Where can I buy black powder in SELA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaSOB

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Baton Rouge LA
    Hey, Y'all -

Haven't posted in many moons, just don't get online much especially since the flood. Cleaning up and making repairs after having 4 feet of water in your house is a full-time job!

Good news is that I salvaged all my firearms - most had some surface rust that came off with Kroil and a Scotchbrite pad. I'm especially happy that my Three-Band Enfield came through looking almost untouched. The Hawken, not so much, but since it's a Frankenrifle that I pieced together in the first place, I'll just wipe some G96 on the barrel and be done with it.

Which brings me to my question - where in tarnation does one go in the Baton Rouge area to buy real black powder? Used to be everywhere, even at Evil Wally, but now you can't buy, borrow or mooch any. Is there a source anywhere within an hour's drive of Red Stick for Goex or even some of the German and Swiss powders? I only need a couple of pounds of FFg, and I can't see paying HAZMAT plus shipping for that.

Any input will be appreciated!

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There's a fellow up in Bunkie that handles real blackpowder. He is the only one around that I know of. Don't know his name maybe someone from that area will know him. Let me know if you go up there, I might need a few pounds.

Beauxdog

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Take a drive up to Marksville, LA and see his Honor Angelo J. Piazza, III. He is the judge there.

He is big into Civil War reenacting and got into black powder distributing to assist his fellow reenactors. Interesting guy and plan on spending some time with him if he's not busy.

Call ahead with your order and schedule an appointment.
    http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

DaSOB

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Baton Rouge LA
    Well, I'm still skunked. I called Judge Piazza, and he won't have any 2F until after the first of the year. I even asked about 3F, and I was told to check with www.Powderinc.com. They have plenty, but the minimum purchase is 5 lb. No way I'll ever use up 5 lb before I go to that Great Shooting Range in the Sky.

Why in the world is it so danged impossible to buy black powder? Used to be that even Wal-Mart carried the stuff. Nowadays it's worse than finding hen's teeth. Maybe the new-fangled BP substitutes and inline pelletized stuff have seduced many shooters who used to use Holy Black the way God intended. I dunno, I'm just really getting frustrated.

Top Bottom