Where cop-killers get their guns...in-depth real research

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    in the washington post
    The washington post did some real research to investigate every LEO killing and tracked the serial numbers of the weapons found...interesting food for thought.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    So, did anyone else notice this part:

This kind of analysis is made more difficult by a law passed by Congress in 2003 that bars federal law enforcement from releasing information that links guns used in crimes back to the original purchasers. To penetrate that secrecy, The Post interviewed more than 350 police officials, prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges, gun dealers, gun buyers, suspects and survivors. In 30 cases, the newspaper obtained confidential firearms traces generated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

I LOL'd when they admitted they violated federal law.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    AND

IMHO

What the hell does it matter where they get the guns.......killing the LEO is the problem ( crime ) ...the gun didn't leave home and shoot anyone

Yes + 1 to just more gun control propaganda

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    More gun control propaganda.

No, this, at least on its face, looks reasonable.

But, note how many of the officer shootings were at "domestic disputes", where the shooters were (presumably) legally armed and in their own homes.

If those were separated out, the percentage of stolen weapons used would be much higher.

We should not fear the truth.

To me, the moral is: Officers, be extremely careful on "domestic" calls.

leVieux

GWB

dumb? you better be tough
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Fleming Island, FL
    51 they used the cops own gun! We must ban cops from having guns!

+1 :rofl:

I have a friend who is a LEO in New Jersey, he is issued 2 weapons, but has been trying to get a permit to buy a personal pistol for over a year now, and he keeps getting the hit with red tape at every turn. I think its funny that he can carry his weapon almost anywhere, but can't buy one.

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    One question on the "legally obtained" weapons is how many were straw man purchaces? If so they are not "legal" purchaces.

According to the article, a confounder in "legally obtained" weapons is that criminals frequently plead to misdemeanor offenses, which would not exclude one from purchasing a firearm legally. I suspect this happens a lot in New Orleans, where the resources to prosecute are low.

Also, crazies who haven't been committed to a psych facility are a contributing factor.

Last edited:

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    It's sad that some people assume that this is all gun control propaganda without actually reading the article in it's entirety. If anything, it supports the lawful gun owner as a non-participant in law enforcement killings. And yes, it absolutely matters where the guns come from because only when a source is identified can an intervention take place.

Legally obtained (107 cases)
    Stolen (77)
    Police gun (51)
    Borrowed or taken from relatives (46)
    Obtained on the street (41)
    Straw purchase (16)
    Illegal purchase from gun show or private seller (3)

State with highest # of LEO killings: California
    #2: New York
    #3: Louisiana

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It's sad that some people assume that this is all gun control propaganda without actually reading the article in it's entirety. If anything, it supports the lawful gun owner as a non-participant in law enforcement killings. And yes, it absolutely matters where the guns come from because only when a source is identified can an intervention take place.

Stolen (77)
    Police gun (51)
    Straw purchase (16)

Funny how everyone they quote and every group they consulted supported more gun control. They used "Facts" from the Violence policy center and Mayor Bloombergs anti gun group of Merry Mayors. Very pro gun piece...

Gun Control is simple. Every Free Man and Woman in this country should be able to purchase a firearm. Period. If you are fit to be free and on your own in society, your are fit to own a firearm in our country. Any form of gun control beyond this is unconstitutional.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    They do need to increase the penalty for possession of a weapon by a felon. If they made it a mandatory 10 year sentence then we'd have a lot of felons off the street.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

Stolen (77)
    Police gun (51)
    Straw purchase (16)

I read the piece. Top to bottom, front to back, inside out.

It is 100% PURE ANTI GUN, SCARE THE PUBLIC PROPAGANDA. It serves no other purpose.

REAL Research is NEVER performed by the media. If this was a study performed by a law enforcement agency or a university, I would lend much more credence to their statistics and methods.

Any time an LEO is killed in the line of duty, it is an absolute tragedy. We learn from each of these instances, and train to attempt to prevent it from happening again.

"Louisiana is #3 in the nation." I've lived in Louisiana for 38 years now and last I heard, we didn't have cops being slaughtered in the streets on a daily basis. This piece was DESIGNED to further SCARE a public who is for the most part IGNORANT about guns. The people this article was written for 1) Don't own a gun 2) Are terrified by guns 3) Think only the Police should have guns 4) In their fear and ignorance, do everything they can to further perpetuate the ideas set forth in the article ie: GUNS ARE EVIL, WE SHOULD BAN GUNS.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They do need to increase the penalty for possession of a weapon by a felon. If they made it a mandatory 10 year sentence then we'd have a lot of felons off the street.

Nope, they should keep men not fit to be free behind bars and all free men should have equal rights to own firearms.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    No, this, at least on its face, looks reasonable.

But, note how many of the officer shootings were at "domestic disputes", where the shooters were (presumably) legally armed and in their own homes.

If those were separated out, the percentage of stolen weapons used would be much higher.

We should not fear the truth.

To me, the moral is: Officers, be extremely careful on "domestic" calls.

leVieux

I was under the impression that when LEOs respond to domestics, they are to take all parties outside the house/establishment. This helps the officer to get control of his surroundings. This is what I thought, anyway.

Once, when I went to the local Sheriff's office to request a welfare check on my children at their mother's, the deputies noticed a neighbor a couple yards over shooting a BB gun or a .22 in their back yard. The deputies went over there first, demanded they stop shooting until they left, then interviewed my children and their mother.

So, I really do think they are trying to get the best control of their environment or they should be doing so.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Furthermore, I will state this: I will hold no ill will against any officer who draws his gun and points (and fires, if necessary) while responding to a domestic, if a party has a gun. In a domestic, situations are heated and emotions are flaring. It can very easily get ugly very quickly.

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    REAL Research is NEVER performed by the media. If this was a study performed by a law enforcement agency or a university, I would lend much more credence to their statistics and methods.
    Aaaand...it's illegal for the government to release information about a gun's history so the next best thing is to find an organization that has the resources to unearth this information. Given that this forum frequently likes to throw around "stats" from media polls that show Obama's approval rating as if it's gospel (don't even get me started on the methods there), I'd say the information here isn't half bad.

Any time an LEO is killed in the line of duty, it is an absolute tragedy. We learn from each of these instances, and train to attempt to prevent it from happening again.

"Louisiana is #3 in the nation." I've lived in Louisiana for 38 years now and last I heard, we didn't have cops being slaughtered in the streets on a daily basis. This piece was DESIGNED to further SCARE a public who is for the most part IGNORANT about guns. The people this article was written for 1) Don't own a gun 2) Are terrified by guns 3) Think only the Police should have guns 4) In their fear and ignorance, do everything they can to further perpetuate the ideas set forth in the article ie: GUNS ARE EVIL, WE SHOULD BAN GUNS.

I just thought it was interesting that two of the states with the most stringent gun control laws were actually #1 and #2. The article does not make it sound like Louisiana has cops killed everyday. In fact, they've tallied 550 killings in the ENTIRE country in 10 years. If a cop was killed in Louisiana everyday for 10 years, that would be 3650 cops killed in our state alone. The article doesn't even come close to suggesting that cops are being slaughtered and I don't find it particularly scary.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    The 2 states above Louisiana in this list do have very restrictive gun laws. I agree with that statement. But what else do they have in common? Think about that question.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom