What's your kit count?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Zilch. I totally missed the boat...it wasn't even a few years ago Romy G kits with original barrels were sub-$100 and now they're $300+. Talk about return on an investment. I still throw up in my mouth a little when I think of how many times I could've ordered dozens and didn't.

At this point it's barely worth doing a kit build unless you're looking for something special. Otherwise you'll spend more than something pre-built or a Saiga conversion.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Zilch. I totally missed the boat...it wasn't even a few years ago Romy G kits with original barrels were sub-$100 and now they're $300+. Talk about return on an investment. I still throw up in my mouth a little when I think of how many times I could've ordered dozens and didn't.

At this point it's barely worth doing a kit build unless you're looking for something special. Otherwise you'll spend more than something pre-built or a Saiga conversion.

That year I skipped my annual ROTH investment and spent the money on AK kits insted.

Bought from $99 to $140 (Delivered)

This crossed my mind this weekend when I was visiting La and went through my partskits bins and checked my mail...

Shoulda cashed out of the stock market and bought AK kits. :mamoru:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans

I remember think why the hell would I pay 300$ for a krink kit :(

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I've got a little over 30 kits left...

Just did an inventory last month. Surprisingly I have more Yugoslavian kits than Romanians. Couple years back Centerfire advertised Romanian underfolders, and by mistake #1Bambam called Aim Surplus. They said they had them, so I called. I bought 10 kits at $200 each. Real Romanian underfolders are gold. When they arrived they turned out to be Yugoslavian underfolders. I was going to return them, but some instinct made me stop. Sure glad I stopped. With the ones I had already it put me at 27 Yugoslavian AK kits. Probably 11 of them had shot-out bores, but when Centerfire ran their $12 each Yugoslavian AK barrel sale I loaded up on them, and now all my Yugoslavian kits have almost brand-new barrels.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the Romanian RPK kits accurate. Most had shot-out bores, and the Green Mountain barrels are too thin at the receiver to fit a real Romanian RPK trunnion.

I didn't get too many AK74 kits. Too bad, because I have a LOT of 5.45mm ammo.

At the moment I have an 1880s Nepalese Snider cavalry carbine on my bench. It's in surprisingly good condition.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

I didn't get too many AK74 kits. Too bad, because I have a LOT of 5.45mm ammo.

At the moment I have an 1880s Nepalese Snider cavalry carbine on my bench. It's in surprisingly good condition.

I found another Tantal kit...

Think that makes 5 74 kits I think (The rest Bulgarian) All original barrels.

I've got 10 almost done kits I didn't count in the total... Probably finish up a couple this week.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I found another Tantal kit...

Think that makes 5 74 kits I think (The rest Bulgarian) All original barrels.

I've got 10 almost done kits I didn't count in the total... Probably finish up a couple this week.

This thread ties in with the one about storage bags for guns. With all these AKs, I've realized the need for a way to store them, so I don't have to keep cleaning them. Likewise I think they'd be useful for long-term storage of kits, since I can't realistically build all the kits I have before I have to start worrying about rust.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?72120-Storage-Bag

Top Bottom