What would you choose?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you choose?

• Marlin

Votes: 7 33.3%
    • Savage

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Let's say an obscure relative passed and you get a choice, which do you pick...

Late seventies Marlin 336c 30/30 very good condition one ding in blue on receiver, no safety, JM barrel stamp walnut furniture, checked out the Marlin sites and it's one of the one's they covet. Locally it's maybe a 300$ gun but in Lever action country they bring 400-450$

Or....

Savage 242c over and under .410 about the same vintage in great shape, case color hardened receiver, book value is slightly more around 350-425$ but apparently these Savage's especially the pretty rare .410 over .410 have some kinda cult following with the preppers/survivalist's I found pricing from 500-900$ on the interwebz...

I have no personal attachment to either just wanted to see what you all would do.I may end up selling whichever I pick so that is a factor.
    I like them both, If I had to guess they seem to both be youth hunting guns,...I don't hunt so that doesn't play into my decision.
    Any input is appreciated. T

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've seen a million lever actions - even had a rusted one in the back of my car for the longest time.

I've never seen a shotgun like that. I'd buy it just on the odd/cool factor.

Pick the shotgun - it's weird.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I've seen a million lever actions - even had a rusted one in the back of my car for the longest time.

I've never seen a shotgun like that. I'd buy it just on the odd/cool factor.

Pick the shotgun - it's weird.

Scariest part of this is that exact thought has crossed my mind, it's part of the reason for this post....
    Quickdraw.........Still got that TEC and the hot girlfiend? If ya lost one let's hope it was the TEC.....

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Rabbit ears.

ETA: Looked like a side by side at first glance.

I'd still take the shotgun. That's just cool.

Yeah JC it's a weird/cool gun Both barrels are full choke, I shot six rounds thru it, it throws a tight pattern. It just has to be a freaking bad ass squirrel gun. Bird's too I reckon.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I am not drawn towards either.
    I'd never buy either.
    If I had the choice I'd take the OU because its odd.
    I'd never sell a gun passed onto me.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I am not drawn towards either.
    I'd never buy either.
    If I had the choice I'd take the OU because its odd.
    I'd never sell a gun passed onto me.

If you knew the circumstances you would, the theoretical circumstances are made up to create a short description as to the situation I have. It is a simple fiction to explain a complicated story no one died. The super short story,... I get to pick one of these.....

Last edited:

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    I would choose the savage 242,because you dont see those as often as you do the marlins,(or thats how it is in my case anyway).

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    From Wickipedia
    "The Model 336 is ranked the #2 all-time leader in U.S. high-powered sporting rifle sales, after the Winchester Model 1894.[5] Since 1948, over 6 million Model 336 rifles have been produced".

I think pretty much everyone owned a 336 when i was growing up back in the 70's-80's. I know I did.
    The Savage is rare and it's definitely unique.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    From Wickipedia
    "The Model 336 is ranked the #2 all-time leader in U.S. high-powered sporting rifle sales, after the Winchester Model 1894.[5] Since 1948, over 6 million Model 336 rifles have been produced".

I think pretty much everyone owned a 336 when i was growing up back in the 70's-80's. I know I did.
    The Savage is rare and it's definitely unique.

That Is a VERY well made point!

Top Bottom