What optics do you guys have on your AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not to hijack this but I see two of the guys that KNOW BETTER, recommend Millet optics

My experience with them is very limited and I have only use a Millet TRS a hand full of times

Are they good ??????/ I have an Alexander Arms 6.5 that could use a little love but I def dont want to spend $400+ for the amount of use it will see

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Pablo, I have 3 AR's. One wears irons, the other two have the Milletts on top. Would I prefer USO, NF, Burris, or the high-end Vortex? You bet! In my opinion, the DMS is hard to beat for the money.

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    Primary Arms M3. I just dont shoot enough to justify spending the money on a better optic.

IMG_1731.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I just got this Rock River today in a trade ( my first AR )...since me with irons is useless I'm putting this Vortex on till I can do something else

My Question is...will it work

I can sight and see fine with almost no interference from the front sight block...but , well... will it work ??

Have not fired it yet.

If not tell me soon so I can delete :exnbp:

2312007.jpg
    [/IMG]

It's definitely not something I would stake my life on, but if you want a plinker, use it until the adjustments aren't repeatable or it loses zero for the first time and then throw it out in favor of something better.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I went with a comp M4S, after dabbling with low-magnification ACOG's (1.5's). I think the M4 carbine is a 0-300 yard rifle, and I treat it as such.

Can it work further away? Sure, and people poach deer with a .22LR all the time, neither is optimal.

Weapon matched to mission is the key IMO. I plan on using mine for hogs out to 300 yards, or self-defense. To me, a low-magnification or 1X optic does it. A 1-4X variable of good quality would be fine, too, except it weighs 200% more than my Comp M4S.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    It's definitely not something I would stake my life on, but if you want a plinker, use it until the adjustments aren't repeatable or it loses zero for the first time and then throw it out in favor of something better.

haha...I swear

just didn't have anything else around here...

I really ain't trollin this, I am 100 % green on AR's...guy just wanted to trade an AK for this so here it is.

Sorry if I'm hijakn y'all

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    haha...I swear

just didn't have anything else around here...

I really ain't trollin this, I am 100 % green on AR's...guy just wanted to trade an AK for this so here it is.

Sorry if I'm hijakn y'all
    cheap is cheap, dad bought an Olympic for $500 with a cheap rds once. Total low quality weapon, but its a fun, cheap plinker bought at a fair price.

lilrogak47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    baton rouge, la
    Eotech EXPS2-0, buy itself for now, but magnifier on filp mount possibly to come. Just haven't decided on what magnifier to go with, or if im willing to add the extra weight/bulk. I would like to at least try the setup though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

ngrani3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The more and more I look, the more confused I get!!! At first I was dead set on the 4 x 32 ACOG, just for the sake of having an ACOG. The main use for it will be plinking out to 100 yds, but this will be my pig gun as well... I have also tossed around the idea of the Trijicon Accupoint in a 2.5-10. There are too many options as far as optics are concerned!!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The more and more I look, the more confused I get!!! At first I was dead set on the 4 x 32 ACOG, just for the sake of having an ACOG. The main use for it will be plinking out to 100 yds, but this will be my pig gun as well... I have also tossed around the idea of the Trijicon Accupoint in a 2.5-10. There are too many options as far as optics are concerned!!

Well, is 100 yards and a pig as far a target, and as small a target as you have in mind? How is your vision?

What works for me, works for Vanilla Gorilla, works for Speedracer, may not work for you. Or vice-versa.

I tried to like the 3.5 and 4X ACOG's, but they do nothing well, everything mediocre. If you want to do all things well, get a 1-4 or 6X variable.
    If you want to do up-close well, get a mini-acog (1.5X) or an Eotech or an Aimpoint.
    If you want to do far away well, get a 6.5-20X or something.

just my .02. I tried to "roll it all into one" without a budget and still met with failure. Had I been willing to live with a 1.5 pound setup, the S&B Shortdot would have been THE! way to go. As it is, my 12oz M4S w/mount is feeling right about the cusp of maximum weight I am willing to endure on an M4 carbine for the optic.

ngrani3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Well, is 100 yards and a pig as far a target, and as small a target as you have in mind? How is your vision?

What works for me, works for Vanilla Gorilla, works for Speedracer, may not work for you. Or vice-versa.

I tried to like the 3.5 and 4X ACOG's, but they do nothing well, everything mediocre. If you want to do all things well, get a 1-4 or 6X variable.
    If you want to do up-close well, get a mini-acog (1.5X) or an Eotech or an Aimpoint.
    If you want to do far away well, get a 6.5-20X or something.

just my .02. I tried to "roll it all into one" without a budget and still met with failure. Had I been willing to live with a 1.5 pound setup, the S&B Shortdot would have been THE! way to go. As it is, my 12oz M4S w/mount is feeling right about the cusp of maximum weight I am willing to endure on an M4 carbine for the optic.

I wouldn't be shooting anything more than 300 yards in a hunting situation. For kicks I'd like to shoot 4 - 500, but just for kicks. I guess I was trying to get the all in one as well, but the more and more I read the less likely that is going to happen. Thanks for the input!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I wouldn't be shooting anything more than 300 yards in a hunting situation. For kicks I'd like to shoot 4 - 500, but just for kicks. I guess I was trying to get the all in one as well, but the more and more I read the less likely that is going to happen. Thanks for the input!

It won't happen...and if it does, it will be more weight than I personally was okay with.

About the closest I have seen to a "do all" is an ACOG with an offset mount T1. Was reasonably weighted, but still not optimal. I really think you will either end up with a "do all" gun that looks good on paper and sucks in real life (which is what I ended up with at first.), or a more specialized (0-200-ish yards, or 1-500 yards, etc.) rifle that kicks ass at the mission it was built for. The Elcan looks pretty good, but at a pound and a half, it can make a carbine seriously fat, especially if you are also hanging 1# of suppressor on it like I am. Since you may not be, you might can absorb more scope than I was comfortable with.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    With the aimpoint T-1 weighing only 6 ounces with the Larue Tall mount, it makes any of the variable optics look and feel horribly heavy in comparison.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom