Whats a good inexpensive 1911 single stack mag?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I'm going to be in the market for some 1911 mags and this platform is somewhat new to me. I've never owned one till now, but I've shot many different brands and configurations of them. So I figured I would ask those who have the experience, what's a good inexpensive 1911 mag? I see the Mec gar for around $20, Kimber brand for $22-25. I'm hesitant about Promag and such. What do y'all recommend?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I bought Metal Form. Thet used to and still make them for Colt. Thet also made them for Kimber.
    The 9mm ones i bought last time were 100 percent the same. Was clearly Same company's mags.
    They were also only good source for Colt ACE mags other than originals.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    RTG parts has a good selection of Mec-Gar
    Wilson and Chip MC, I like to get the ones that have a bumper pad unless you want the fit-flush type.

Grosbec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2022
    White Castle
    I'm going to be in the market for some 1911 mags and this platform is somewhat new to me. I've never owned one till now, but I've shot many different brands and configurations of them. So I figured I would ask those who have the experience, what's a good inexpensive 1911 mag? I see the Mec gar for around $20, Kimber brand for $22-25. I'm hesitant about Promag and such. What do y'all recommend?
    I’ e owned (6) 1911’a over the years it’s really hard to beat the Mec gar mags for the price. Better than factory stuff for sure.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    OK great guy, Thanks for the info. I've always heard about Chip McCormick mags for 1911's was the way to go, but I always shop for a deal on the good stuff. I'll make me an order soon. I will definitely order 4-5 at least as this isn't going to be my only 1911 I will own in my life. Like AR's, one just isn't enough!

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Another vote for Wilson Combat, but you can't go wrong with McCormick, Mec-Gar, or Tripp mags. I picked up a handful of used Kimber mags for the range recently from Ebay for a steal, and they all functioned flawlessly.

@Jstudz220 is right, don't skimp on mags, especially if you're going to be carrying them. I use a paint pen, and a series of dots on the bottom of my mags to number them. Makes it easier to identify any issues at the range and pull a mag from rotation

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Another vote for Wilson Combat, but you can't go wrong with McCormick, Mec-Gar, or Tripp mags. I picked up a handful of used Kimber mags for the range recently from Ebay for a steal, and they all functioned flawlessly.

@Jstudz220 is right, don't skimp on mags, especially if you're going to be carrying them. I use a paint pen, and a series of dots on the bottom of my mags to number them. Makes it easier to identify any issues at the range and pull a mag from rotation
    I completely understand, I use only Pmags for the AR's since I've never had a mag related failure from them. I want to do the same for the 1911, but I do shop for deals to be able to buy more. I like to have a adequate supply for all my guns.
    This is what I'm getting. I've shot plenty of R/I 1911's even some in 10mm, loved them all. I got a killer deal so I am happy I got it.

Attachments

• 1911.png
      1911.png
      2.4 MB · Views: 69

logan350z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2023
    Riverview
    If not OEM, Wilson is a g2g.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Anyone else a Rock Island fan?? I love these G10 grip and smooth lightweight trigger it has.
    I had one that I got rid of, can't say I was a fan, but it was a lower end model. Like anything else, I'm sure you get what you pay for. I think the only RIA I would purchase now would be the .22TCM

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Most 1911 function problems seem to trace back to magazines. I have "more than a few" 1911's and they all are fed with Wilson Combat mags. "Buy once, cry once" applies.

I like the 47D with the steel base pad.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Well this is my first, but not my last so I will buy more. I have handled and shot high end to lower end guns and other than trigger or grips I couldn't tell much difference at all. I shot just as good a group with a Taurus as the Kimbers and Colts so I have a hard time justifying spending alot more for a name.

I would certainly buy a rock island over a taurus, the taurus parts are "their own spec" so not much can be upgraded or replaced. Plus the taurus is overpriced when compared to the rock island or the turkish 1911s. I'm not sold on colt, don't believe the gun is any better than anything else in the price range. Kimbers are hit or miss, they make a lot of guns so that may be expected, though I still find kimber to be overpriced to some extent depending on the model.

Smith and Wesson makes a very nice 1911, I have a few and have handled more and they do a good job on fit and finish. Ruger also makes a very nice 1911 for the price their parts are "in spec" and fit well. I have used a few ruger gunbroker parts kits to build on 80 frames and the parts were drop in fit.

Also picked up a dan wesson parts kit and building it I can certainly attest to the parts quality of that brand, non MIM internals sure are nice. You can see the difference between those parts and the guts of the kimbers, colts, s&w, etc. But the Taurus guts are substandard compared to anything else.

Building on 80 frames certainly shows the quality differences,

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Well this is my first, but not my last so I will buy more. I have handled and shot high end to lower end guns and other than trigger or grips I couldn't tell much difference at all. I shot just as good a group with a Taurus as the Kimber's and Colts so I have a hard time justifying spending alot more for a name.
    Really, the differences are more in the various small parts that make up the action of the gun. The "lower end" manufacturers use MIM parts. These work great until they don't. When replacing the parts, just use high quality parts and have them fit correctly to the firearm. I remember in the 90's that a lot of Norinco 1911's were imported and redone with quality parts and they were absolutely fantastic. I don't knock any manufacturer that uses good quality steel for the frame and slide. Everything else can be replaced over time. Welcome to the 1911 brotherhood.

Wavecraft

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    West Hills California
    Do not buy Pro Mag, they are absolute pieces of junk for any make or model. Mec-Gar 8 round mags are good quality, I haven't had any reliability issues with Mec-Gar mags. For extended 10 roung mags I would choose Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat. But my favorite 1911 mag is the 8 round Act Mag.

Top Bottom