What rings & bases to go with for 10FP?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I've got a 10FP on the way, I'm deciding between a few scopes but I have no clue what rings & bases to go with. This is just going to be a target/hunting rifle so I don't need any $300 rings and bases but I'd like something that's decent. Any suggestions?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    You need to know what scope you are getting so you know what size rings 1" or 30mm or the most common sizes.

Avoid a two piece base I'm sure others will disagree
    the reason is that you have the potential to set your bases at different heights therefore tweaking your scope.

I went with Farrell rings and bases which are overkill

Maybe some burris rings and a farrell base. Are you going with flat base or 20moa base?

I went with the new Bushnell Tactical just got it yesterday. Budsgunshop.com has it the cheapest. I am not sure how the field of view for hunting is going to be.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I plan on using either a Burris Fullfield II or a Mueller APV, both of which are 1" tubes. :cool:

Thanks for the info! I thought about a 1 piece but I just don't know. the 1 piece on my 110 makes it a little more difficult to load since it's a blind magazine.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Is it a new FP? I havent heard of anyone having issues loading with the new round top shorts with one piece bases. I am going to have to go load my rifle to see. Maybe try savageshooters.com.

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    I was looking at the Warne 20MOA but I found on the Savage site they have some Farrells for about 1/3 the price ($50) Farrell sells them for. Not sure if they are 20 MOA or 0 MOA. Going to try and call them tomorrow and see.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The only complaint I have with the Farrells are they are high bases. I have a 15 moa base with their standard rings on a 6-24x50 and still have about 1/4" before it would touch the barrell. It doesn't really bother me. Ken is a hell of a good guy. I had 1" rings for an old scope and needed 30mm for my new so he said send them in with $10 to cover shipping so I did. Then I realize that my 20moa base has too much cant in it for my new scope so he says send it back with $6 to cover shipping so now I have what I need and my mistakes trying to put my rifle together only cost me an extra $16 for the base and rings. Granted I lost about $150 switching scopes.

Keep in mine that his stuff is weaver style not pictanny/mil-spec whatever that means. Doesn't bother me. You know what I would like to see is someone do a test to see at what PSI rings will fail or crush just so we can figure out which ones or the best none of this ford vs chevy crap; because we all know Honda wins that arguement anyway.

Last edited:

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    The scope I will be using to start off with is a cheap one but just wanted to get a set of rings and base one time, if possible. I like the TPS tings at Big River tactical.

I really don't need 20MOA now, but in the future I will.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom