Where is a good place to hike/walk near Baton Rouge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    50 Hikes in Louisiana: Walks, Hikes, and Backpacks in the Bayou State

You may find this book useful if you're into hiking:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/50-Hikes-Louisiana-Walks-Backpacks/dp/0881505986/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241200743&sr=8-1[/ame]

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    If you're just wanting to exercise, the path around the LSU lakes is pretty good. If you want to be out in nature, then Tunica is probably one of the closest good hiking trails.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    You might check out around the Port Hudson Battlefield area north of baker on Hwy 61. I believe they have trails there, too.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    bump.... cuz i have the same question. If it ever cools off one afternoon, me and the mrs. are looking for a cool place to go hike. Other than LSU. (lived there for four years, and I've done the lakes enough).

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've been walking from Spanish Town to the water treatment center on the levee bike trail.

Basically down to the river, on the levee, past the USS Kid, past the interstate, to where I can see Tiger Stadium right across from the water treatment area.

Round trip is about 6 miles. Fat Boy is tired after walking that!

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Another option for hiking would be the Comite Bike Trails off Hooper Rd in North Baton Rouge. Granted you will have to yield to bikers but still it's a challenging walk and lots of sites.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    bike trails

the trails are roughly 15 miles if you do both the old and new side.

I would carry a pistol if your walking on the old side.

I ride there on the weekends and there have been a few times I was glad I had it on my person.

You can see a pond or two there as well as me falling and busting my butt if you listen close you can hear me cuss too! :mad:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I would carry a pistol if your walking on the old side.

I ride there on the weekends and there have been a few times I was glad I had it on my person.

While this is true because of the amount of snakes out there, he's referring more to the local neighborhood thugs and drug addicts that sneak out in the woods looking to jack bike riders. :mad:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    jacking riders

I dont know if that actually happens, However I have ridden into a nest of bad looking guys that were out there fishing (with NO poles) or so they said.. overall, its a nice place.. lots of work went into the trails..

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I dont know if that actually happens, However I have ridden into a nest of bad looking guys that were out there fishing (with NO poles) or so they said.. overall, its a nice place.. lots of work went into the trails..

In talking with the other bike riders of that trail, anyone with common sense doesn't park their vehicle at that park anymore due to a rash of break ins. So I wouldn't be suprised if they ever tried to rob or commit grand theft bicycle (seriously since most of the bikes cost over $500 out there).

Top Bottom