When will the adults show up and sort everything out?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    The more I read about current events, the more I want to just take my ball and go sit on the sidelines until the adults show up and sort everything out. Unfortunately, along the line somewhere I reached the maturity level to understand that's not an acceptable course of action. Tuning it all out seems selfish, but current events are so depressing these days. I appreciate it when folks come along and tell me it's not so bad, but I'm weary that accepting that is just optimism. Was it always this bad and I just didn't notice because I was self-absorbed? I'm concerned about our nation, but I know I'm guilty of not doing enough. I worry that someday I'm going to have to admit to my kids that I could have done something and helped stop this death spiral we seem to be in, but I let it slip through my fingers while I was trying to maneuver myself into a position of influence where I might affect the change that was needed. Maybe it's the constant bombardment by the media and sensationalism, but I'm fairly certain something here is amiss. Does anyone else feel this burden? Am I being melodramatic? What are we going to have to do to fix this? I think traditionally people that share my views have been the silent majority. Are we willing to become the vocal minority? Will we have to? A friend of mine once compared our domestic politics to a pendulum. It's enlightening, but what happens if it stops swinging back as far as it needs to maintain this, the last best hope of man on Earth. Will we will sentence our children to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness? Okay that was melodramatic, but I miss Reagan.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    It has always been "bad."

WW-I and WW-II were pretty damned bad. About as bad as it can get IMO.

In the 50's...we had the Cold War with the Superpowers doctrine of "mutually assured destruction" or MAD.

Then in the mid 70's...you just could not buy a full tank of gasoline because of the Arab oil embargo. And then run away inflation with interest rates for a new home purchase sitting at 14%

Throw in the Vietnam War...Racial unrest...street demonstrations...Black Panthers...Unibombers....IRA bombings...etc.

There has always been a lot of crap out there and Doomsday predictions. So far....Doomsday has not occurred. Granted...we have today's problems. But I am in the camp which believes that the USA will survive as long as the US Constitution prevails.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

I find that hard to believe, but not because I've lived during those times
    but because the people that I know that did, say different.

Yes political games have always been played on the back of the people
    but never has the country been more divided on so many major issues,
    and never has the media played such an intrinsic role in the hysteria.

At the same time, never has the entertainment saturation matched with
    and incredible sense of selfishness been so strong as it is today.

This is why the country can burn to the ground
    while people sit at home watching American Idol.

You see them, I see them....clueless people.
    Everything they know about US Rights comes from watching a decade of Law & Order
    and or COPS! You can hear them in radio interviews on the streets. People are so stupid today.
    They rant and rally and when you ask them why, they give the most absurd idiotic answers you've ever heard
    and that is true from LEFT to RIGHT!

I find myself caught in the middle a lot. I cringe when I hear these redneck idiots
    talking about revolution while carrying their deer rifle in McDonalds
    or talk about Obama wanting a Gestapo National Security Force.
    I do the same when I hear these North Easterners (where our country was born)
    declare bans on specific firearms under the guise of being safer
    and get sick to my stomach when I (used to) attempt to watch MSM literally walk you through a story
    helping you believe the point they want you to believe.

So...while I can't give an account for the past 40-50 years. I know people that can,
    and they say, this is the worse it's ever been.

:dunno:

Honestly, I don't care what it used to be like.
    I do what I can now to make it better. I support legislation
    that I feel makes sense as well as those politicians I feel can keep the US pointed in the right direction.

Sadly, my choices these days are extremely slim.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Yes, it's true there has always been strife and upheaval but I don't think we had a leader like the one we have now.

Last edited:

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    On another thread someone asked us to find "one example of a candidate, running for a national office who isn't doing it for money, power, influence and or prestige." A local candidate was mentioned, but it was acquiesced that he was unsuccessful. I was thinking to myself of Ted Cruz and Allen West, but I didn't want to post and have my point of view dashed on the rocks. Are there good guys still fighting the good fight?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner

In the 50's...we had the Cold War with the Superpowers doctrine of "mutually assured destruction" or MAD.

Then in the mid 70's...you just could not buy a full tank of gasoline because of the Arab oil embargo. And then run away inflation with interest rates for a new home purchase sitting at 14%

Throw in the Vietnam War...Racial unrest...street demonstrations...Black Panthers...Unibombers....IRA bombings...etc.

There has always been a lot of crap out there and Doomsday predictions. So far....Doomsday has not occurred. Granted...we have today's problems. But I am in the camp which believes that the USA will survive as long as the US Constitution prevails.

Yes it was this bad, however we did not have the instant/ slanted reporting agencies we have today. In the 70s it took weeks or months or maybe you never saw something on the news. Today something occurs 2500 miles away and its instantly broadcast everywhere for days and weeks. And the slants are extreme. No news agency reports the news or the facts anymore, its opinion. This is a huge part IMO of donward trend. Remember Fear is a great motivator. Fear of losing our fat and happy way of life, our 70" flat screen. Yes I am guilty of standing by myself and letting it happen, I also remember my grandparents saying some of the same things though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is only one way to stop runaway trains! Strategic derailing, starving the fuel source, or running out of track.

These thieves, liars, and traitors (that's what they are), in government will not stop ANYTHING or change ANY course as long as us working dummies keep fueling them with (tax) money.

So, you don't have to pay taxes on April 15th? Look at your paychecks. How are you going to stop it? You can't! Working under the table? Good for you! Look at your bills, your mortgage, your property tax statement, your gasoline bill. You are being fleeced to feed these derelicts!

Want more good news? 1/3 of all US citizens are over their heads on credit!

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    On another thread someone asked us to find "one example of a candidate, running for a national office who isn't doing it for money, power, influence and or prestige." A local candidate was mentioned, but it was acquiesced that he was unsuccessful. I was thinking to myself of Ted Cruz and Allen West, but I didn't want to post and have my point of view dashed on the rocks. Are there good guys still fighting the good fight?

Yes that seems to be the case here a lot recently.

No longer can you share your opinion just for the sake of doing so.
    You must provide quantitative mathematical formulations for why exactly you perceive what you do
    and then why you decided to make decisions off that perception.
    THEN once (why) has been determined by the aggressor
    you then must provide a 5000 word essay, complete with your source of empirical evidence
    showing that thorough proper scientific methodology was used before you dared to post your mere opinion.

While the aggressor simply sits back with his one word rebuttal. "Why"?
    or sometimes the 'Why' is used in at least a 15 word sentence
    that could have and should have just as easily been written 'Why'?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Yes that seems to be the case here a lot recently.

No longer can you share your opinion just for the sake of doing so.
    You must provide quantitative mathematical formulations for why exactly you perceive what you do
    and then why you decided to make decisions off that perception.
    THEN once (why) has been determined by the aggressor
    you then must provide a 5000 word essay, complete with your source of empirical evidence
    showing that thorough proper scientific methodology was used before you dared to post your mere opinion.

While the aggressor simply sits back with his one word rebuttal. "Why"?
    or sometimes the 'Why' is used in at least a 15 word sentence
    that could have and should have just as easily been written 'Why'?

No one should ever feel intimidated here or anywhere else. That's exactly what happens in government. The "in" crowd stifles participation by overbearing regulation or fear of economic reprisal (a la pop up IRS audits, impromptu OSHA visits, anonymous complaints to Department of Labor, etc), that WILL bring you down.

Unfortunately, those that can defend themselves or others from reprisal are few and far between. There is a definitive gap between those that sincerely want to participate and those that decide who does! The answers is out there!

Figure the truth out! ;)

But NEVER be afraid!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    everyone's willing to fight until they realize that it involves work, pain, and risk- at which point you find out who truly wants change and who doesn't pretty quickly.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No one should ever feel intimidated here or anywhere else. That's exactly what happens in government. The "in" crowd stifles participation by overbearing regulation or fear of economic reprisal (a la pop up IRS audits, impromptu OSHA visits, anonymous complaints to Department of Labor, etc), that WILL bring you down.

Unfortunately, those that can defend themselves or others from reprisal are few and far between. There is a definitive gap between those that sincerely want to participate and those that decide who does! The answers is out there!

Figure the truth out! ;)

But NEVER be afraid!

everyone's willing to fight until they realize that it involves work, pain, and risk- at which point you find out who truly wants change and who doesn't pretty quickly.

Great Post's!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yes it was this bad, however we did not have the instant/ slanted reporting agencies we have today. In the 70s it took weeks or months or maybe you never saw something on the news. Today something occurs 2500 miles away and its instantly broadcast everywhere for days and weeks. And the slants are extreme. No news agency reports the news or the facts anymore, its opinion. This is a huge part IMO of donward trend. Remember Fear is a great motivator. Fear of losing our fat and happy way of life, our 70" flat screen. Yes I am guilty of standing by myself and letting it happen, I also remember my grandparents saying some of the same things though.

Best answer.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Remember Fear is a great motivator. Fear of losing our fat and happy way of life, our 70" flat screen. Yes I am guilty of standing by myself and letting it happen, I also remember my grandparents saying some of the same things though.

Man! I ALMOST wish we would lose the 70" flat screens, the constant social media barrage, the free crap every where. It would truly be the great equalizer then. Everyone would have to work for what they need and the rest would just eventually go away.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Those are the right answers. Things have always been both good and bad. Sometimes more of one than the other. Now we have "news" outlets that are cornering various fears and just reinforcing them 24/7. Do you think the Republicans are running the country into the ground? We have channels and sites for that. Do you think Democrats are the fault of all problems in your life? We have channels and sites for that. Whatever the "news" item is it can be spun however you need it to be. Kinda of like statistics and polls. Spending more time at these various outlets does not make you more informed, it makes you less. Unplug

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I read an editorial recently that argued that much of the nihilism and melancholy expressed by folks born after 1960 can be attributed to the fact that America has not decisively won anything nationally since WW2, the space race and, the cold war. America demonstrated we were exceptional in the clearest of methods - we led the world in a fight against evil and won! Unfortunately, folks born after that have been taught that: America was founded by slave owning evil doers, that we have corrupted and exploited everyone around the world, that we create the most pollution, and on and on and on - negative, negative, negative... It's no wonder that superficially, things do look pretty tough right now. Negativity is the logical conclusion of such an exercise. (I know this is poorly written and I apologize that I can't remember who wrote the original editorial). But, I still have not lost faith in my fellow citizens, family, the God of my choice.

Myself, I belong to and support as many organizations as i can afford to, I write emails - letters - call my legislators. And, that's about all I can do. But, buy DAMN, I refuse to let systemically delivered fear turn me into an angry lunatic.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Those are the right answers. Things have always been both good and bad. Sometimes more of one than the other. Now we have "news" outlets that are cornering various fears and just reinforcing them 24/7. Do you think the Republicans are running the country into the ground? We have channels and sites for that. Do you think Democrats are the fault of all problems in your life? We have channels and sites for that. Whatever the "news" item is it can be spun however you need it to be. Kinda of like statistics and polls. Spending more time at these various outlets does not make you more informed, it makes you less. Unplug

I agree with you except for the end. unplugging is hiding your head in the sand. It's not easy, but what we have to do is comb through both sides to filter out the dross and pick out the little tidbits that hold true from both perspectives, and see the way both sides balance out. That's the only way to get to the truth. Or to put it another way, you have to mesure both extremes to find the true middle ground.

Top Bottom