What tips would you give a first time shooter?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Target Sports USA

Industry Partner
    Nov 22, 2022

323MAR

Silver Member
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The most helpful part of that article is the part about starting with a .22 pistol. I think the most important suggestion is to go to a range that offers multiple classes and start with their basic beginner class. Building basic skills with a .22 should happen after the basic class. The instructor that you started this journey with should be able to guide you the rest of the way.
    My instructor was Mr Ray Bear at the old St Bernard Indoor when I was a teenager. During the course of his 3 classes and weekly trips to the range he set me on course for a lifetime of safe and fun shooting.

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    When I was coming up my dad would let me shoot whatever I wanted to as long as I was safe and his belt was the notification that I was messing up. I got good quick lol.

Shooterbill

Feb 13, 2024
    St James
    My suggestions are to find a firearm that feels comfortable to you. A rifle with a stock that's too long or a pistol you can't get a good grip on or easily reach the controls will distract you from learning the fundamentals and even pose a safety issue. A good fit for a pistol would feel relaxed and natural like you were pointing your finger at something. If possible start with a .22 caliber gun. The low recoil and reduced muzzle blast will help reduce flinching. Other benefits of shooting a .22 are the ammunition is a lot cheaper and because of it's light weight you'll develop good skills becoming accurate with it.
    The great thing about shooting sports is that they level the playing field. A 105 pound housewife can compete against a 200 pound career Marine, some sports can accommodate people with handicaps. There are junior shooting programs and team event sports.
    With proper training shooting can be a safe hobby you can enjoy as a family. Unfortunately I have no advice on what to do if your wife or kid out shoots you.

guardcore80

Dec 20, 2023
    New Orleans
    Fundamentals. Breathing, positioning, target acquisition, sight alignment, trigger squeeze. Practice, practice, practice.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Muzzle discipline above all else.

I’ve helped more than a handful of new shooters from ages 5-70. Obviously we go over safety protocol, but I always ask them what are their expectations. What do you think will happen? Are you nervous/anxious about anything? Then I do my absolute best to explain and show them exactly what will happen and how the process will unfold.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Feb 20, 2013
    1. Be comfortable with the weapon BEFORE you go to the range to shoot. MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE AND UNLOADED - STORE ALL AMMO IN ANOTHER LOCATION! Handle it, Know what everything does. Insert a mag, drop the mag, lock the slide back, release it forward, put safety on, take it off....etc, etc until you are comfortable with how things work. You don't want to try to learn this while others are shooting around you. Get comfortable with the handgun (semi or revolver) or rifle before you head out.
    2. Practice safety - do not muzzle sweep anyone under any circumstances EVEN if you know the weapon is unloaded! It just makes things better!
    3. Wear appropriate clothing! A hot casing will end up down your shirt and in a sandal. SO don't let that happen!
    4. Headphones with the ability to amplify voice but mute gun noise!
    5. Eye protection.
    6. Attitude - be safe and have fun - relax. Being tense and nervous is a recipie for bad decisions.
    7. Respect other shooters - (see #2 above)
    8. Clean up after yourself when you are done.
    9. Plan your next visit to the range!!

Last edited:
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    The most helpful part of that article is the part about starting with a .22 pistol. I think the most important suggestion is to go to a range that offers multiple classes and start with their basic beginner class. Building basic skills with a .22 should happen after the basic class. The instructor that you started this journey with should be able to guide you the rest of the way.
    My instructor was Mr Ray Bear at the old St Bernard Indoor when I was a teenager. During the course of his 3 classes and weekly trips to the range he set me on course for a lifetime of safe and fun shooting.
    I remember Ray from when I shot Steel Challenge and PPC at St Benard Indoor around '87-'90. Nice guy and very helpful. Hope he's still around.

NAHMINT

semi auto
    Finger OFF the trigger and muzzle pointed in a safe direction.......
    unlike our commie PRIME MINISTER says, we folks, north of the MEDICINE LINE do own and shoot hand guns......
    Don't start with a semi-auto of any description....pistol or long gun.
    leave the .410 shotgun to folks who know their limits........
    I started shooting rats with an old .22 single shot with GRANDAD and GRANNY...
    I was set loose before 10 years old with 3 rounds to shoot ruff grouse / snowshoe rabbit..we lived in the bush........no running water or electricity..........
    coming home ,My ammo / game HAD to equal 3 OR next trip, I could be hunting with only 1 or 2 rounds.....
    today, I'm 76+ we shoot all types of firearms....my 42 year old daughter just passed her Canadian firearms RESTRICTED course for handguns and semi-auto (ASAULT style) rifles..........
    p.s., those rats were NOT table fare, they were vermin after GRANDADS pegions............................

hotbiggun

May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Im going to echo what others have said. Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
    I dont know how many times ive had the muzzle swept in my direction. Kids and parents do this.

I dont know about you guys but the NRA came to our school and taught us basic firearm saftety in the 4th grade. This needs to happen again.

andmess14

Apr 22, 2016
    Houma, LA
    I recommend finding a solid instructor in your area; preferably before purchasing your first handgun. As an instructor, about 15% of students come to class that isn’t right for them at the time or they are not willing to put the time in to be able to handle it.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    A cardinal rule of marksmanship is "Fast is smooth and smooth is fast."In other words, shoot only as fast as you can hit the target and let speed come naturally.

Top Bottom