What made you decide to become a policeman?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I've been thinking about it for several years, but I've been thinking about it a lot more lately. I would like to hear from you guys what led you, personally, to take the oath and put on the badge.

I believe I have the right kind of mind and attitude to make a good officer, and I really like the idea of helping, protecting, and serving the community.

Up until recently, I didn't feel that I was quite mature enough for it, honestly, but that has changed in the last year or so (...guess I'm a late bloomer).

Add that to the fact that college isn't going as well as I need it to be, and the fact that I desperately need a better job.

I feel like the time has come to take a closer and more detailed look at law enforcement as a career path.

Any info, thoughts, or advice you guys care to share will be appreciated.

-Nathan.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I would advise you to continue college while working as an LEO, even if either one is part-time. Having a college degree will take you far in that field.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Oh, I'm not quitting or giving up on college, but I can't afford more classes right now. I'm not making nearly enough money right now to cover living expenses and school expenses, and unfortunately tuition has to take a back seat when it comes to rent and groceries.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'm not an LEO, but I can give you an opinion based on what I read on the net.

Well, what I discovered about that is.... when an LEO does something good, very, very few people make note of it. They say its "part of their job". However, when people have something negative to say about LE or when an LEO does something bad, its all over the media and the 'net.

Very, very misleading.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Become a local reserve officer before you decide to take the leap. Becoming a reserve allows you to basically do the exact same job as a full time officer, but on your own time for no pay.

You may not be cut out to be an officer, not everyone is. You may decide its the like they used to say about the Peace Corps, the toughest job you'll ever love.

For me, I wanted to be an LEO from a young age and follow in my father's footsteps. A lot of guys are just following family tradition.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Family tradition for me also. It's not like tv, you spend more time on family arguments and kids not listening to their parents than anything exciting. But when the exciting stuff happens its all worth it. Just some advice, don't think you are gonna arrest all the criminals or save the world, you will be quite disappointed.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Thanks for reminding me motor51. I don't want you guys to think I have fantasies about what it will be like. I'm not expecting TV car chases or novel murder mysteries (super troopers, maybe...).

What I am is tired of working meaningless crap jobs where I barely make enough money to survive. It would also be nice to have a job I can be proud to tell people about. I know I'm not going to save the world, but I do want to try to make it a little better. Enjoyment would be a plus, too.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Lots of dangerous work, for very little positive recognition.

But seriously, for me it was to actually give my life meaning. I've worked in retail, I've been a professional extreme sport athlete, I've worked on a fishing boat, but nothing has felt gratifying at the end of the day like coming home after 13-14 hours up all night knowing I've made a positive difference on SOMEONE.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Apparently, my parents wanted me to be a cop. They let me stay up later than my older sister before I entered kindergarten, watching Columbo, Kojak, Beretta, Starsky & Hutch, CHiPs, The Rookies, etc. Then they bought me lots of toy guns, walkie-talkies, a CHiPs playset, noise-making/light-flashing toy police cars, etc. (seriously, every old Christmas or birthday photo or slide has me with some sort of toy like that). Then they encouraged me to join any uniformed outfit they could find such as Cub Scouts, School Crossing Safety Patrol (even came with a tin badge), NJROTC, and The Marine Corps. I don't think I ever really had a say in it.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Lots of dangerous work, for very little positive recognition.

But seriously, for me it was to actually give my life meaning. I've worked in retail, I've been a professional extreme sport athlete, I've worked on a fishing boat, but nothing has felt gratifying at the end of the day like coming home after 13-14 hours up all night knowing I've made a positive difference on SOMEONE.

That is exactly what I am hoping for. Well, minus the "very little positive recognition", but I am already expecting that. I don't need others to praise me for what I do, I just need to know that I did it well and be proud of myself at the end of the day.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well for me it was just the hope of wanting to bang married chicks, in dark parking lots. I mean I have such teh urge to do so. So since that is fairly common in ALL police departments right? right!, I figured it'd be right up my alley.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well for me it was just the hope of wanting to bang married chicks, in dark parking lots. I mean I have such teh urge to do so. So since that is fairly common in ALL police departments right? right!, I figured it'd be right up my alley.

There you go giving away all the perks of the job. They already know about the discounts.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    There you go giving away all the perks of the job. They already know about the discounts.

Sorry brother, I just could not resist that one :mamoru:

smiley_salute.gif

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Honestly there's a difference between how police talk about their careers with outsiders, and how they talk about it among themselves. Among themselves, at least where I'm at, we talk about it like we're serving prison sentences. Everyone is counting down the years to their freedom when they can get the hell out and collect their retirement checks. The sad thing is most of us won't even live beyond a couple years into retirement, if we make it that far. Granted, morale around where I work is also the lowest it has ever been in the last few decades, or so I'm told. Maybe it's not like that in other places. But then again, I haven't seen too many other careers where there are books specifically designed to help the employees cope with their careers without committing suicide.

Anyway, it's a job like any other and unlike any other. You won't save the world and most of what you do consists of dealing with other peoples' ******** because they are too weak to handle their own business, throw in alot of clerical work and bureaucracy frustrations and you've got your average workday. But add in the fact that you can have a hell of a lot fun in between all of that, and maybe every now and then you might do something that really makes you feel good about yourself.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom