budget Office breaks down the 2007 share of the tax burden according to each segment of the population as follows:[14]

The highest quintile in total earned 55.9% of all income. It paid 86.0% of federal income taxes and 68.9% of all federal taxes
    The top 1% earned 19.4% of all income. It paid 39.5% of income taxes and 28.1% of all federal taxes
    The next 4% earned 12.9% of income. It paid 21.5%. of income taxes and 16.2% of all federal taxes
    The next 5% earned 9.7% of income. It paid 11.7% of income taxes and 10.7% of all federal taxes
    The next 10% earned 13.9% of income. It paid 13.3% of income taxes and 13.9% of all federal taxes.

The fourth quintile earned 19.3% of income. It paid 12.7% of income taxes and 16.5 of all federal taxes.
    The third quintile earned 13.1% of income. It paid 4.6% of income taxes and 9.2% of all federal taxes.
    The second quintile earned 8.4%. It paid a net -0.3% of income taxes, meaning in aggregate this quintile received slightly more back in income tax credits than it paid in income taxes. It paid 4.4% of all federal taxes.
    The lowest quintile earned 4.0% of all income and received a net -3.0% income tax credits. It paid 1.0% of all federal taxes.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    The wife and I combined would be a top 3% of america... Not sure how accurate that is, figured a 3%'er would make 300k as a single income and 1% would be 500k....

Theres so few people making 1/2 mil in this country... 1% is 3.5 million people.

Not that many brain surgeons and Bill Gates....

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Theres so few people making 1/2 mil in this country... 1% is 3.5 million people.

Not that many brain surgeons and Bill Gates....

1/2 mil isn't all that hard to achieve if you put your mind to it and play smart. I have a few friends in that category. Getting there is what's hard. Have to put the rest of life on hold for a few.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    1/2 mil isn't all that hard to achieve if you put your mind to it and play smart. I have a few friends in that category. Getting there is what's hard. Have to put the rest of life on hold for a few.

Yep...you are correct. It takes a ton of hard work...a little bit of luck...the right timing...and pretty big balls, because most people had to risk it all to get there. Especially small business people who started with one location and then branched out with multiple locations.
    It also helps if you have access to credit...the ability to borrow. And that means you must have good credit plus some assets.
    But...it can happen to almost anyone in America. And there are very few countries where that can be said. Hell....in most of the world...one can not even get a mortgage for buying a house. In many countries south of the border....one would pay something like a 20% interest rate for a simple mortgage on your house.

And thats for a house. FORGET about getting a loan for a business. This is what sets America apart from the rest of the world. Its our banking system. Unfortunately....most people don't really realize how fortunate they are when they are earning 500k a year. They just don't get it.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Initially I calculated my income from our clinic only and my taxable income/profits was 3%. When I threw in our earnings from real estate it kicked us up to 1% for Louisiana. I surely do not feel in that category.

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    It's not how much you make, but how much you keep! Access to money is soooooo easy thats why we are all in debt!

I think talking about how much you make is like asking how much sex you have with your wife.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom