What should I do with my stocks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Right now I've have some stock in a small biotech co, a small coal co, and 2 ETFs that short financials and real estate. The 2 companies are a high risk/reward type thing, and I have the shorts because I think things are going to get worse. What I'm concerned with is the deferred compensation program I have at work. Every paycheck a little is automatically taken out direction and invested in funds of my choosing. This isn't my retirement. It just allows me to invest in stocks pre-taxes. So far, since I've begun working where I am, I'm up 27%. Should I just pull out the funds I do have now and stop putting into the program? The future is uncertain, and I'd rather not go back into the red.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Check and see if you can somehow flip it within the same company for example being able to invest on a low gain secure deal this way you dont have to pay and you are still making money off from it and your risk of loosing is minimum.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Companies will expect to gain 3.5 % more jobs this yer than previous..

If you have stock in companies that gamble on it getting worse than you might lose..

I wouldnt put it in a shrimp business right now, or BP for that matter..

If you can roll it to a deferred IRA I would.. but where from there? Maybe healthcare since they are the only ones who seem to be getting raises above 3 % annually

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Isn't unemployment still increasing? The problems haven't been fixed. Europe is getting worse every day, and what happens over there affects us. I don't see it getting anything but worse. The question is when.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    BP could be the perfect investment for somebody who likes to take a HIGH risk, if their market value drops to dirt after all the issues it would be the perfect time to buy and let it grow back up and sell at that time, they will never go broke if anything they will split, just a thought.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I re-allocated my investments. I split them between the highest returning high risk fund, which also had the biggest differential between loses in 2008 and gains in 2009, and a more conservative fund. I was in 3 higher risk funds before.
    The high risk fund is in emerging markets... mostly foreign companies. The more conservative fund is a large cap fund with some American companies in it.

Last edited:

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    BP could be the perfect investment for somebody who likes to take a HIGH risk, if their market value drops to dirt after all the issues it would be the perfect time to buy and let it grow back up and sell at that time, they will never go broke if anything they will split, just a thought.

I was just about to say this. When It drops to dirt buy. They will recover.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just transferred my balance to a fixed income fund, which is supposed to not have direct ties to the stock market and has a return rate of 3.75%. I think that's the best I can do for now. Just trying to cut my losses as best as I can.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Buy Low Sell High, best advice for free here on BS

I should try that. I'll let you know how it works out.
    :rofl:

Apple and Microsoft have been very good to me. I wish I would have bought Google when it was $60/share.

I have problems with certain corporate donations of MS. Apple has shot up from a year ago - but I sold mine when it was bouncing up and down around $100. :doh: I swear I have the worst luck. I could be sitting on ~$60K or so right now if I had kept CTIC and sold my 20k shares at $3 (I bought them at $.10) :doh::doh:
    I'm just playing it safe now. I don't know what the immediate future holds, so I don't feel like gambling with my luck. The long term is most definitely bad, so my luck won't bite me there.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The only actual stocks I own now are a small biotech co (high risk, high reward) and two funds that short the financial and real estate markets (they go up when the market goes down).

Top Bottom