Whats the difference between.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Actually CrkdLtr I have been looking for plans that dont involve anything more than tight fitting joints (if possable) You do some beautiful work but we were kinda going "old school" so we could put lots and lots of clear on it. Is that possable or would we need to use resin and cloth tape?

There's another boat builder, Uncle John's Pirogue. http://unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

His might be a little more to your liking. His plans involve building stems & ribs, screwing/gluing the side panels to the ribs and stems and then gluing/screwing the bottom to the wood.

With his design you can get away with not using fiberglass, however, I would highly advise getting a hold of marine grade plywood. There's also some sort of boat building term or method that I can't think of the name, but it involves gluing/screwing a piece of wood along the bottom of the sides so that you can glue and screw the bottom into the boat and with ample amounts of clear you can get away without fiberglassing.

Hope this helps

If you send an email to the buy he's real nice and will answer any question you have.

Actually I've already asked the question for you regarding this over at www.southernpaddler.com

I'll let you know what I find out.

Last edited:

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    Thats what we were going for. About the plywood, we were gonna use solid cypress planed down to the 1/4" thickness we needed. Is that not a good idea?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Thats what we were going for. About the plywood, we were gonna use solid cypress planed down to the 1/4" thickness we needed. Is that not a good idea?

I"m quite jealous you have that available... :eek3::eek3::eek3:

Cypress probably the best material to work with, especially since it's solid wood.

This gentleman here uses sunken cypress and builds his boats out of cypress exclusively. As a matter of fact, if you've been to Bass Pro in Denham Springs, he's the gentleman who built the pirouges used in that store for their merchandise.

http://www.keithspirogues.com/boatsalongthebayou.html

Last edited:

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I"m quite jealous you have that available... :eek3::eek3::eek3:

Cypress probably the best material to work with, especially since it's solid wood.

This gentleman here uses sunken cypress and builds his boats out of cypress exclusively. As a matter of fact, if you've been to Bass Pro in Denham Springs, he's the gentleman who built the pirouges used in that store for their merchandise.

http://www.keithspirogues.com/boatsalongthebayou.html

No need to be jealous, if your anywhere near New Iberia your welcome to use the shop. We have seen the ones you are talking about. Thats kinda where we got the idea from.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    He is kinda in between. He finished his weblos book but needs to be 11 to be in scouts so now hes just doing some of the extra stuff.

Grits,

No longer true. He can join a Troop at age 10.5 or he can join if he is ten and completed the fifth grade.

Get him in a Troop now, especially when they may be doing more exciting trips during the summer.

Chuck WB5QBK
    Troop 5 Shreveport

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    We are working on finding a troop. Im looking for one with adult supervision but with as little adult interaction as possable. If that makes sence. In other words I hate having the leaders and volunteers kids being the only ones to advance. When the wife and I were running our pack we had more problems with the parents than we did the kids.

Top Bottom