Where to get all the info on 1911's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I need some reading material so I think I need to educate myself on "all things 1911"! Where's my one stop shop for 1911 information such as model series, types, different barrel lengths etc etc?

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Have you tried looking into videos put out by Wilson Combat? I remember using a series of their videos in the 1990's to build my 1911. Of course the videos were on VHS, LOL.

Sasquatch69

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 4, 2020
    Lafayette
    Sasquatch, I already have both volumes of the Kuhnhausen 1911 shop manuals , but am not familiar with Kuleck. What do the Kuleck manuals cover ?

For me it was a helpful guide when building my first 1911. Tips and helpful hints.
    IMG_20230723_183451249.jpg

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    A word or two on parts swapping. If your gun budget is slim and you buy an entry level gun as a range toy, resist the temptation to put high end "upgrade" fire control parts in it. Save that money for ammo or reloading components and shoot your gun until the parts fail then consider "upgrades". You will very likely find the parts won't fail.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have a 1911 book, older, pretty sure it is the gun digest book of the 1911. Written by dean a grennell, probably spelled his name wrong. Its from the late eighties, early nineties. Not a bad book, covers some history and other ramblings, a good read, but not a technical manual by any means. I would see if you could find a copy.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    These 2 are good, Jerry Kuhnhausen knows his stuff. Maybe a bit on the dry side to read, but plenty of info.

1) THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC: A SHOP MANUAL: VOLUME 1, EXPANDED 10TH EDITION: With this expanded 10th edition, the original and time tested Colt 45 Auto/M1911 pistol bench manual is now in it's 18th printing and remains the best bench inspection, trouble shooting, repair, hand fitting and basic accurizing manual ever published on the subject.

There are 100's of photos and illustrations. It covers the Colt Government model, including series 80's, and the U.S. Military M1911 and M1911A1 models. It also covers most copies and clones of the M1911 pistol. Necessary tooling is also shown.

Readers have commented that the new 10th edition has lots more information and might make earlier editions obsolete. All we can say is we sincerely hope not, because the earlier editions are still full of useful information - The 10th edition just has a whole lot more.

Bench edition - 229 pages with plastic laminated soft cover, 100's of photos and illustrations, expanded 10th edition, 2015.

2) THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS AND COMMERCIAL M1911 TYPE PISTOLS - A SHOP MANUAL VOLUME 2: Volume 2 adds to, but does not replace Kuhnhausen's original Volume 1.

600 new drawings, graphics & photos specially produced for this superb new book. Volume 2 continues on where Volume 1 leaves off. And, Volume 2 has even more:

More on basic pistol function; more on design theory; more parts data; more on parts fitting; more on barrel fitting; more on accurizing; more on reliability; and more on everything...

Expanded edition - 207 pages with plastic laminated soft cover.

This superbook is absolutely loaded with new & updated material, parts dimensions & hardness specs, and the nuts and bolts tech data required to dimensionally inspect, restore, repair & build super accurate, super reliable, "blueprint" quality carry and competition grade M1911's.

With Kuhnhausen's original Volume 1 and the new Volume 2 you have in hand more practical M1911 info & tech data than ever before published in the entire history of the U.S. M1911 & M1911A1 Pistols!

Volume 2 is the ultimate tech data manual for all M1911, M1911A1 & M1911 type Pistols-

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys! I have my work cut out for me. I just need to know a good bit about the weapon I'm playing with. I know it's not the same but I pulled down my Puma 1911-22 to inspect/clean it. I was a little intimidated by it till I understood the design. The 1911 being a vastly superior designed Handgun, I want to know what I'm doing when I do get to tear it down. Thanks guys!

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    A word or two on parts swapping. If your gun budget is slim and you buy an entry level gun as a range toy, resist the temptation to put high end "upgrade" fire control parts in it. Save that money for ammo or reloading components and shoot your gun until the parts fail then consider "upgrades". You will very likely find the parts won't fail.
    I disagree. From my experience the first thing to replace in a cheap 1911 is the fire control. Ironically the first thing most folks replace is a drop in barrel: even the lower quality barrels can typically "out shoot" the average person. You can mic the barrel and buy an semi custom bushing and guide rod and tighten up the front end with minimal investment. From what I have learned from the best smiths is an action job is the #1 modification for accuracy along with a trigger job. The action job starts by welding the rails and machining them for a tight but smooth fit with the slide, and then ensuring the barrel, link, hood, lockup is solid. I guess this sets a proper "smithed" custom apart from the rest.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I disagree. From my experience the first thing to replace in a cheap 1911 is the fire control. Ironically the first thing most folks replace is a drop in barrel: even the lower quality barrels can typically "out shoot" the average person. You can mic the barrel and buy an semi custom bushing and guide rod and tighten up the front end with minimal investment. From what I have learned from the best smiths is an action job is the #1 modification for accuracy along with a trigger job. The action job starts by welding the rails and machining them for a tight but smooth fit with the slide, and then ensuring the barrel, link, hood, lockup is solid. I guess this sets a proper "smithed" custom apart from the rest.
    Well I'm definitely not going to take this 4.25 inch barrel gun and go shoot competitions with it so the first thing (which I try to do with all my guns) is to smooth up and or lighten the trigger if necessary. I'm sure this pistol I'm getting will out shoot me and thats just fine. I understand what you are saying, but I doubt I would even be able to tell a difference in my pistol shooting ability even if I did all that. Rifle....maybe, pistol ..no.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Like Abby Normal posted above and at the risk of repeating myself

...... youtube .......

Why read a book when there is video you can pause , rewind, slow down or speed up right in front of you, doing step by step of all aspects of 1911 care ,cleaning, upgrades , modifications, etc..etc.. and not just 1911
    just skip thru the youtube boobs and find the legit builders.

( actually some of the youtube-boobs are funny and you can learn what not to do )

AND don't modify anything till you have shot a few boxes of ammo. You'd be suprised how a 1911 can smooth itself out

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Like Abby Normal posted above and at the risk of repeating myself

...... youtube .......

Why read a book when there is video you can pause , rewind, slow down or speed up right in front of you, doing step by step of all aspects of 1911 care ,cleaning, upgrades , modifications, etc..etc.. and not just 1911
    just skip thru the youtube boobs and find the legit builders.

( actually some of the youtube-boobs are funny and you can learn what not to do )

AND don't modify anything till you have shot a few boxes of ammo. You'd be suprised how a 1911 can smooth itself out
    I will definitely shoot it a bunch before I do anything to it. But I was wondering about replacing the sights as thats the first thing about it I didn't like. I'm going to research that before I get it out being I have some time on my hands. Thanks for all the input, very much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom